Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new here and recently I set up a home theater from sony...My place is small and there are only limited options to place the speakers. This is the best position i have come up with. The subwoofer is beside the couch and above it is the right surround speaker coz thats the best bass sound from the couch (i used the crawling method). The problem is the bass is loud but its not crisp so I'm planning to place some bass traps. Can anyone help me where to place the bass traps here?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
First thing to do is get as much space behind you as you can manage. I'm sure it can't be a lot but the farther you get from the wall behind you (up to about 1/3 of the room length) the less boomy the bass will be. Won't fix anything but it's something to do that's free.

A couple of bass absorbers with damped membranes behind your seating would be a good start. Looks like the only place to symmetrically place corner treatments though would be the wall/ceiling junction. Could probably get away with the left rear corner given it's much closer to you than the other side.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi bpape, thank you for your advice but the option to move my couch forward is not possible. I would be too close on my TV already if will do that. Do you have any link where i can see how to DIY the bass traps that you recommend?

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
That's a typical problem. People buy a screen and then the seating position suffers (and the bass response/clarity with it) when a smaller set would be brighter and sharper and you could sit in a better place and have the same viewing angles.

Not really hard to build - just use a perimeter frame, with 3lb fiberglass and a piece of pond liner on the front side floating against the fiberglass, and wrap with fabric.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree. I'm not really into acoustics before but now I'm very interested in learning about it now. Anyway, the fiberglass offers another problem for me because here in my region, it's not available but I have seen a type of foam that's heavier than the normal mattress foam. I don't know if it could give a closer result compared to fiber. Here is the image.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you projectors rule. It seems that you are very knowledgeable about this stuff. :D The sub under the TV is no longer an option because there is a drawer under it, placing the sub there means the drawer becomes unusable and its where the bluray player is placed. That leaves me to either place the sub at corners or hang it on the ceiling. Hope we could find a great solution for this problem.

By the way I placed the sub in the couch, i need to redo the test tomorrow using what you recommend.

Thank you again.:wave:

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
The foam is a rubberized closed cell type. Not suitable for acoustics. Can you get mineral wool instead of fiberglass? Not as easy to work with but it works. Also look for any sort of fiber insulation - cotton, etc.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Based on your layout, I would locate the sub under the tv, start closest to the right speaker and move incrementally towards the left. Or mentioned you used the crawling method, but did you use a hard chair to place the sub on and position the chair at the listening area? Or did you place the sub on the couch? If you placed it on the coach, you may want to try again with a hard wood or metal chair, then, crawl. But where you currently have it is not the best for sure, it's in a corner which is a big no no for accuracy and tight bass. I would place the sub under the tv and play with it from there. Also did you place the volume knob at half volume and turn the crossover all the way to the highest level? then run the tuning software? Set the crossover in the receiver to 80 and speakers should be small. Phase should be 0 or normal on the sub.
Although there is some debate about sub placement, a number of knowledgable acousticians
do in fact recommend corner placement, but obviously this would depend on the room and the sub.

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
Corner placement has pluses and minuses. Least SBIR, most gain, but also maximally excites the room modes. Every room is different.

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
Where are you getting this information? Bass control deals with much more than just bass - imaging, dialog clarity, etc. You can limit the range of them if desired but if done correctly, you'll actually end up with more, deeper, tighter bass.

2x3 for reflections is great if all you want to do is get mids and highs and if you're only dealing with 1 speaker and 1 seat. For 3 speakers and 8 seats, 2x3 is not even close to enough. Even if only 1 row, there is more to reflections than just mids and highs. Bass also reflects off the walls and can cause a lot of response issues. That requires more surface and thicker treatments. It's called SBIR.

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
You're welcome to your opinion but keep it civil. Not a great start at ingratiating yourself with the membership.

I asked where you got that information. Didn't get an answer. My recommendations are based on years of experience and treating everything from Grammy winning studios and mastering suites, to designing thousands of custom home theaters, to 6 figure audio rooms for manufacturers, dealers, and enthusiasts to churches and auditoriums, etc.

His reflections will be out in the kitchen and on the window. We're only talking about treating the right front corner (left front is the stairwell and takes care of itself. The left rear corner is much closer to the seating and will skew the response and imaging if not dealt with.

The left wall needs to be addressed from a full range perspective if possible to minimize the vast difference in reflection times as well as the difference in SBIR.

Bass is omni-directional, not non-directional. Bass builds up at all boundaries. Bass waves require larger surface area as well as more thickness. Can't hit a 10' wave with a 2x3 panel.

How much of that can be done in a residential environment with limited setup options is yet to be seen. Just laying out the optimal and then see what of it can be done.

The seating close to the rear wall is where all the bass builds up masking dialog, imaging cues, micro-dynamics, harmonic textures, etc. That needs range limited bass control also.

·
Registered
356 Posts
You're welcome to your opinion but keep it civil. Not a great start at ingratiating yourself with the membership. I asked where you got that information. Didn't get an answer. My recommendations are based on years of experience and treating everything from Grammy winning studios and mastering suites, to designing thousands of custom home theaters, to 6 figure audio rooms for manufacturers, dealers, and enthusiasts to churches and auditoriums, etc. His reflections will be out in the kitchen and on the window. We're only talking about treating the right front corner (left front is the stairwell and takes care of itself. The left rear corner is much closer to the seating and will skew the response and imaging if not dealt with. The left wall needs to be addressed from a full range perspective if possible to minimize the vast difference in reflection times as well as the difference in SBIR. Bass is omni-directional, not non-directional. Bass builds up at all boundaries. Bass waves require larger surface area as well as more thickness. Can't hit a 10' wave with a 2x3 panel. How much of that can be done in a residential environment with limited setup options is yet to be seen. Just laying out the optimal and then see what of it can be done. The seating close to the rear wall is where all the bass builds up masking dialog, imaging cues, micro-dynamics, harmonic textures, etc. That needs range limited bass control also.
I have followed your insightful contributions for some time and appreciate all the free help you have given us. This poster is obviously uniformed.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Absolutely. The only thing I would add is that attacking anyone the way he did is way over the line and we don't just look out for moderators. Had he done that to any user here he would have been gone. He can disagree with anyone, even someone expert in a particular area like Bryan, but it has to be done in a respectful way.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've been trying to look for wools and fibers here in my location and even our ace hardware here has no insulation supply. I don't know other alternatives for bass traps. By the way I'm using sony's BDV-E690 home theater. I also downloaded REW but i don't know how to use it with my laptop 'coz it only has 1 jack for mic(in) and headphone(out) at the same time. I'm not also contented with the highs. Can I place a small piezo tweeter connected parallel with the fronts?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you Bryan. I have just read your post. I'm very thankful for your explanation about the bass wave and its behavior. You are right, if I go to the left rear side close to the door, I can hear the bass resonating but if I listened from the table, the bass is good (i guess here is the location with the best bass response). Are you advising that I should place my bass trap (if I could find the materials) on the left rear corner-to-ceiling part only?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you Bryan. I have just read your post. I'm very thankful for your explanation about the bass wave and its behavior. You are right, if I go to the left rear side close to the door, I can hear the bass resonating but if I listened from the table, the bass is good (i guess here is the location with the best bass response). Are you advising that I should place my bass trap (if I could find the materials) on the left rear corner-to-ceiling part only?

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
The left rear is a good place to start. I would also look at the wall behind you due to proximity and then the left wall.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The left rear is a good place to start. I would also look at the wall behind you due to proximity and then the left wall.

Am I correct in this picture?

What are your recommended dimensions for front left, rear left and back wall?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
Yes - my mistake on the stairs. I read the direction of travel wrong. Sorry. Both left corners would be good as well as thick panels on the wall behind you and then look at the early reflections on the left wall.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts