1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the response. I asked about the B52 driver because a local pawn shop has two I could get real cheap and have been considering building multiple subs for my room.

I have a complete woodshop and make my own furniture and would like to further improve the low end sound quality in my room. DIY subs are something I have never done and I have just begun researching that option.

My design goals may seam strange and may not even be possible. I want better low end sound at LOW volume. Yes I know that seams crazy but it’s what I am looking for. I have about 900 sq ft finished walkout basement with plenty of DIY treatments. 3 24 inch wide floor to ceiling superchunks, 6 2 ft x 4ft x2inch 703 panels and 16 2ftx4ftx4 inch Rockwool on the walls. I have finally tamed the room and the improvement with the treatments in the last two months is almost unbelievable, I am now a firm believer and have verified the improvements with REW

Back to what I am looking for, at 80 decibels and up the bass sounds great. However I usually listen to 55 to 65. If I increase the volume on the subs I currently have (see equipment list) it sounds overpowering and out of balance at low volume and not tight and crisp like at higher volume. I think the small sealed subs need more power than they get a low volume. In my uninformed opinion I figure I need to move more air at lower volume so I am considering building 2 or possibly 4 large diameter subs to accomplish this.

If what I am looking for is possible I would be willing to spend around $1500 to $2000 for drivers, amps and some sort of DSP to control 4 subs. Although I can build anything out of wood I would probably hire someone to do the design work. I have read at least one person here at the SHACK will do that for a reasonable price and is well spoken of by his customers.

As far as the design I could accommodate at least 2 cabinets in the 3ft high, 5ft long and 2 ft wide range, a coffee table design, possibly a near field option may provide what I am looking for or I really like the looks of the sono tubes and picture 4 oak octagon columns any where from 4 to 7 ft high about 2 ft diameter in each corner.

My expectations are high, my options are wide, my budget is in my opinion reasonable but my knowledge is lacking, but I think I am smart enough to know when to ask for help. For the record the 3 or 4 hours a month when I get the itch 100 + decibels is a must.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Thank you for the response. I asked about the B52 driver because a local pawn shop has two I could get real cheap and have been considering building multiple subs for my room.

I have a complete woodshop and make my own furniture and would like to further improve the low end sound quality in my room. DIY subs are something I have never done and I have just begun researching that option.

My design goals may seam strange and may not even be possible. I want better low end sound at LOW volume. Yes I know that seams crazy but it’s what I am looking for. I have about 900 sq ft finished walkout basement with plenty of DIY treatments. 3 24 inch wide floor to ceiling superchunks, 6 2 ft x 4ft x2inch 703 panels and 16 2ftx4ftx4 inch Rockwool on the walls. I have finally tamed the room and the improvement with the treatments in the last two months is almost unbelievable, I am now a firm believer and have verified the improvements with REW

Back to what I am looking for, at 80 decibels and up the bass sounds great. However I usually listen to 55 to 65. If I increase the volume on the subs I currently have (see equipment list) it sounds overpowering and out of balance at low volume and not tight and crisp like at higher volume. I think the small sealed subs need more power than they get a low volume. In my uninformed opinion I figure I need to move more air at lower volume so I am considering building 2 or possibly 4 large diameter subs to accomplish this.

If what I am looking for is possible I would be willing to spend around $1500 to $2000 for drivers, amps and some sort of DSP to control 4 subs. Although I can build anything out of wood I would probably hire someone to do the design work. I have read at least one person here at the SHACK will do that for a reasonable price and is well spoken of by his customers.

As far as the design I could accommodate at least 2 cabinets in the 3ft high, 5ft long and 2 ft wide range, a coffee table design, possibly a near field option may provide what I am looking for or I really like the looks of the sono tubes and picture 4 oak octagon columns any where from 4 to 7 ft high about 2 ft diameter in each corner.

My expectations are high, my options are wide, my budget is in my opinion reasonable but my knowledge is lacking, but I think I am smart enough to know when to ask for help. For the record the 3 or 4 hours a month when I get the itch 100 + decibels is a must.
Great idea, but at what frequencies do you want to be able to play the subs/LFE? Remember equal loudness curve?

More dB as you get lower in frequency in order to be relatively the same.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts