Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
This is the M100 and as you previous stated Bryston is using the cheap parts of Axiom ( just the change in the drivers color and the M100 using a external DSP) .

BTW they were both in the same room and had the chance to listen both .

And the results of listening to them left you with what impressions on each?

·
Registered
237 Posts
This is the M100 and as you previous stated Bryston is using the cheap parts of Axiom ( just the change in the drivers color and the M100 using a external DSP) . BTW they were both in the same room and had the chance to listen both . http://s1118.photobucket.com/user/Fernando_Santos/media/SSI%202012/DSCN1586.jpg.html
Axiom now has a new 61/2 woofer, new tweeters and a different crossover in the HP models so has the parts quality improved?

What about the sound quality? Bryston has been getting rave reviews for their Model T. Haven't seen much press on the Model A's which are similar to the Axiom's.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Axiom now has a new 61/2 woofer, new tweeters and a different crossover in the HP models so has the parts quality improved?
What about the sound quality?
After swapping out my M80's for M80HP's I can confirm they are a different breed, with a better sound, and the cross overs work well. Some of its subtle, at least at first. Once you sit down to listen the nuances become note worthy.
I hate to say anything bad about the M80, I didn't notice any issues with them and wish I could keep them too.
Now that I've got the HP's set up properly, I'm impressed. So much so we often turn off the surrounds and view satellite content in 3.1.
It could be the room dimensions are helping me here but there's no going back.

·
Registered
237 Posts
After swapping out my M80's for M80HP's I can confirm they are a different bread, with a better sound, and the cross overs work well. Some of its subtle, at least at first. Once you sit down to listen the nuances become note worthy. I hate to say anything bad about the M80, I didn't notice any issues with them and wish I could keep them too. Now that I've got the HP's set up properly, I'm impressed. So much so we often turn off the surrounds and view satellite content in 3.1. It could be the room dimensions are helping me here but there's no going back.
Nice!

·
Registered
310 Posts
And the results of listening to them left you with what impressions on each?
From those 2 specific models ... not impressed at all for there price range $3000 and + . I said to the owners of the M80 at the time to keep them not worthed the investment .

For us Canadians Axiom is not very well ... per say , respected and they did that to themselves but for me the QS8 is still one of the best surround speakers available in the market . For a front stage in the same price range i would consider other brands specially for the ones in the US .

·
Registered
237 Posts
From those 2 specific models ... not impressed at all for there price range $3000 and + . I said to the owners of the M80 at the time to keep them not worthed the investment . For us Canadians Axiom is not very well ... per say , respected and they did that to themselves but for me the QS8 is still one of the best surround speakers available in the market . For a front stage in the same price range i would consider other brands specially for the ones in the US .
Interesting seeing how the Axiom's held up in Home Theater Shack $3000 evaluation. The only speaker they seemed to dislike or didn't get excited about was the Polk.

Not familiar how Axiom dismissed the Canadians?

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
I was very impressed with the Axiom in the recent listening event at Sonnie's, but only after we moved it out into the room and optimized the position. Superb speaker.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Interesting seeing how the Axiom's held up in Home Theater Shack $3000 evaluation. The only speaker they seemed to dislike or didn't get excited about was the Polk.

Not familiar how Axiom dismissed the Canadians?
Yeah the Canadian affair is for another day and other tread this is not the right one . I can give you a example without without creating any controversy . In another forum i caught one guy that was passing himself as axiom speaker owner and in fact he was and still is a Axiom employee .

Let's keep it like that one day if the subject comes up i will share what happen .:T

·
Registered
17 Posts
Alma:

Your statement ref Canucks not respecting Axiom is a rather over-generaization and is quite frankly misleading.

I had so little respect for Axiom that I recently purchased 3 full sets (1 HT and 2 audio only) to replace my original audio set from the early 1990s that carried a 'Lifetime Warranty'. They were still performing like new when I retired them - still under warranty that I never had to access.

Just because they are not for you doesn't mean that many, many more don''t value and enjoy them immensely - whether they be Canucks or whatever...

TAM

·
Registered
100 Posts
From those 2 specific models ... not impressed at all for there price range $3000 and + . I said to the owners of the M80 at the time to keep them not worthed the investment .
Interesting. The reviews of the Brystons have been very favorable. The axiom review referenced above had me looking and that's when I stumbled upon the Brystons.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Interesting. The reviews of the Brystons have been very favorable. The axiom review referenced above had me looking and that's when I stumbled upon the Brystons.[/QUOTE

I think you need to listen to the speaker's and then be the judge. I have heard the new HP M80v4 and was surprised. I think it's a different speaker than the regular M80v3. As I said before the Axiom M100 did pretty well in the shack's $3000 evaluation.

If you don't like the stock finish spend the extra $$ and upgrade the finish. Bryston's philosophy was to get the best sound at a reasonable price.

Me, I'm waiting for my Legacy Aeris. In another form the Legacy's were getting beat up over their crossover. I don't think you can make everyone happy. The idea is to make yourself happy.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Alma:

Your statement ref Canucks not respecting Axiom is a rather over-generaization and is quite frankly misleading.

I had so little respect for Axiom that I recently purchased 3 full sets (1 HT and 2 audio only) to replace my original audio set from the early 1990s that carried a 'Lifetime Warranty'. They were still performing like new when I retired them - still under warranty that I never had to access.

Just because they are not for you doesn't mean that many, many more don''t value and enjoy them immensely - whether they be Canucks or whatever...

TAM
Sorry but i wont enter in a argument with you and clearly you have a agenda . PS i stated before and i stand by it the QS8 are one of the best surround speakers available in the market but for the rest and in there price range i would shop around .

·
Registered
310 Posts
Interesting. The reviews of the Brystons have been very favorable. The axiom review referenced above had me looking and that's when I stumbled upon the Brystons.
My experience with both models were at the Salon Son & Image in Montreal in 2012 during 2 days . Had a small talk with Ian from Axiom and why ( at the time ) adding the external DSP sold with the speakers and i didn't saw any advantage at all for a speaker priced at $3200 ( speaker + DSP ) . Ian and Amy were very open for me to bring my own music and make it a run . This were not only my impressions but from several guys that attended the show like me .

·
Registered
237 Posts
My experience with both models were at the Salon Son & Image in Montreal in 2012 during 2 days . Had a small talk with Ian from Axiom and why ( at the time ) adding the external DSP sold with the speakers and i didn't saw any advantage at all for a speaker priced at $3200 ( speaker + DSP ) . Ian and Amy were very open for me to bring my own music and make it a run . This were not only my impressions but from several guys that attended the show like me .
I'm guessing you didn't hear the new woofer's, tweeter's and crossover. The woofer's were introduced in the M100 last summer and the tweeters late January along with a new crossover. I'm guessing the new drivers were introduced to make the Bryston A line and then introduced to the Axiom HP line.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I'm guessing you didn't hear the new woofer's, tweeter's and crossover. The woofer's were introduced in the M100 last summer and the tweeters late January along with a new crossover. I'm guessing the new drivers were introduced to make the Bryston A line and then introduced to the Axiom HP line.
If the tweeters are new as late January no i didn't heard them but maybe tomorrow i will listen them if they are presented at the SSI in Montreal ( could't make it today ) but i don't see axiom represented in the exhibitors list but Bryston is there .

·
Registered
237 Posts
No Axiom but Bryston is there. I think they are playing the Model T's in a custom finish. Bryston is showing all their models.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I recently upgraded from QS4s to the QS8s with new V4 tweeters. Quite distinctive appearance from the V3s with the new perforated faceplate.

They look quite nice in person and sound fine to me...

TAM

·
Registered
100 Posts
No Axiom but Bryston is there. I think they are playing the Model T's in a custom finish. Bryston is showing all their models.
Did you get a chance to listen to them?

41 - 60 of 65 Posts