Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay it's been quite some time since I've had a look at any potential improvements to my home cinema. Not that I am unhappy in any way it's just as a tweaker I am always looking to squeeze every last ounce of improvement from my system just for the fun of it :) I would love to hear your ideas on the following questions not just the main thread question which I will get to.

I have treated most of the room, tritraps in the front corners, sound absorbers along one side wall but not on the opposite wall as I have windows there so not much choice there really, just relying on a combo of blinds and curtains, how bad does this effect the balance?

Nothing on the ceiling as it will probably look a bit too much in a home cinema/living room and I am not really sure just how much positive impact it will have on the sound as I am worried that with all the absorption I have already it may deaden the room too much?

I have 3 bass traps along the rear wall about 1 foot behind the listening couch. Now to my main question.

I have to my left and right bipole surround speakers which fire towards the rear wall and to the front of the room, I sit in between the 2 tweeters, like you would with a dipole speaker when you sit in the null area, not ideal with a bipole I know as you are ideally supposed to have them placed slightly behind your listening position but I cannot really move the couch any further forward or move the bipoles further back as they are already only 2 feet from the rear wall.

What I would like to know is if I put tritraps in the rear corners is this going to have a negative impact on the surround sound? I would have thought it would as the tweeters firing at the rear wall would essentially reflect the sound off of those back corners filling up the rear soundstage, If I put tritraps there would they not deaden the rear soundstage?

I would interested to know your thoughts on this and how would anyone deal with rear wall room treatment if, like myself, you are using bipoles/dipoles and are close to the rear wall.

Marty

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
Well, I don't have bipole surrounds, so no real world experience. My thoughts are that the rear absorption may have an impact on rear imaging since there would be some attenuation. However, if you place the absorption out of the "line of fire" of the bipoles, then the attenuation should be less.

To find the line of fire, use the mirror trick that you likely used when placing the absorption on the side walls - sit backwards in the main listening position chair and have someone move a mirror along the rear wall. When you can see the surrounds, then that is not the place for the absorption.

3 bass traps were not enough for me. I ended up with 5 of the GIK Monster Traps in my 12x20x8 room. What is the thickness of your bass traps and how big are they? Note that 6" thick is about the minimum for bass traps to be effective.

I think it would be helpful to post a sketch of your room with chair and speaker positions and the current locations of the absorption.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have 3 Monster traps on the back wall.

If I was to put tri traps in the rear corners I would literally have hardly any bare wall left.

If you look behind the back corners of the couch there is about 2 feet between each corner on the Monster traps, sorry if it's a bit blurry.

My main listening position is next to my wife, busy on her phone as always :D

Marty

Attachments

·
Registered
186 Posts
My initial impression is that you are already absorbing some of the first reflections of the rear firing tweeter and any further impact on the surrounds would be very minimal and heavily outweighed by the positive impact of trapping.

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
You can get the Scatter Plate option on the Tri Traps for the rear to couple bass control with scattering.

Bryan

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Would that be a similar case to a diffuser in terms of you need to have a fair distance to have any effect, I would be about 2 feet from them?

Marty

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
Don't need quite as far and it looks like you'd be farther than that measured diagonally.

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
They just sit on the floor.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just one or would I need to stack a few on top of eachother to go up to and above ear height?

Or am i misunderstanding their purpose :(

Marty

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
Just one each side. That also helps avoid part of the problem. Primary goal is to get the bottom end decay time under control.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Bryan, When i get back to my laptop i will have a look at these panels, would they need to be straddled across each corner like a tri trap placement.

Marty

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
I was recommending the Tri Traps - but with the Scatter Plate option.

Bryan

·
Premium Member
8,367 Posts
I have a similar situation where the side surrounds are only about 2'6" forward from the back wall..
I built corner bass traps that extend up to just under the height of the surrounds..That worked well for me..
The only difference I have is one rear wall panel 5' x 5' and that has reflective facing..

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have a similar situation where the side surrounds are only about 2'6" forward from the back wall..
I built corner bass traps that extend up to just under the height of the surrounds..That worked well for me..
The only difference I have is one rear wall panel 5' x 5' and that has reflective facing..
That's a great suggestion Thanks, the only trouble is in the corner next to me I have my av equipment which is not moveable, this would mean that I could only fit a tritrap with height dimensions about 2 feet, this will go from ear height to the level of the bipoles tweeter......actually, will it still have a positive effect on the bass control considering it does not touch the floor?

In regards to your rear wall panel does that mean you only have diffusion on the rear wall, no bass traps?

I was recommending the Tri Traps - but with the Scatter Plate option.

Bryan
Ahh now I get it Thanks Bryan :T

So will the scatter plate be effective being right next to the firing line of the bipole, there won't be any rear soundstage loss?

Marty

·
Premium Member
8,367 Posts
That's a great suggestion Thanks, the only trouble is in the corner next to me I have my av equipment which is not moveable, this would mean that I could only fit a tritrap with height dimensions about 2 feet, this will go from ear height to the level of the bipoles tweeter......actually, will it still have a positive effect on the bass control considering it does not touch the floor?

In regards to your rear wall panel does that mean you only have diffusion on the rear wall, no bass traps?
A 2' high bass trap above your equipment rack is not going to do very much for you..Ideally the trap should be on the floor and at least 4' tall..
Is there no way of moving the equip. rack to the sidewall? How is it mounted now?
My rear wall panel is both absorber and reflector..It has 4" thick fibreglass faced with a 2ml. sheet of Mylar..

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The are on an equipment stand which is moveable but the trouble is the speaker cables to my mains go under the floor all the way to the front of the room, I have 2 issues if I want to move the equipment to the side wall:

1. The speaker cables will not stretch that far
2. I would have to move the couch away from the side wall in order to get to the av equipment, that means the sweet spot I have spent so long calibrating and eq'ing will be lost, literally if I move 2 feet from my position I get a noticeable bass energy loss :sad:

I could slide the equipment behind the couch but it's the same predicament, bass energy loss and having to start REW all over again :gulp:

Marty

·
Premium Member
8,367 Posts
I had the same problem with my equipment rack..My room is only 10' wide and just 13' long from the screenwall to the back wall, which didn't give me any room for the rack..so I put it in the room adjacent to the theatre..
That allowed me then to have 24" wide bass traps in the corners of the back wall..
If it's at all possible to move the rack next door, you can always extend your speaker cables..

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
There is no room next to my room, just a small hallway with some stairs :(

I will see if I can position the couch differently, I can then move the rack either next to or behind listening position. Sadly it means I will have to start all over again in terms of eq'ing :gulp:

Just had another thought, I have read quite often that diffusion is best for the rear wall but I think Bryan recommended Monster Traps only as the listening position was too close to have any real effect for diffusion. If that is the case wouldn't the scatter plate on the tri traps have very little effect?

If they are effective from a close range then would it be better for me to get scatter plates put on all of my Monster traps on that rear wall? I want to get as much treatment as possible but I am always concerned that I may make the room too dead, I am not sure how to tell if it is too dead at all.

Marty

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
You would want 3' minimum to the scatter plates, 4 or more is better.

Bryan

1 - 20 of 32 Posts