Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Best of luck with that. Just try to stay positive and hope there wrong. I have an aunt with cancer they opened her up and closed her up immediately,they thought it spread,and was told to go home and die. They didn't use those exact words. Then after further tests it wasn't cancer so they went back in got the cancer and growths of whatever and she's at home getting better everyday:).

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Thanks Brandon. I am staying positive because they won't know for sure until I get the new pics. So glad to hear about your aunt and that she is getting better. :clap:

·
HTS Senior Moderator
5,423 Posts
Sorry to hear that, hope things work out well for you. I know how it is, I have arthritis in my back, well pretty much everywhere, and it has caused me some issues. Had a bad bout that started about 4 weeks ago and I'm just now starting to feel a bit better. When the arthritis acts up, or basically when I overdo it, L3, L4 and L5 tend to pinch the nerves. Also have a herniated disc. Luckily none of the docs have mentioned paralysis but they are concerned about permanent nerve damage.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Hi Mark, I am glad to hear you are feeling better. I have athritis in my back also and in the same area as you, L4,L5 area. I have to get more MRI's so hopefully the doctor is wrong but we will see. I appreciate your support and everyone's support actually. You guy's are awsome.....:T

·
Registered
356 Posts
Hope all these situations have a positive outcome. I'm am MRI tech, so I see a lot of this. I think physical therapy, good chiropractic adjustment, improved posture, avoiding stress (lots of people clench), and weight management can go a long way toward improving spinal issues.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Hope all these situations have a positive outcome. I'm am MRI tech, so I see a lot of this. I think physical therapy, good chiropractic adjustment, improved posture, avoiding stress (lots of people clench), and weight management can go a long way toward improving spinal issues.
Thanks. I did the therapy and had no real good result but I agree with you in alot of situations it works well. My doctor has told me that a chiropractor wouldn't help and it doesn't help that my insurance doesn't cover that. Now the weight management I am working on. I am having more MRI's as I have mentioned and will go from there.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Well I got the MRI of my neck yesterday and I saw the neurosurgeon today. The news isn't too good. He said I have cervical myelopathy and will have to have a disc removed from my neck and then a titanium plate installed in order to stabilize the part of my neck that I guess is what is causing the narrowing of my spinal cord. They go in through the front of your throught to do the operation because it is easier to get at the part of my spine that way. I contacted another surgeon for a second opinion and he is going to look at the MRI and call me at the beginning of next week with his opinion. If he agrees with the surgeon I saw today then I will have to have the surgery as soon as possible. I am kind of bummed out because I guess I just was hopeing for better news. My wife is upset a little but I guess that is to be expected. He said it would be about 1.5 to 2 months of recovery time and if everything goes well then we can talk about surgery for my lower back. :help: I picked a great week to quit drinking. :D:D I'll let you guy's know how it goes. :wave:

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Wow sad to hear that, try to stay positive it's all you can really do. Maybe a drink or two would be okay. My aunt with lung cancer, in recovery, still smokes pretty crazy if you ask me. Good luck with the second opinion.

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
Well I got the MRI of my neck yesterday and I saw the neurosurgeon today. The news isn't too good. He said I have cervical myelopathy and will have to have a disc removed from my neck and then a titanium plate installed in order to stabilize the part of my neck that I guess is what is causing the narrowing of my spinal cord. They go in through the front of your throught to do the operation because it is easier to get at the part of my spine that way. I contacted another surgeon for a second opinion and he is going to look at the MRI and call me at the beginning of next week with his opinion. If he agrees with the surgeon I saw today then I will have to have the surgery as soon as possible. I am kind of bummed out because I guess I just was hopeing for better news. My wife is upset a little but I guess that is to be expected. He said it would be about 1.5 to 2 months of recovery time and if everything goes well then we can talk about surgery for my lower back. :help: I picked a great week to quit drinking. :D:D I'll let you guy's know how it goes. :wave:
I have had that surgery 3 times over about 10 years for degenerative disc disease. One surgery was to fix a screw up that another surgeon did. This surgery is by far "better" than lumbar surgery in relation to recovery time. In all cases I only spent one night in the hospital. A friend went home the same day.

You likely will have some swelling, so make sure you have cold packs. The gel packs work well, but I have read that some folks use a bag of frozen peas wrapped in a towel.

Relief can be immediate or delayed - it depends on how long you have had the symptoms. Don't be fooled by the immediate relief the next day or two - that is from the anesthesia.

I would question the 1.5 to 2 months recovery time. I was back at my desk job within 3 weeks. But, follow the surgeon's orders.

Ask if he plans to put a neck brace on. You DO NOT want that. Find another surgeon. I had a brace on for 6 weeks - awful experience and it contributed to even more arthritis buildup due to being locked into place. Surgeon made no mention of a brace pre-op but when I woke up after the surgery there it was. Ask this question no matter what.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Wow sad to hear that, try to stay positive it's all you can really do. Maybe a drink or two would be okay. My aunt with lung cancer, in recovery, still smokes pretty crazy if you ask me. Good luck with the second opinion.
Thanks B, I appreciate the support. Glad to hear your aunt is doing better. Maybe you can give her a palm to the forehead like in those V-8 commercials when you see her smoking. :D

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I have had that surgery 3 times over about 10 years for degenerative disc disease. One surgery was to fix a screw up that another surgeon did. This surgery is by far "better" than lumbar surgery in relation to recovery time. In all cases I only spent one night in the hospital. A friend went home the same day.

You likely will have some swelling, so make sure you have cold packs. The gel packs work well, but I have read that some folks use a bag of frozen peas wrapped in a towel.

Relief can be immediate or delayed - it depends on how long you have had the symptoms. Don't be fooled by the immediate relief the next day or two - that is from the anesthesia.

I would question the 1.5 to 2 months recovery time. I was back at my desk job within 3 weeks. But, follow the surgeon's orders.

Ask if he plans to put a neck brace on. You DO NOT want that. Find another surgeon. I had a brace on for 6 weeks - awful experience and it contributed to even more arthritis buildup due to being locked into place. Surgeon made no mention of a brace pre-op but when I woke up after the surgery there it was. Ask this question no matter what.
Thanks for the advice, I will definitely ask about the brace. When I get the second opinion I will see what they say about recovery time. I hope your right, the less time the better. How are you doing now after 3 surgery's?
Thanks for the support it is appreciated. :wave:

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
First let me say I am very sorry you had to go through this, or have to go through this. But having just gone through this with my wife, it is a good and safe procedure that will relieve your pain and fix the damaged disc.
Yes surgery is needed and yes the pain will likely go away within days, literally. They go in, remove the damaged disc and place some material between the vertebrae, add some metallic bracing and screw same in place. Operation time maybe 2 hours. Go home the next day.
A brace is a must, we have check this out over and over again, but it can be a soft brace or the harder one. Do not let the hospital give it to you as they will charge upwards of $500 for a brace you can buy brand new on Amazon for $90. In addition, some surgeons also want you to wear a bone electrical regeneration device that speeds up the regeneration of your natural bone growth in the damaged area. I found good and bad, but several surgeons I spoke to says it does work, trouble is they run upwards of $5000.

So recovery time will vary but the brace is worn for a month and then you are to work rotation of the neck slowly etc. The regeneration device can go from say 6 weeks to 6 months and they will watch it. My wife could barely move before the surgery, now one month later, her pain is almost gone, she moves well but a bit stiffly and all appears to be going forward well. The surgical pains were minor and she was off the pain meds rather quickly. This is essentially the same surgery they have been doing for 50 odd years only they do it much more precisely and with a very very good safety and recovery record.

Good Luck

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
Thanks for the advice, I will definitely ask about the brace. When I get the second opinion I will see what they say about recovery time. I hope your right, the less time the better. How are you doing now after 3 surgery's?
Thanks for the support it is appreciated. :wave:
The latest info from the head of Neurosurgery at University of Alabama, Birmingham hospital is that bone spurs are growing inside the fused areas - and that is happening in lumbar area as well. As a result, pain is back and nothing can be done operatively. That is not the usual outcome, however. I have friends who have complete relief after a cervical fusion. Neurosurgeons have told me that my body is prone to growing spurs, or osteophytes, so that is the reason for the chronic pain.

Remember that a fusion transfers the mechanical forces to the discs above and below the fused area. As a result, they are more prone to failure. That is what happened to me, both cervical and lumbar. The adjacent discs failed causing the need for further surgery.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
First let me say I am very sorry you had to go through this, or have to go through this. But having just gone through this with my wife, it is a good and safe procedure that will relieve your pain and fix the damaged disc.
Yes surgery is needed and yes the pain will likely go away within days, literally. They go in, remove the damaged disc and place some material between the vertebrae, add some metallic bracing and screw same in place. Operation time maybe 2 hours. Go home the next day.
A brace is a must, we have check this out over and over again, but it can be a soft brace or the harder one. Do not let the hospital give it to you as they will charge upwards of $500 for a brace you can buy brand new on Amazon for $90. In addition, some surgeons also want you to wear a bone electrical regeneration device that speeds up the regeneration of your natural bone growth in the damaged area. I found good and bad, but several surgeons I spoke to says it does work, trouble is they run upwards of $5000.

So recovery time will vary but the brace is worn for a month and then you are to work rotation of the neck slowly etc. The regeneration device can go from say 6 weeks to 6 months and they will watch it. My wife could barely move before the surgery, now one month later, her pain is almost gone, she moves well but a bit stiffly and all appears to be going forward well. The surgical pains were minor and she was off the pain meds rather quickly. This is essentially the same surgery they have been doing for 50 odd years only they do it much more precisely and with a very very good safety and recovery record.

Good Luck

Thank you Jack that helps to hear that your wife is doing well. Also thanks for the advice about the brace, I haven't scheduled surgery yet because I am still waiting on a second opinion but I will definitely ask the surgeon about it. I am not working now so if the recovery time is a little longer it is OK as long as it works out in the long run. Again thanks for the support, God Bless and tell your wife I am happy for her. :wave:

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
The latest info from the head of Neurosurgery at University of Alabama, Birmingham hospital is that bone spurs are growing inside the fused areas - and that is happening in lumbar area as well. As a result, pain is back and nothing can be done operatively. That is not the usual outcome, however. I have friends who have complete relief after a cervical fusion. Neurosurgeons have told me that my body is prone to growing spurs, or osteophytes, so that is the reason for the chronic pain.

Remember that a fusion transfers the mechanical forces to the discs above and below the fused area. As a result, they are more prone to failure. That is what happened to me, both cervical and lumbar. The adjacent discs failed causing the need for further surgery.
Wow, That is good to know about the bone spurs. I mentioned before my dad is 94, God bless him, and he is against surgery unless there is no other choice and then he told me to hold off as long as possible for reasons like you mentioned. That was before what I found out yesterday but after haveing the neck surgery I might just put up with the lower back until I can not deal with it anymore. Thanks again. :T

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Everyone, I just want to say how much I really appreciate all of you giving me your support, prayers, and well wishes along with the advice that you have shared with me. It helps tremendously to be able to share my feelings and knowing that you are so willing to give me support is truly helpfull. Also I want to say this is another reason that the Home Theater Shack is second to none when it come to feeling like we belong not just to a forum but to a community of people who really care, God Bless you all....:T

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Hey, we are a pretty good group of guys....that's why I'm part of this forum....we do care about each other. We are a family of sorts. So thanks, but I know you would be there if I was in need, as everybody would be.

You know, I'm a PACU RN & this week I recovered a C4-5 disck replacement. I was looking at the X-rays, and sure enough, there was an articulating prosthesis inserted into this ladies neck! Seems like this is better than fusion...might be worth asking is this is an option. Either way my prayers are with you.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Hey, we are a pretty good group of guys....that's why I'm part of this forum....we do care about each other. We are a family of sorts. So thanks, but I know you would be there if I was in need, as everybody would be.

You know, I'm a PACU RN & this week I recovered a C4-5 disck replacement. I was looking at the X-rays, and sure enough, there was an articulating prosthesis inserted into this ladies neck! Seems like this is better than fusion...might be worth asking is this is an option. Either way my prayres are with you.
I will definitely ask about that and thank you very much....:wave:

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
A friend of mine at work had a disk replaced in his neck and he is doing well.
He framed the x-rays and proudly displays his "Frankenstein improvements" in his office.
Wishing you the best possible outcome with this.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
A friend of mine at work had a disk replaced in his neck and he is doing well.
He framed the x-rays and proudly displays his "Frankenstein improvements" in his office.
Wishing you the best possible outcome with this.
Allot of insurance plans don't cover replacement just removal, At least my insurance doesn't. I guess they still label it as experimental or something like that. My surgeon did not even mention that as a possibility. Thank you for the well wishes, I appreciate it. :wave:

41 - 60 of 80 Posts