Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently finished a new subwoofer build project and installed my same BASH 300 amp and CSS Trio 12 sub and the amp which worked fine in my last sub about 5 months ago is now blowing fuses repeatedly. Anyone else had this problem? It seems like a short but nothing looks wrong with it besides the fuse blowing

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Nothing has to look wrong for a short to occur. If it is blowing fuses, then it is drawing way to much current. Depending on if it vaporizes the fuse or slowly opens could determine if something is ramping up the current draw or if you have a dead short to ground. Either way, the amp is broken and will need repair. I take it you have ohm'd out all your wiring and driver?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What do you mean by ohm'd out? And by it looks OK in just meant there was no obvious scorch mark anywhere where the short could be occurring.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
What do you mean by ohm'd out? And by it looks OK in just meant there was no obvious scorch mark anywhere where the short could be occurring.
Use a multimeter set on ohms to measure the resistance of your wire and drivers. You can measure various points to ground and see if you get a very low resistance measurement. All this will do is to verify what you already know, there is a short somewhere.

A cap, transistor and even a transformer can short internally and you would only be able to tell by measuring it.

Whatever you do, don't put a larger fuse it. This will cause more damage as now the parts will burn instead of the fuse.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Use a multimeter set on ohms to measure the resistance of your wire and drivers. You can measure various points to ground and see if you get a very low resistance measurement. All this will do is to verify what you already know, there is a short somewhere.

A cap, transistor and even a transformer can short internally and you would only be able to tell by measuring it.

Whatever you do, don't put a larger fuse it. This will cause more damage as now the parts will burn instead of the fuse.
Ok good to know, I've got an old Simpson 260 lying around here somewhere that I could test it with but it blows the fuse when there is nothing connected to it so I will probably just take it to a repair place. Any electronic repair store should be able to fix it right?

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
The same thing happened to me a month ago. My Bash 300 blew a fuse, I replaced it and it blew again. I took the amp out and it had burnt resistors. I ordered another one. As for getting yours repaired, repair shops are only as good as the technicians. Ask how much an estimate is, most shops will subtract the estimate price from the total repair bill should you decide to get it fixed.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea I called a couple places near me so I will aks them about it, if it looks like its not worth it to get it fixed a couple people have said to go with the 500 instead of the 300. How much of a difference will that make? And will it change the size that my box would need to be?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just looked it up and didnt realize how expensive both of them are. I still dont understand what happened in the couple months since using my amp that would have caused this to happen but it looks like my only course of action is repair as a replacement is a little too expensive to justify right now.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Do you have any experience using this amp? Would there be much of a quality difference? And also, I already have the hole cut for the BASH so it might not fit, it looks like the height is too tall.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cool, well thanks alot for the help. I think I'll try some places around me for repairs and if that isn't an option I'll probably pick up one of those.

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Check your local Craig's list for a replacement. Not sure I'd trust any repair shop with a BASH amp. I believe there are a couple of proprietary chips in use, and now that BASH is owned by an offshore company...well, not sure what kind of support any shop would get in trying to figure out how these amps are supposed to work. Google may be your friend, if you care to look for something that may be obviously bad. Or maybe you can find a shop who won't charge you unless they actually fix it. Good luck!

Hope this isn't taken as being in bad taste...but I have one that I bought a while back and never used. At least I think I do. :) Let me know if you're interested in buying it for what I paid.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This probably doesn't matter but would it make a difference in the power cord used? They all looks exactly the same and I would assume they are interchangeable but I just wanted to make sure I'm not doing anything really stupid before I go farther.

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
A power cord with a short would blow the breaker in your house's power panel. The fuse is protecting circuitry 'after' the power cord. Give it a good visual inspection and make sure there are no components touching. Not likely, but a possibility since the amp worked fine not too long ago.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That's what I figured. It was just weird to me that there was no ground connection in the amp and I started wondering if it initially used some sort of special cord for it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Look aroudn at the PDC board on the amp. Its about 1-2" high.

I have seen issues with that.

Also if you decide not fo fix it and want to sell it, I'd be interestied in grabbing it for parts.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts