Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just wondering whether you should balance the power of the amps in HT system. For example if I wanted to power a 7 channel system with an Emotiva XPA-2 for the fronts and a XPA-5 for all the others. How well would this work given the XPA-2 is 250w and the XPA-5 is 200w per channel.

Does this cause problems?

Mark

·
Elite Shackster , HTS Moderator Emeritus
2,216 Posts
Assuming constant sonic timbre across the amps (which is a good assumption with the same brand like that), the real question is headroom. Depending on the level you want to drive the speakers, the needs to keep up. If you can drive all the speakers in the room with only the 200W amp, then you are fine mixing and matching. If you really need 225W, then the lower wattage amp will sag and compress the dynamic range. Or worse, it will clip and possibly damage the speakers.

At those wattages, you are talking VERY loud, though, so I doubt it will be a problem. You should be fine. If you were wondering if you could get away with a 60W amp and a 250W amp, then the story may be different.

People are often surprised how little power they actually use from their amps. Cranking my system (Outlaw amp, Magnepan speakers) only draws about 300W peak, and that includes the subwoofer amp, preamp, etc. Well below the Outlaw's 400W/[email protected] rating.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
It would work fine. Not to mention your Front Left/Front Right's are often more difficult to drive which can often balance things out naturally. Regardless, just use a SPL Meter and make sure all of your channels match when using a test tone.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Banned
601 Posts
Your Pre/Pro or Receiver is taking care of that with an Automatic Room EQ calibration.
Or you can do it manually by using a Radio Shack analog volume meter, and adjusting each channel,
from your Pre/Pro or Receiver, so they are at the same volume level from your main listening chair.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts