Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am bringing back my idea I had from around Christmas time. 2-way design with a TangBand W5-704, and a Dayton "silky."

There's only 2 components on the woofer, and 3 on the tweeter, but that might all change once I get it all put together and figure out that it measures horribly.

That's +/- 2 db modeled. I doubt it'll turn out that good though. The box will be about ~.6 cu.ft. sealed.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I tweaked the design almost completely and am going to use a in-line variable BSC-type circuit. The response is similar, but less efficient than that. I've got most of the wood cut, but am going to go over it all again before I assemble. It might be a couple weeks because of school, etc.

The cabinet is going to be 14" - 8.5" - 10" (W*H*D), so a horizontal rectangle; there's less BSC used that way and I've always wanted "odd" speakers. I'm highly optimistic about this as I've spent a lot of time trying to figure out this whole shebang out.

Good thing is this doubles as a electrical physics project for my second semester physics class. =)

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I tweaked the design almost completely and am going to use a in-line variable BSC-type circuit. The response is similar, but less efficient than that. I've got most of the wood cut, but am going to go over it all again before I assemble. It might be a couple weeks because of school, etc.

The cabinet is going to be 14" - 8.5" - 10" (W*H*D), so a horizontal rectangle; there's less BSC used that way and I've always wanted "odd" speakers. I'm highly optimistic about this as I've spent a lot of time trying to figure out this whole shebang out.

Good thing is this doubles as a electrical physics project for my second semester physics class. =)
By the way, the new design has a 2nd order electrical Butterworth @ 3100 (low pass), and a 3rd order electrical @ 3500 (high pass.) Both are third order acoustic. It's not a very "traditional" cross over by any means, but it's what needs to be.

After this experience, I don't see how people can just throw a random symmetrical crossover in a system somewhere in between both the driver and tweeter can play, it just doesn't seem like a good idea to me. I see a lot of crossover calculators online, and I wonder how many people are just using them?.. Oh well.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well they're built, assembled and sound great (to me.) I've primed the boxes, but need to go over them with filler, sand paper, and more primer before I can get them "finished." I know this has been a slow process but I'll have pictures sometime soon.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Great going mike.
Id be interested in your impressions of the midrange quality since I have been considering using this woofer as a midrange driver in a three way system. Can you be more specific about the Dayton silk dome tweeter you are using. If the finished product sounds good, as i'm sure it will, i might copy the design!:T

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wouldn't hesitate to use these woofers as a mid range, and they play very high, as to eliminate the need for a expensive tweeter to match with it. Thank the phasing dusk cap for that.. I'm not sure it's actually classified as a phase plug, but it's close.

As for the tweeter, I'm using the Dayton DC28F-8 “Silky”, the unshielded one. I'd give it 4 stars, but could be better.

Depending on the rest of your drivers in that 3 way, and whether it's budget orientated, I would look at using the W5-1685 5 in. underhung driver from TB, although it's not in stock at PE yet. That, and the 6.5 in. driver look like mean business and I would LOVE to hear them. The w5-704 will do a great job as a midrange, but if you had high standards, I'd look other places. They suit me great though, for my room. =)

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well they do sound very good, but a friend of mine wants to buy them, and my amp from me so I've already got another design in the works using the Dayton RS150-4, and the Vifa DX25. A nice "high end" (for me) two way series design.
I've got the crossover designed, but you know how that goes - when it's made, it isn't always finished. I'll be ordering the new stuff here in a couple weeks after I get back from vacation, and after my birthday (the big one eight.)

My review of my current TB design is this:

_____

Smooth, and rich. I didn't but a BSC in there merely because I was trying out an line level (active?) BSC with cut too much voltage out, but it doesn't really matter because these speakers are right in front of a wall (two inches at most) so they aren't lacking the bass I thought they would. Solid down to 50-60Hz if you don't listen at ridiculous levels. I was playing CoD4 as loud as I could possibly stand, and they stood up to the task very well, but obviously they sound much better setup with a nice sub.

They sound much better than my Pioneer S-X4g vintage monitors I was using before. The voicing is very smooth, but not as laid back as my dad's vintage Celestion SL6-s's. Overall I'm very happy with them, if you listen in a small-medium room, or want to use them for surrounds, I'd certainly approve. But if you were going to have away from a wall, or hanging somewhere a BSC should probably be used.

_____

I will definitely include pictures before I sell these, and build pictures of the new speakers as by them I hope to have a camera. =D I don't have a camera now, and my brother took his with him when he moved out. =(

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A couple cellphone pictures here. I need a new phone too. =( Maybe that'll be the birthday present. =D

Those are both (obviously) before they were finished - the second is a test run with primer on 'em.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts