Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Cheap single banana plugs here. I had some doubles and the spacing wasn't great so I recommend singles only .

·
Registered
2,454 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
I just bought the cheap ones from monoprice and I couldn't be happier with them. And as was said above get the singles, they are just easier to deal with

·
HTS Reviewer
1,760 Posts
My preference is the "BFA" type banana plug with double set screws for the speaker wire. The BFA plug fits really securely and doesn't really come loose from the binding post. The double screw clamp seems to be about the strongest hold aside from a soldered connection in my experience, and I like being able to reuse them in different cables if needed. There are lots on eBay for pretty cheap. Usually Nakamichi branded.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I've used the Monoprice banana plugs for several years now and I love them. You're going to have an extraordinarily hard time beating the likes of Monoprice and Blue Jeans Cable when it comes to price-to-performance calculations.

Yours,

David

·
Registered
151 Posts
I've used the Monoprice banana plugs for several years now and I love them. You're going to have an extraordinarily hard time beating the likes of Monoprice and Blue Jeans Cable when it comes to price-to-performance calculations.

Yours,

David
Speaking of Blue Jeans, I use their locking banana plugs. Actually, I bought my speaker wire from them and ordered the sonically-welded, terminated w/ the locking bananas. Not as expensive as you might think.
My surrounds use their screw-type bananas, nice that they come w/ some heat-shrink tubing too.
http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/speaker/index.htm

I used to use these screw-type bananas from Radio Shack, http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2123188
They're just like the Blue Jeans ones except there's no 'bullet' inside.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
I made these cables here got the banana plugs off amazon and thay work great.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Which type of speaker connectors do you prefer? If you use banana plugs what are your favorites?
I silver solder my banana plugs, no point in good cable and poor terminations. I have found problems with the ones that have the contacts on a spring sleeve that some have used (first image), these I find can be intermittent and sometimes flux leakage gets between the spring contacts and the central shaft with no contact at all :hissyfit:. So I prefer the one's where the contacts are fixed (second image). I also prefer gold plated finding nickel needs cleaning about once a year due to oxidisation (we live near the sea) this helps even when the female it is plugged into is not gold plated with little oxidisation after even two or three years.

I never connect with bare copper wrapped round the terminals, IMHO this can result in accidental shorts and equipment damage and oxidisation occurs far more quickly

Attachments

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Rick. I have been using Sewell spring lock banana plugs.They seem to work fine for me. Solder would be better but I like the flexibility for swapping out gear as my system is changing (upgrading hopefully). Like you,I feel bare wire connections could be problematic.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nice plugs ! Amazon shows them on sale now 10 pairs for $49.99, $350 off. Are they usually that expensive.If so that is a crazy price.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Nice plugs ! Amazon shows them on sale now 10 pairs for $49.99, $350 off. Are they usually that expensive.If so that is a crazy price.
According to pricing data at Camel, the highest they've been in the last four years was $80 and the lowest was $32. :p

I also just use cheap ones from Monoprice. My only issue is the metal outer, but I just wrap one in red "black tape". ;)

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=104&cp_id=10401&cs_id=1040115&p_id=9436&seq=1&format=2

1 - 20 of 23 Posts