Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
That BMS woofer looks like it would benifit from being in a horn loaded enclosure, either a front loaded or folded horn arrangment. Then stack on top of that a 2x 10 mid cab with compression horns and you should have a pretty sweet sound. Have checked out Eminance drivers, reports say they are very robust speakers and can take fair pounding.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Really? I never thought of that. Was just gonna put it something like 120 liters ported enclosure, tuned to 30Hz. And I am going to choose my mids carefully. I want them to play up to the xover point of the compression driver, and abit past it, cleanly. I don't think 10s will do that for me. I'll probably be crossing the BMS (or whatever woofer I choose) at 250Hz, or so.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I suppose you could build a single unit 3-way, I only really suggested the horn loaded option because the sensitivity of the BMS driver was down a bit. What crossover point would you prefer for the tweeter? 4Kz? also what SPL do you think you'll require from these units?

·
Registered
521 Posts
I suppose you could build a single unit 3-way, I only really suggested the horn loaded option because the sensitivity of the BMS driver was down a bit. What crossover point would you prefer for the tweeter? 4Kz? also what SPL do you think you'll require from these units?

Yeah, I think ~96dB 1W/1M is still pretty good though, cause this will be an active crossover setup, with the woofer having its own amp (the mids and tweet may share one).

Well the crossover point for the tweeter will depend on the quality/type of mid I go with. I am looking at this from hi-fi perspective, so I want the drivers to be operating in comfortable ranges. It looks like most mids are optimally crossed over around 2kHz, higher or lower depending. I'd rather not spend more than $30-50 for the compression driver and horn lens, and the ones in htat price range don't like a crossover below 2kHz, so it seems.

So I guess ~2khz is what I am looking at so far.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Interesting thread. I've been working on designing a bass cab for a while now that will be fullrange for 5+ string basses. As a result I'm looking for an f3 in the 30 Hz range.

So far what I'm looking at is a BMS 18N830 on the bottom with a second cab. I'm not too sure on the second cab yet, but I'd like it to be possible to run the second cab as fullrange when I don't want to drag the 18" along. I'm leaning toward some sort of 2x12" setup with a compression driver.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Thats why I'd like to may the low-end part of my 3-way to be on the smaller side (~100-120 liters net).

These BMS drivers do look pretty sweet though.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
WillyD, perhaps you would be interested in something like this:

fullmodcab.JPG

2x 15" subs, 2x8" (or 10" by design) mids and either a bullet or compression horn tweeter.

This design is from an old Fane book I had lying around, but sounds like what you are after?

Geoff St. Germain said:
I'm leaning toward some sort of 2x12" setup with a compression driver.
Here is the 2x12" I am working on this weekend.

2x121.jpg
2x122.jpg
2x123.jpg

I am going to see how it sounds without internal bracing, Current modeling predicts it will have a FR from 40Hz - 16 Khz. Top centre hole is for a bullet tweeter and bottom is a 90mm port.

I hope to actually listen to it today some time. :bigsmile:

·
Registered
521 Posts
WillyD, perhaps you would be interested in something like this:
Yes, that is along the lines of what I want. I wasn't going to go with two 15s though. But why not? :bigsmile:

The two 8s I am pretty much set on, as they should be able to handle the proposed ~250Hz xover well, and will only be playing up to 2kHz or so. That would give both the mids and the woofers three octaves to handle, and the tweeter a bit more than three? Correct?

Mmm, I need to check out some more drivers now. :nerd:

And very neat little 2x12/bullet cab, Geoff! What drivers have you chosen?

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Yes, that is along the lines of what I want. I wasn't going to go with two 15s though. But why not? :bigsmile:

The two 8s I am pretty much set on, as they should be able to handle the proposed ~250Hz xover well, and will only be playing up to 2kHz or so. That would give both the mids and the woofers three octaves to handle, and the tweeter a bit more than three? Correct?

Mmm, I need to check out some more drivers now. :nerd:

And very neat little 2x12/bullet cab, Geoff! What drivers have you chosen?
I wouldn't worry about octaves, I'd just concentrate on the Freq' range and response of each driver then design and build the rest of the system around that. Combining your Cx3210 with an EP2500 for the 15's and an EP1500 for the mid/tweeters, should give a rather flexible setup for different venues and there problematic accoustics. It would also be a very cheap rig given its potential power.

Were you refering to me about the 2x12's, If so, I am using some older instrument drivers. They are rated 100W each and willshoot down to about 40 HZ.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Yeah, I wasn't really worrying about octaves, but I most certainly am concentrating on the response of each driver to make sure it is fairly smooth through it its intended frequency range.

And yes, you're right on about the amps. That is the exactly the type of combo I was thinking of.

Thing is, I don't even play venues...or anywhere outside of the house. I have NEVER had a real bass cab of any kind. Right now I am using the 10W amp from a cheap single 8" combo, to power two very old (circa 1973) 12" drivers in sealed enclosures. I just picked this 2310 up for a good deal and thought I'd build a relatively inexpensive single 3-way cab for multi purpose use.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Are you only going to build One cab or a pair, if you only want one then you don't really need the EP1500, you could just feed the lows to one channel of the Ep2500 and the highs to the other channel.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Just one cab. No need for two really, since it is just me playing one instrument, in one room.

Indeed I could use one channel off the 2500 to the woofers, one channel to the mids, and then I dunno what for the tweeter.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
passive Xover for the tweeter?? Or just an a500, really don't need that much power for the upper range.

On a different note:

2x12finished.jpg

I like the sound, but then I'm biased :bigsmile:

All I have left to do are the corner blocks and a decent socket.

·
Registered
521 Posts
passive Xover for the tweeter?? Or just an a500, really don't need that much power for the upper range.
Since I have the CX2310, I was just gonna use it...and yep, the A500 was on my mind. Neat little cab there!

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Still use the active, what I meant was you could either use the active xover for the sub/mids and a passive xover for the mids/tweeter this way you only need one 2 ch. amp (EP2500) or if you want to use the active xover for both sub/mids and mids/tweeter then you'll need to get another amp e.g the
a500. Sounds like you've got it all sussed out eitherway.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts