Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

March 8th - Hello from sunny Chicago! :)

My day started out very well - I was actually able to get on the road by 5:30 - shocking I know. And, it just continued to get better and better!

The Marketplace was the first area open - the first place I stopped at................

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
AXPONA 2013 Discussion and Comments Thread

Awesome Joe... I know you are having a grand utopia of a time. :bigsmile:

Thanks very much for the coverage and I am looking forward to more great info. :T

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Re: AXPONA 2013 Show Report by Joe Alexander of HTS

Good stuff, keep it coming. We live vicariously through you.

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Awesome Joe... I know you are having a grand utopia of a time. :bigsmile:

Thanks very much for the coverage and I am looking forward to more great info. :T
Good stuff, keep it coming. We live vicariously through you.
I would be happy to review the Focal Grande Utopia if they were to send me a pair. :gulp:
Thank you gentlemen - it really was a great day! It is quite a different experience when every speaker you listen to sounds amazing and you really need to be nitpicky to attempt to decide which one you preferred.

Bill - I will see what I can work out for you. ;)

·
Registered
1,784 Posts

Sorry I missed you there ALM, I looked for the guy with the HTS shirts but did not see you at least not before they pulled the fire alarm. I have a good many photos if you find yourself in need.

Here was one of my favorite sounds at the show. Just stunning.

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Sorry I missed you Jack! I spent the entire day (except for maybe the first hour) on the 9th floor - saw that setup you posted a picture to - what a unique speaker!

I am just now downloading today's picture and will be recommencing updates shortly.....

·
Banned
22,577 Posts

Fire alarm? Did some of those amps get so hot it caught one of the rooms on fire?

·
Banned
22,577 Posts

Next up was the Legacy Audio / Morrow Cables room. I actually spent part of the first hour of Saturday in this room as well as I wanted to get a bit more listening time in on the Whispers.

There were two separate setups with 2 different speakers in each setup. Here are those configurations:

No code has to be inserted here.

All four of these speaker use the new dual Air Motion tweeter which allows them to extend bandwidth and dynamics due to the premium grade Neodymium magnetics and Kapton diaphragms which are stable to 750 degrees farenheit. To construct the tweeter, a 16" square piece of Kapton is folded into a 4" long, 1" wide chamber. This tweeter is mounted on the same faceplate as the complementary 1" AMT ribbon super-tweeter to give more uniform dispersion which gives the treble more weight and natural fullness.

Here are a few pictures:

These are the Whisper and Signature speakers - notice the very unique design of the Whisper:

Here is a picture of the back of the Whisper. The open design of the back really allowed you to move around the room and not really lose the soundfield:

Another view of the Whisper and Signature:

The Aeris and Focus speakers:

Here is a side view of the Aeris. What the picture does not show is that the panel on the side is opaque and there is a low level green glow eminating from inside the speaker where you can see some of the inner components:

I did not get to hear the Whispers very much - what I was able to glean from the time I had was a very wide soundstage with little to no degradation off axis, excellent dynamic range, and excellent clarity and detail.

The Aeris speakers have a very unique design and a beautiful finish. These also had fantastic dynamic range - no doubt a function of the Air Motion tweeter - with very crisp, clear vocals. During one track, there was a bass guitar playing with vocals and I was still able to hear a triangle being struck plain as day. On a different track, you could actually hear the pluck of the pick against the guitar string! Still another track provided some horn action - no desire to cringe when they were played - just excellent detail and clarity. The low end was fantastic as well - extremely tight bass.

I actually had a marvelous opportunity to speak with Bill Dudleston himself. He showed me the XP-4080 DSP they were using to do all room EQ and the software that allowed you to tweak specific points and immeadiately save them. It allows up to 30 different configurations - very neat piece of equipment.

Please use the AXPONA 2013 Discussion / Comments thread for questions and comments.

I have always wanted to hear Legacy speakers... maybe one day I will get to.

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

I live in Illinois and I am going to the show tomorrow ... I feel like a kid going to Disney
Busy day - you have a lot to see! :)

Fire alarm? Did some of those amps get so hot it caught one of the rooms on fire?
No, I think someone pulled an alarm in an attempt to walk out with some new speakers! ;) Seriously though, I think that someone was just playing a bit loud.....

I have always wanted to hear Legacy speakers... maybe one day I will get to.
Definitely a fantastic experience - I would love to hear what those Aeris speakers sound like in my room!

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Oh man, MBL 101E Mk.2 are my dream speakers, because I can only dream of ever spending around $70,000 on a pair of speakers.
MBL speakers are definitely in my top 5 most unique in appearance - not your standard rectangles to be sure!

·
Banned
22,577 Posts

Man... I would want to take all this stuff home with me. Nice... very nice!

Did I mention this is come great coverage of the show! I think it's better than anything I have ever seen before. :T :T :T

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Man... I would want to take all this stuff home with me. Nice... very nice!

Did I mention this is come great coverage of the show! I think it's better than anything I have ever seen before. :T :T :T
I know! I had to promise my wife I would not come home wanting super expensive speakers! ;)

And, thanks! :R

More to come tomorrow morning before I head back to the show!

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Man your Doing a great job reporting back everything .. Ill tell you what I wouldn't mind having those whisper speakers in my HT :D

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Man your Doing a great job reporting back everything .. Ill tell you what I wouldn't mind having those whisper speakers in my HT :D
Thanks! And, I know exactly what you mean - honestly, I have only heard one speaker at this point that I would not take home..... :bigsmile:

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
It looks as though you're having a great time Joe. As many have said what an excellent job of relaying your thoughts for us here at HTS.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,321 Posts

Joe;

Your coverage of this show is very impressive, and your write-ups are incredibly detailed. It's the next best thing to being their. I think Sonnie needs to make you the official show correspondent, sending you to every big show in the country. :D Of course, that means you need to bring back swag for all of us...

1 - 20 of 103 Posts