Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunately, the Eclipse 10" drivers I have on hand are DVC 4 ohm each. I have two Bash 500 amplifiers. I was going to wire one per driver, but the impedance for each amp will have to be either 2 ohms (parallel) or 8 ohms (series).

Even at the supposed 500 watts the Bash amps put out, the drivers would want more, much less 1/2 of that being enough. Does anyone know what the output is of a Bash 500 into 8 ohms? I would guess at least 1/2 that of the output at 4 ohms, hopefully more if the amp doesn't have enough current capability to double into 4 ohms.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bummer. If the Bash amps are as over rated as other plate amps, that could mean as little at 150 watts at 8 ohms.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I realized the parameters would right after I submitted.

From a heat transfer perspective I don't understand the power handling though. Could you explain? My understanding is that there are two limiting factors of power, mechanical and electrical (heat). If mechanically limited, doesn't matter how the power is input, too much is too much. From a thermal standpoint though I would think a VC assembly could disappate X amount of heat regardless of how it's delivered (1 coil or 2) and all that is based on the design/geometry and such, like a vented pole, xmax, VC gap etc.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I didn't even consider powering only one coil. Just figured the strength of the magnetic field would be too weak to do the speaker justice. I wondered the same thing regarding power handling. It would seem that the power handling would be decreased, since all the power would be going through one wire. However, the heat dissipation due to convection would be the same.

Rather than take the chance powering just one coil or even making a test run of my Bash amp @ 2-ohm, I found the right solution - an EP2500 and Reckhorn! These 10's are fully powered now!

Anybody have a guess at what I should list my Bash 500's for on the classifieds? I was originally planning on using them, but after figuring out how well the EP2500 works, I decided to use the EP2500 for my 10's. I'll have to buy another EP2500 for my upcoming Maelstrom build. I am extremely impressed with the EP2500. Already did the fan mod, and the noise level is very acceptable.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was wandering i have a THX Klipsch computer sub it has the 500 watt Bash Amp on back of it.What Bash Amp would i need to buy to make it work for a home theater any input would help Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts