Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 40 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Joe;

Your coverage of this show is very impressive, and your write-ups are incredibly detailed. It's the next best thing to being their. I think Sonnie needs to make you the official show correspondent, sending you to every big show in the country. :D Of course, that means you need to bring back swag for all of us...
+1

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Re: AXPONA 2013 Show Report by Joe Alexander of HTS

Joe;

Your coverage of this show is very impressive, and your write-ups are incredibly detailed. It's the next best thing to being their. I think Sonnie needs to make you the official show correspondent, sending you to every big show in the country. :D Of course, that means you need to bring back swag for all of us...
Thank you guys - that is very kind of you to say.

I am back home now after another great day. Time to reconnect with the family (they waited for me to get home to start family game night :)) and I will continue posting thoughts / impressions a bit later.

I will admit - it would be hard to say no to going to these types of shows. It was a great experience and I got a chance to talk to several wonderful people.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Glad to hear you made it home safe we look forward to reading the rest but for now enjoy that time with the family :D

·
Registered
1,784 Posts

I do hope I will not be stepping on anyones toes here, just thought it would be ok to post some additional images of the eye and ear candy from the show. If I have poked my nose on Joe's territory, please feel free to delete as necessary. I wont make too many comments on what I heard as some things just were not so good actually and that should remain in my head. I will show what I feel to be the top 2 of the show in my opinion and then leave the rest as ...well the rest.

Already shown but far and away my favorite of the show, speakers and equipment. Awesome engineering and VW size amplification, I was mesmerized.

If anyone has questions, just ask and I will do my best to answer. I am sure Joe will add his thoughts on further gear.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts

There was really a tie for second place, both systems were brilliant but just slightly less so than the MBL system above. Check out the tubes in the amplifier below.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts

The Sony speakers in the first image were very very good. The rest of the photos depict some wonderful equipment with musical reproduction ranging from great to good. I cannot completely judge the equipment as I think some of the rooms just did not work. The big disappointment was the static Martin Logans, they would not play them for me.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I thought I was missing a few speakers from my house,please bring them back! Ok I'm kidding I only wish those are amazing. Nice work guys!

·
Banned
22,577 Posts

Thanks for the pics Jack... I suspect Joe may cover some of those as well and will have some comments on them.

Joe;

You are so right Jim... and I have already told him that we may end up hiring him to cover all the shows for us. This is the best show coverage I have ever seen.

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #30

Thanks for the pics Jack... I suspect Joe may cover some of those as well and will have some comments on them.

You are so right Jim... and I have already told him that we may end up hiring him to cover all the shows for us. This is the best show coverage I have ever seen.
Again, sorry I missed you Jack - would have been great to meet up. Next year! :)

And, stop it - you are making me blush. :bigsmile:

So, I am going to finish up Friday's visits first. After that, I am going to just go randomly and will make sure to post when I visited.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts

I do hope to meet you at some point Joe, it would have been nice this year but it was very crowded and actually somewhat complicated just to get from the parking garage to the hotel. No signs or directions found anywhere.
None the less, this was a good show, everyone was very nice, I dont think we met any negative people the whole day, even as they wore down as the show continued. Hope the next one is soon.

·
Registered
199 Posts

Fantastic coverage, Joe! I am sorry I wasn't able to make the trip, but my schedule has forever changed. :( Keep up the great coverage buddy, and thanks for doing so.

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #33

Fantastic coverage, Joe! I am sorry I wasn't able to make the trip, but my schedule has forever changed. :( Keep up the great coverage buddy, and thanks for doing so.
Great to hear from you Brandon! Yeah, I completely understand those schedule changes. ;) Hopefully, you can make it to Des Moines next month!

·
Registered
1,784 Posts

My last stop of the day was at an exhibitor's room whose products I was familiar with - Salk Sound. The system equipment was provided by Audio by Van Alstine. Here are a few photos:

Jim Salk brought three speakers - the Supercharged Songtowers (in white), the Soundscape 8s, and the Soundscape M7s:

I have to agree here, the Supercharged Songtowers were absolutely wonderful and seemed to do everything right, irrespective of their size. I was truly impressed.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts

The Von Schweikert VR-100XS Universe system was next - a few photos:

The front wall:

Totally agree, this system - room was brilliant. I could happily live with these forever and a day....maybe longer. If I ever come into money, I think some of the systems you are posting would find their way into my home indeed.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts

Next up was the Nightingale Concentus CTR 2 speakers. A couple photos:

I hope I do not ruffle any feathers here by saying I just could not warm up to these speakers. Yes they were fast and detailed, but maybe too detailed. Some of the sounds actually hurt my ears just a tad as they were almost brittle on the music being played during my visit. I quietly left after but a few minutes. Not my cup of music.

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #37

I hope I do not ruffle any feathers here by saying I just could not warm up to these speakers. Yes they were fast and detailed, but maybe too detailed. Some of the sounds actually hurt my ears just a tad as they were almost brittle on the music being played during my visit. I quietly left after but a few minutes. Not my cup of music.
Not at all Jack - we all know that when it comes to speakers, it really comes down to individual taste. I will admit that when they started playing the third opera-level female vocal in a row, it started to grate on me a bit. But, for me, that probably is more a function of my taste in music as opera has never really appealed to me personally. As those that are following along have probably surmised by now, I thoroughly enjoy detail - I want to hear everything! :) In some of the upcoming impressions, you will get a better sense of just how much.

How is that for a teaser post! :bigsmile:

·
Registered
4,127 Posts

This is absolutely awesome reporting Joe. I hope the Lone Star Audio Fest is a quarter as good as the Axpona show appeared to be. Great job! :clap:

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts

Wow Joe! great thread so far. I have no idea where you found the time to do all this. Its a realy amazing job, full of great information.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts

Yeah... we absolutely have a star here... a natural show reporter.

Hey... we got dibs on him too, so those of you reading, don't get no ideas. :nono:

21 - 40 of 103 Posts