Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building a dedicated theater in a 18x24x8ft portion of a 24x39ft basement.

So far the audio equipment is seven KRK 10-3, four Dayton ULM18-22 in 4.4ft^3 sealed boxes with two Crown XTi 1002 amps. These are fed with an AV preamp having XLR outputs. The disk player is a cheap one.

The screen is a plasma 1080p

This room will be lined with 2x4 walls spaced away from the concrete walls of the basement. The floor Joists will be fiber filled and 2x4x12 foot floor bounce adsorbers will be placed between seating and speakers. The speaker distances for all 7 channels will be 8ft and positioning of the subs is to be determinded after the room adsorbers are installed. Two of the corners will have 2ftx4ftx7ft bass traps.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Welcome aboard artsci2! Glad to have another enthusiast with us. We love pics if you don't mind. You might consider positioning the subs for best placement, then measure the room & treat with absorption/diffusion. Always better to know what you are dealing with before you begin treating. Although some generalizations can be presumed! :wave:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome aboard artsci2! Glad to have another enthusiast with us. We love pics if you don't mind. You might consider positioning the subs for best placement, then measure the room & treat with absorption/diffusion. Always better to know what you are dealing with before you begin treating. Although some generalizations can be presumed! :wave:
Haha. You may regret asking for picts at this point. Just for safety, get yourself near an OSHA eyewash station before viewing these.

Right now the layout is rotated 180 degrees from where I plan on putting them. The pict that shows the surround back speakers also shows a hanging wall of mover's blankets spaced 2ft from the cement wall behind it. The surrounds are out of frame on both picts. The stairwell is to the right of the current screen location and is 18.5ft from the faux brick wall. The dedicated space is 18.6ft wide and 24.5ft deep. The ceiling is 8ft with 2x8 floor joists spaced 16".

In the foreground of the surround back pict is a pile of moving blankets (ultra heavy) and the rods/clamps to mount them during experiments. Also on the pict with the screen, you can see the bales of denim insulation that will be used to build soft walls. Peeking down from the ceiling are pillows that have been wedged into the floor joists. They will be replaced with denim insulation, then covered with the black moving blankets.

There is enough room to allow 4ftx4ftx7ft bass traps in two corners. With my intended 8ft distance to all speakers, there is also enough room to have 2ft of space between the soft HT walls and the cement walls on the front and one side wall. The other side wall has the stairwell and the rest of the 39ft basement behind it. The back wall will be soft and 5ft from the cement wall to create a walk-in closet that hopefully functions as an additional 10ftx5ft overkill bass trap. (I have resolved to tame the cluster of room modes at 40-46Hz)

The current tasks are silencing the HVAC and assembling a REW computer. I also need to fill the floor jack with sand.

I will be starting construction on the project in mid January.

The four Dayton ULM18-22 sealed subwoofers are mounted magnet-out to gain a bit of volume and get better voice coil cooling. There have been no audible noises coming from the magnet structure.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,817 Posts
Welcome to the forum... If you would like, I can move thread to the Home Theater Construction area. Just let me know. :T

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
+1, that's a great place to start. The first thing that comes to mind is the amount of damping material. Seems like a lot...might cause too much upper frequency absorption which may make the room sound a little dead. B. Pape should be able to give you some stellar advice there. Lots of help with REW as well. Looking good so far!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts