Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently making a frame for my screen which only took me a year to get to. I am wanting to do a back light behind the screen but am not sure what type or color of rope lighting would look the best. I was thinking white but no sure LED or regular. Any ideas???

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
White is what I used. And if I could have found an LED version at the time I would have bought it. Here's what white looks like with a purple/plum wall behind the screen.

Same image back lighting off:

mech

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
Also, make sure you mount the rope light close to the edge of the frame, within an inch or two. I originally had mine mounted in about a foot and it did not give the desired effect I was looking for.

mech

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That looks great exactly the effect I am after. The only thing I worry about LED is that it will be to bright and not give off that warm light rather it would be a cold white. I will post some pictures when I get it up. What did you use to secure the rope lighting to stay behind the trim. I just got 1X4's and 1X2's and nailed the 1X2's to the 1X4's and am left with a 2in deep and 3/4in wide gap. Also I am wondering how I am going to mount the frame after I get it rapped, so the nails dont show. Sorry for floating off topic a little.

Mike

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
Put the outlet that you're going to use on a dimmer. If that's not possible put a dimmer in between the outlet and the rope light - one of those in-line dimmers. That way you can adjust it.

The rope light came with clips and they worked fine for mounting.

As for the mounting, unless i misunderstood your question, use a french cleat. You can make one easy enough with a 2X4 or a 1X4 and a circular/table saw. Or you can buy one. I've seen them at Home Depot and Lowes by the picture hanging hardware. You'll want a heavy duty one. You can get them online as well.

mech

1 - 6 of 6 Posts