Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i got myself a bit of rope light to backlight my projection screen for some ambient effect for general TV viewing etc. However, it feels a bit to dominating. Does anyone know if it is a good idea to put a dimmer switch on standard LED rope lights or am I going to have issues with that?

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Are the LED lights DC? If so, then you need a dimmer designed to work with the voltage converter. I am not sure about the 120AC LED lights. :huh: Maybe someone will know.

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Could you perhaps mount the rope light deeper from the edge of the screen so it would appear dimmer to the viewer? Dimming LED's can be problematic.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
I've been dimming my LED rope lights and other LED spot light fixtures and so far have had no issues using the Lutron remote dimmer. The spot light LED fixtures use a 120v to 12v DC wall block and seems to have no adverse effect on it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
These are the specs on the current rope lights. 120 volts, 60 hz, .3 AMP. 3 watts per foot. I am using 36 feet, so that means the whole chain should be 108 watts.

I am unable to mount the lights any deeper behind the screen due to the screen setup. Which Lutron Dimmer are you using that you say works fine? I am not set on these particular lights by any means. I could pick up some others if they may work better for this application. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
These are the specs on the current rope lights. 120 volts, 60 hz, .3 AMP. 3 watts per foot. I am using 36 feet, so that means the whole chain should be 108 watts.

I am unable to mount the lights any deeper behind the screen due to the screen setup. Which Lutron Dimmer are you using that you say works fine? I am not set on these particular lights by any means. I could pick up some others if they may work better for this application. Any suggestions?
I'm using the 600watt remote dimmer from Lutron.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So i picked up one of these:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100001525

And it works just great on the rope lights... the specifications say only for halogen or incandescent bulbs. however I just realized the no where on my rope lights does it actually say they are LED. The wires for the rope say "18AWGGX2c 300V 105 C VW-1 LED ELECTRONIC", and that somehow must have got in my mind and made me thing they were LED rope lights. However, I am led to believe mine are incandescent since they use 3 watts per foot while LED use less than 1 watt per foot.... and they would probably say on the packaging if they really were LED. And since all seems to be working fine, should be all good..... hahah... seems I was thinking a bit to hard about this one.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One other quick question.... are incandescent rope light only available in warm white???? Mine are warm white and are a bit yellow... when i search for COOL WHITE rope light all It is LED rope lights.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Yes, Incandescent is by nature warm white. LED are the only way other then florescent to get cool or natural white.

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Also, the dimmer the lights go the warmer (redder) they will get.

It should be possible to paint the rope lights with a transparent blue paint (such as Testor's Transparent Blue which will cool them down a bit. The more coats the cooler the light will be (and the less they will need to be dimmed).

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Really? That's pretty interesting... and its safe to use on a rope light?

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Really? That's pretty interesting... and its safe to use on a rope light?
I just checked with that ad and according to it, no, it isn't "suitable" to use on vinyl.

"Can be used for:
models, ceramic, plastics, leather, stone, metal, styrofoam,
crafts, wax, glass, paper, figures, fabric, wood and touching
up purposes.
Not suitable for polyethylene or vinyl."

Why this would be is unknown, but since it is "suitable" for plastic, and even Styrofoam (which almost every solvent melts) I don't think it would be destructive to the vinyl, but perhaps it doesn't want to stick to it (same for the polyethylene). The safe thing would be to try some on vinyl and see what happens.:nerd: The same type of vinyl tubing used for rope lights can be found at most hardware stores and home centers. It is pretty thick stuff.

The next time I get to a hobby store I'll try to get some of this paint.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Standard incandescent rope lights will get quite warm if left on at full for several hrs and should be given room to breath but as long as one side is open it should be fine. You dont have to paint the entire rope You could even use a coloured "gel" like they use for stage lighting.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hmm... maybe just wrap the rope with gels? That might be kinda of pricey though.

Anyways heres a picture of the result. This is with the lights on full blast which works great for tv viewing or video games, its very nice to be able to dim it down for movies though. It's grown on my quite well actually. Really makes it feel like a nice custom install.

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Hmm... maybe just wrap the rope with gels? That might be kinda of pricey though.
You might try wrapping some of the colored transparent "gift wrapping" cellophane sold by craft stores like Michael's or A. C. Moore around the rope. I didn't say anything about it before since it strikes me as rather "inelegant", but hey, whatever works. :T

1 - 17 of 17 Posts