Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Is this a single subwoofer? What are the dimensions of your room and how much air goes in and out of the room or into a next room for example. It looks like it could be exciting some room modes but how close is the subwoofer to a wall? Is the subwoofer on the side wall between the front wall and the seating? Which subwoofer is this? I will try some searching to see what info I can find on your setup.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I screwed up when generating the waterfalls. I had Time Range set at 300ms and Window set at 600ms when all my previous graphs had the two settings reversed. The two corrected versions are below.

To the other questions... My room is about 10' x 16.5' with a small hallway of about 4' x 4' off to the front right side of the room. All the doors to other rooms are closed except for an opening of about 3' x 3' where I built an equipment rack into the closet of an adjacent room. I plan to seal this off.

I currently have a single sub (HSU VTF 2 MK1 - though I am currently on the pre order list for Emotiva's new dual sub). The sub is in the front left corner currently. There are a few other locations that I can try. However, shouldn't the bass traps make some improvement regardless of the location of the sub?

Thanks!
The modes in the room will be excited dependent on where the sub is located regardless of absorption. There just is no way to treat frequencies that low. I was thinking maybe the sub was closer to the listening position, but for a room that size, it looks better than your first graph. The ringing very low on the graph does seem to be lasting a very long time now looking at the longer decay which I agree with bruce on now seeing that. It would be a good idea to try new placements now with the traps installed and then you can try the locations with the new subs also. Since you are getting duals you will want to establish two locations.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
While I'm thinking of it, what might a decent waterfall graph look like? Anyone have an example to share?
I was told mine was good but I have also been told the reflected sound is under 30dB lower which is to far meaning I have to much absorption. I am getting more room treatments soon. This is my unequalized response with a pretty high target. My room is considered to be a little more challenging than many other dedicated rooms. Your looking at your waterfalls with a high target, and it is more common to look at the 75dB target. I prefer about -5dB or -12dB lower listening level. I have a semi impressive amount of bass trapping.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.