Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title says: my bass is floating about 1 foot above main listening/seating position - what can I do to lower it? The bass is positioned for the best response, however it's floating. Any ideas gang?

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
What kind of flooring do you have? Do you have more than one sub?

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Have you adjusted the phase on the sub/s as I think your canceling something out.

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
What is the height of the room and your seated ear height?

Bryan

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What is the height of the room and your seated ear height?

Bryan
The room height is 8ft. The seated position of where ears fall is 3.3ft. The bass is floating at exactly 5ft.

Thanks for any help, Bryan!

I'm also gonna try switching the phase today.

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
Well, if it's at 5', that's 62.5% of the room height - basically the predicted 38/62% optimal. Panels over your head and/or getting the sub off the floor are potential solutions in addition to tweaking phase.

Bryan

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, if it's at 5', that's 62.5% of the room height - basically the predicted 38/62% optimal. Panels over your head and/or getting the sub off the floor are potential solutions in addition to tweaking phase.

Bryan
I just did a walk-around and found something interesting. This image I created should help! (see attached)

Attachments

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Bryan
Should I play with how high I bring the sub off the ground or is there an optimal height? I've been wanting to build a bass-trap/riser - but never gave it any thought since I didn't think I would need one.....man, looks like I was wrong!

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
In the corner with the sub is going to cause the most issues. I'd just try it on the other side of the monitor but still on the front wall. Play with location and reset the phase accordingly but I think that will help some.

As for the height, try maybe 15" off the floor.

Bryan

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In the corner with the sub is going to cause the most issues. I'd just try it on the other side of the monitor but still on the front wall. Play with location and reset the phase accordingly but I think that will help some.

As for the height, try maybe 15" off the floor.

Bryan
Thanks Bryan - I'll give that shot this afternoon.

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
The height is purely a guess.

Bryan

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
The height is purely a guess.

Bryan
I'll experiment. Since I don't have a bass trap/rise, will raising the sub have any adverse effects?

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
It shouldn't. It's just getting it away from another boundary. You may notice a reduction in overall output but you'll get that just getting out of the wall/wall corner.

Bryan

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It shouldn't. It's just getting it away from another boundary. You may notice a reduction in overall output but you'll get that just getting out of the wall/wall corner.

Bryan
Well, after playing with the height of the sub, I was unsuccessful at getting the bass to settle within the listening level. :(
I moved the bass to the other side of the monitor and no dice. :hissyfit:

I even brought in an "expert" (see attached) and even she was unsuccessful.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
OK. Was there any improvement at all? Any change in frequency issues by either raising it or moving it?

Bryan

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK. Was there any improvement at all? Any change in frequency issues by either raising it or moving it?

Bryan
Not a huge difference - I even tried pushing the chairs one foot forward, one foot back - nothing. But when I stood up - I could hear the bass. :(

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
OK. If you did all of that, then the next step is to have some thick panels on the ceiling over the seating position.

Bryan

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK. If you did all of that, then the next step is to have some thick panels on the ceiling over the seating position.

Bryan
Define "thick". LOL!
Even with such a low ceiling? Craziness!

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
At least 4" thick with an inch or 2 gap behind it.

Bryan

1 - 20 of 41 Posts