Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Moderator Emeritus
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally tackled REW. I promised myself that I would do it right when I built my IB, so in preparation I tried it out on my 10"sub. I followed the REW Guide and had no real problems. Thanks, John!

First, a note on connections. My local RS didn't have the adapter shown in the guide, RS part 274-883.

What I did find was this part which connects mono phono to both channels of a 1/8" stereo jack. It worked and it's a little more streamlined. RS part # 274-0738

I connected straight to the BFD, next time I'll go through my receiver's bass management.
I didn't have the RS meter calibration file loaded, I had to apply that later to my results to check the real response.
I ran sweeps at four seats, averaged them, and implemented two filters.
(I took out filters 5 and 7 as they were small and insignificant.)
I know this isn't the standard zoom, but its the only screenshot I took.

Here are the four responses after the filters were in place.

Here is the averaged response with the meter correction values applied.

I feel well prepared to do this again when my IB is finished.

·
Moderator Emeritus
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Good times.

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
What I did find was this part which connects mono phono to both channels of a 1/8" stereo jack. It worked and it's a little more streamlined. RS part # 274-0738
I looked this part up (actually I believe it's 274-0378) and it doesn't give much information of what's inside.

At its worst, inside the adapter they would actually be shorting the stereo signal together, which would likely be fine for the soundcards input, but a really bad idea for the soundcards output. You're not allowed to short outputs together.
If they provided a couple small resistors as a makeshift mixer, then you will be suffering a 6dB loss in level on the output and an indeterminate loss on the input.

It would probably be a good idea getting the correct stereo to stereo adapter like this one... the one you showed is a bit heavy and hard to fit to many soundcards.

brucek

·
Moderator Emeritus
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, Jonathan is a great helper. Lydia adores him.
My wife Amy was out with her friends, and I took the opportunity to take over the living room.
BTW, my boys are pretty excited about the IB too!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts