Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

61 - 80 of 103 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Re: AXPONA 2013 Show Report by Joe Alexander of HTS

You know I do wonder why it seems that quite a few of these companies brought what seems to be their most expensive products to the show. I can only imagine that the majority of the people visiting are not in the market for these expensive systems, although I could be mistaken, since I was not there.

Don't get me wrong, I would like to see the really nice products and give it all a listen myself just to compare the 10's and 100's of thousand dollar systems with my wimpy setup at home... and to simply see the stuff... so much of it is so nice to merely look at in person. HOWEVER, why not bring with you a reasonably priced system that might be more affordable and that might be more in line with what the majority of folks will buy. Then again, I suppose those products might get overshadowed by the more expensive gear. I suppose too that if they sold just one of those higher end systems, it would be the equivalent of selling several of the lesser expensive systems.
To be honest, I think the folks who set the show up did a good job of assigning space. Most of the huge money setups were on the main level or the mezzanine. There were a few on the other 3 floors (the MBLs come to mind), but for the most part those 3 floors had components that would not break the bank so to speak.

Plus, from a purely marketing perspective, it seems to me you bring your most expensive system so that attendees remember it. Then, when they are in the market for equipment, they remember your name and go to your site. I am not sure how many sales actually happen at the shows - that is a good question for me to ask moving forward.

·
1,662 Posts

I wonder if the depth of the cabinet is what allows them to dig that deep. I am speaker design illiterate, but no kidding aside, there were several towers that were not doing as well in the low end as this guy was.
Hi Joe,

The cabinet depth only contributes to the overall enclosed volume, which does indeed contribute to how deep a (passive) speaker will play. The tradeoff is always sensitivity, size and deep bass, so a larger cabinet is required for the other two. Regarding "proportion", keep in mind you are seeing it (3D) in person, Jim in photos. Perhaps lost is the scale, that these are fairly large (for "bookshelfs") at 22" H x 9" W (x 15" D). If they were 12-14" H, then yes, they would be proportioned fairly "skinny".
They are also sealed, which is not the usual, so they roll off in the low end much slower than a vented design. In real rooms, with relatively stiff walls, like a hotel room, there tends to be significant gain at low frequencies, which coupled with the slow roll off at LF, tends to give them (sealed speakers) the perception of the deeper bass being present.
Styling is obviously as subjective as "sound" (and a heavy contributor!), but these adhere to a strict form follows function philosophy, hence the rather large horn. All of these elements (and more), are why they sound exactly the way they do, room to room, with nary a "treatment" in sight.

cheers,

AJ

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #63

Hi Joe,

The cabinet depth only contributes to the overall enclosed volume, which does indeed contribute to how deep a (passive) speaker will play. The tradeoff is always sensitivity, size and deep bass, so a larger cabinet is required for the other two. Regarding "proportion", keep in mind you are seeing it (3D) in person, Jim in photos. Perhaps lost is the scale, that these are fairly large (for "bookshelfs") at 22" H x 9" W (x 15" D). If they were 12-14" H, then yes, they would be proportioned fairly "skinny".
They are also sealed, which is not the usual, so they roll off in the low end much slower than a vented design. In real rooms, with relatively stiff walls, like a hotel room, there tends to be significant gain at low frequencies, which coupled with the slow roll off at LF, tends to give them (sealed speakers) the perception of the deeper bass being present.
Styling is obviously as subjective as "sound" (and a heavy contributor!), but these adhere to a strict form follows function philosophy, hence the rather large horn. All of these elements (and more), are why they sound exactly the way they do, room to room, with nary a "treatment" in sight.

cheers,

AJ
Thanks for the explanation AJ!

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #64

So, with that, I have posted all my thoughts and impressions through Saturday.

I will be starting on Sunday's impressions beginning tomorrow. However, I would like to start to collect everyone's thoughts on what you like in the process so far, what you think can be improved upon, and any suggestions on what you would like to see included in future show reviews. For those exhibitors following along, what types of information would you like to see provided through these reviews?

As this is my first experience doing this type of review, I want to make sure I am tailoring these to provide you all with the best possible information as well as improving my ability to perform them. Do not worry about offending me - I have thick skin. :) If you do not feel comfortable posting it, please feel free to PM me.

I will say - it may seem as if I liked everything! ;) Truth be told, it was a great event and there were just a handful of setups that I thought did not perform well. It was quite a collection of amazing gear.

·
Registered
531 Posts

Thanks for the very in-depth reviews and pictures Joe! I'm glad you were able to visit Mark Seaton's room, I bet his system sounds better than those costing 10x as much.

We need to get you a press pass and send you to more of these events :)

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #67

Thanks for the very in-depth reviews and pictures Joe! I'm glad you were able to visit Mark Seaton's room, I bet his system sounds better than those costing 10x as much.

We need to get you a press pass and send you to more of these events :)
It did as a matter of fact - definitely one of my best experiences of the weekend. And, I think I am going to go to LSAF - should be fun!

Oh those are beautiful :) Thats is definitely my kind of look for a speaker.
I know, right?! While they of course would not fly in a dedicated HT, they are probably one of the most WAF friendly speakers you will find for other places in the house.

And, do not forget guys - let me know your thoughts on improving this review process!

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts

And, do not forget guys - let me know your thoughts on improving this review process!
Just a thought for next time you do this that you have a dedicated thread where no one can post and have a separate discussion thread that way things dont get so spread out.

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #69

Just a thought for next time you do this that you have a dedicated tread where no one can post and have a separate discussion thread that way things dont get so spread out.
That is a great idea Tony - I will definitely use that one. Thanks!

·
Banned
22,577 Posts

Just a thought for next time you do this that you have a dedicated thread where no one can post and have a separate discussion thread that way things dont get so spread out.
That is a great idea Tony - I will definitely use that one. Thanks!
We can probably do this with this thread. I can remove all the comments to a discussion thread pretty easily. Add a link to the first post for the discussion thread. We can close this thread and Joe can continue to add his content. A couple of times on each page he can reference the discussion thread... as well as at the end of the thread when he is done.

EDIT: Done! This is now the discussion thread for the AXPONA 2013 Official Show Report by Joe Alexander of HTS

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
If you have been following along, I have completed the official show reports.

Some of my final thoughts:

- There are a lot of expensive speakers out there. Does spending more on speakers make them better? In my opinion, no. Some of the best systems I heard this past weekend cost significantly less.

- Chicago was a prime target for an audio show. The last I saw, the final count on attendees was over 4,000 which is a great turnout for its first go. From some of the early reports I have read, there will be more exhibitors next year.

- One of my first speaker auditions was the Klipsch RF62s. I found them to be too forward for me personally, and it turned into thinking all horns would be the same. This past weekend changed that utterly - there were several horn driven speakers, and I was struck by just how smooth and relaxing the listening experience was. Now, if I can only commission Luther to build me a pair! :)

- Audio people really come from all walks of life - most of the people were ordinary joes (pun intended) just like me.

- I never got tired going from one room to the next and listening to the next system. Matter of fact, I never stopped for lunch any of the three days - I was just so enjoying the experience I could not stop to eat. :) If you ever have the opportunity, do yourself a favor and attend a show - and do not be afraid of going in to listen to a system you know you will never afford.

I have had a couple great suggestions for reporting on shows moving forward which I tried to incorporate in the final posts. That said, let me know what you like about the show report, and what you would like to see in future show reports.

Any questions, comments, or thoughts, fire away!

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Someone should cover the cost of Joe's note pads, or he has a mind like a steel trap. Great read all the way thru.

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Marvelous job sir Joe! :clap:
Someone should cover the cost of Joe's note pads, or he has a mind like a steel trap. Great read all the way thru.
Thanks!

One suggestion that was made was to take a picture of the room number before going into the room - that way, I will not lose track of what was in each room. Like this one!

One of my tasks before the next show is to create a checklist for myself so that I make sure to get all the info I can. I am thinking about creating a short list of tracks -portions of them anyway - and save them to a USB stick so that I can listen to the same stuff across different systems.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,295 Posts
I really enjoyed reading your coverage of this show, it was a nice diversion from my normal daily routine. Very, very good job my friend. :T

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
A great read indeed and excellent job of reporting. Sonnie, you might want to lock Joe up with a long term contract so we don't lose him to another team.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Ha... we have planted a device on him that with the press of a button it can cause him great pain if he bails. :devil:

Besides... he loves us too much and we love him too. :T

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
I really enjoyed reading your coverage of this show, it was a nice diversion from my normal daily routine. Very, very good job my friend. :T
Thanks Jim! After reading the depth in your reviews, I figured I had better do a good job or else.... ;)

A great read indeed and excellent job of reporting. Sonnie, you might want to lock Joe up with a long term contract so we don't lose him to another team.
Thanks Jeff! Hmmmm..... I wonder if there is a free agency signing period. Something tells me I will just get the franchise tag! :rofl:

Ha... we have planted a device on him that with the press of a button it can cause him great pain if he bails. :devil:

Besides... he loves us too much and we love him too. :T
:unbelievable::rubeyes: OK, now that just creeped me out! Besides, I can't go - all the plants will die (virtual high five to the person that can place that quote from a movie!)

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
I thought it was "You can't go..."
Well, true, but that would just not have made any sense - you guys would have thought I had an imaginary friend and there are no good ends to that!

However, virtual high five since you obviously know! :clap:

61 - 80 of 103 Posts