Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to using REW (and acoustic measurements all together...). I've already watched the GIK YouTube guide and read parts of the manual, but I still have some questions left.

Perhaps I first need to explain my intentions.
I've always wanted a home cinema and I saw my chance when we started building our own house a few years ago. I have a my computer room (4m by 5m20) above the garage which is also equipped with my home theater stuff.
I'm very happy with the result, but I'm aware acoustically I'm not getting the best result. Other than the couch there's nothing in the room that can absorb soundwaves. It's all hard and flat surfaces, so basically I'm watching my movies is an echo chamber. I'd like to improve that with a minimum of investment. I'm not that much of an audiophile that I has to be perfect. I'm already happy with "very good", or a lot better than what I have now anyway.

For starters I've bought a MiniDSP UMIK-1 mic.
The next DIY project would be replacing the 2 lights on the ceiling by 1m x 60cm x 10cm Rockwool panels with LED strips on top for indirect lighting.
Depending on how I manage with that first project, I'll see how I'll continue from there. I know I'll already need to convince my wife for the 2 panels on the ceiling, and I imagine adding even more stuff could result in some arguments ;-)

The first thing I did this week was setting the speaker levels to 75dB correctly. 2 years ago I did that with an app on my smartphone, so that was nowhere accurate. :sad:

So, I had some newbie questions, right? :)
* do I need to point the mic forward to the front speakers, or point it vertically?
* for inside use that wind foam thingy on the UMIK isn't required, right?
* do I measure all speakers at the same time, or do I need to unplug all but one?
* as my receiver automatically jumps to volume "82" (the THX reference sound level) when doing level calibrations I need to do my measurements around that volume as well, right? I must say, when watching movies, I never go over 65. 82 is way to loud!!
* I can forget all about the sound card & mic preamp stuff? The UMIK is an USB mic, so no preamp. And I don't use the sound card in my HTPC: the sound is sent over HDMI to the receiver.

This is my first attempt:
Mic pointed forward, all speakers connected, receiver output level set to 75, driver is Java, not ASIO.
I get a lot of frequency ranges over 90dB, so I'm doing the measurements with my hands firm against my ears. :dumbcrazy: If it really needs to be that loud I'll need to check for some earplugs later... :yikes:

Anyone who can 'translate' this for me?

Attachments

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
So, I had some newbie questions, right? :)
* do I need to point the mic forward to the front speakers, or point it vertically?
* for inside use that wind foam thingy on the UMIK isn't required, right?
* do I measure all speakers at the same time, or do I need to unplug all but one?
* as my receiver automatically jumps to volume "82" (the THX reference sound level) when doing level calibrations I need to do my measurements around that volume as well, right? I must say, when watching movies, I never go over 65. 82 is way to loud!!
* I can forget all about the sound card & mic preamp stuff? The UMIK is an USB mic, so no preamp. And I don't use the sound card in my HTPC: the sound is sent over HDMI to the receiver.
  • If focusing on speakers, point mic at the speaker. Focusing on room, point mic at the ceiling, or at 45 degree angle. You will get varying answers. It will only make a difference at high frequencies, say above 5 kHz or so.
  • No foam wind thingy.
  • Measure one at a time.
  • Frequency response: Measure at a comfortable level. 75 db is good. 70 db is OK, too. If you go lower, noise can affect your measurements. For level calibration, you can choose your own reference level and do level calibration at that level. I believe the right way to do it is use the 85 db level on the AVR and then set your speaker levels to the actual volume level you want. Someone else might have a better suggestion.
  • Forget sound card calibration, the calibration file for your UMIK-1 should DEFINITELY be loaded, it can make a big difference.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts