Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Balancing gain in: Receiver, Reckhorn b-1 and 2 x ep2500

EDIT I am switching to an ep2500 and an ep4000 both in bridged 4ohm and needing to put out about 1100w each for my subs.

Since the gain on these is only 1.23v will the reckhorn b-1 be enough?
What does the reckhorn mean when it says it has 10v output, that sounds way too high...?
How much does splitting the receivers test tone weaken the signal? I hear the onkyo 805 has a reasonably strong signal.

I figured I would like to keep the tone from the onkyo 805 low, somewhere int he negative area say -2, -3
Then set the gain on the amp to around 12 and finally play with the master volume on the reckhorn till I get the desired volume.
Should there be some sort of different relationship between the gains?

Am I worrying over nothing?

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
its all about trial and error, its always best to keep the gain structure at 12 o'clock or as close to 0 as possible. Start with that on all three and add gain to the last device first and so on as every time you increase the level you introduce a slight bit of possible noise.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is the real question I am getting at:

I need to get the output level on the reckhorn b-1 to match the 1.5v input of the amp.

Does anyone know how the master gain on the reckhorn works in comparison to the 1.0 signal standard in home AVR's aka what does the gain need to be at to reach 1.5v output.

Once I know that I can lock that in stone and know I am getting full amp power.

NOTE: I may be WAY off in my logic but this seems right imo

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
If memory serves me the 1.0 voltage is at the +12 or the highest it gets on receivers "0" is actually lower than 1 volt. You really need to get a transformer to up the voltage like the Samson S-convert

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So my new reckhorn is useless and I have no subsonic filter... I am screwed

I am totally out of money for this

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
No dont give up yet, Have you even tried it? Does the amp or the reckhorn have 1/4" inputs? you can possible use TS adapters that will force the inputs to accept an unballanced signal.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
The Samson S-convert is not a bank breaker either you can get them for under $50

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What about a subsonic filter? Can I daisey chain the reckhorn with the samson s-converter.

I need to read more about the s-converter and see how much it can boost a signal

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
What about a subsonic filter? Can I daisey chain the reckhorn with the samson s-converter.
Yes no problem just put it after or before the S convert it depends on the filters cnnnectors if they are rca then before if they are XLR or TRS then after it.

I need to read more about the s-converter and see how much it can boost a signal
it will boost it to 1.4 volts. Plenty for any pro amp.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok so after makes sense...

Thank you I am having a high stress day and have a quick trigger...

So then how does this sound:

My set up will be

AVR - AS-eq1 - Rechkorn b-1, s-converter, qsc amp - Dual subs?

How about setting like this:

Goal is to have avr -5 to be reference. I like to run 2-3dB hot so avr will be -2 or -3

Reckhorn at 12 noon to not introduce any aditional variables if possible

THEN: Use amp to actually adjust gain so I get the AVR settings I am looking for

Are those ideas better?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If memory serves me the 1.0 voltage is at the +12 or the highest it gets on receivers "0" is actually lower than 1 volt. You really need to get a transformer to up the voltage like the Samson S-convert
So with this in mind does it make more sense to once again look at the reckhorn again?

Meaning...

If I use -2 on the avr then I am actually 14dB down and from looking at the sconvereter, the 1.0 max =-10dB so the signal actually given out at my qouted numbers is -24dB and I need the reckhorn to boost from -24dB to -10dB???

What does this mean on the reckhorn? I guess the question is at max volume how many dB does it add?

Also if the signal coming out of the avr is so low and then goes through the reckhorn and still comes out low, why did it constantly give a clip warning my old ep2500 (like on every bass note)? Was that likely from a mistake in wiring?

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
AVR - AS-eq1 - Rechkorn b-1, s-converter, qsc amp - Dual subs?

How about setting like this:

Goal is to have avr -5 to be reference. I like to run 2-3dB hot so avr will be -2 or -3

Reckhorn at 12 noon to not introduce any aditional variables if possible

THEN: Use amp to actually adjust gain so I get the AVR settings I am looking for

Are those ideas better?
Yes that should work just fine.

So with this in mind does it make more sense to once again look at the reckhorn again?

Meaning...

If I use -2 on the avr then I am actually 14dB down and from looking at the sconvereter, the 1.0 max =-10dB so the signal actually given out at my qouted numbers is -24dB and I need the reckhorn to boost from -24dB to -10dB???

What does this mean on the reckhorn? I guess the question is at max volume how many dB does it add?
Im not really good at figuring out these sorts of things so hopefully someone can chime in on this.
Also if the signal coming out of the avr is so low and then goes through the reckhorn and still comes out low, why did it constantly give a clip warning my old ep2500 (like on every bass note)? Was that likely from a mistake in wiring?
seems to be odd I could only guess but maybe you had the wires reversed or something thats a tough one given I have no idea how you had the system hooked up before. Are you saying the amps output cliped? Maybe you had the subs wired up wrong or the impedance was wrong?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It may not have clipped but the clip warning was going off.

I just realized my logic may be off:

Just because the s-converter can bring a -10dB signal up to 4dB does not mean that an AVR is putting out -10dB at max extension...

Wow such a logical jump I made, messed up

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
I think newer receivers are trying to give more flexibility in the output levels My Onkyo 805 seems to be able to output a very hot signal so hot that if I have it above +6 (normally have it at -2) it clips the input of my subs amp during really dynamic movies like the Hulk. I wonder if that is what was happening to you?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Do you know if the sconverter is a set ratio of upconversion or relative i.e. does it add 14dB no matter what or does it just make the level go up to +4dB

·
Registered
74 Posts
Do you know if the sconverter is a set ratio of upconversion or relative i.e. does it add 14dB no matter what or does it just make the level go up to +4dB
http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/diy-subwoofers-general-discussion/8235-samson-s-convert-alt-art-cleanbox.html

It is adjustable, notice the knob on the back (also has a knob on the front depending which way you need to convert -10>+4 or +4>-10). For instance my amp (P2500S) says that it has an input sensitivity of +3dbu, it's different for different amps, check your manual.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts