Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new home is under construction and as described in the system recommendations thread I am building a dedicated home theater room in the basement. Well today the walls of the room have been framed and things will start moving along. I created the thread to get feedback as we move along. This forum has been great for picking out equipment, and now I hope people can aid me as we go through the the next phase.

I will try to upload a couple pictures that I took today.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here are a couple (somewhat blurry) photos of the initial framing of the room.

The room will be 17' 3" x 18' 2".

There will be an attached (and vented) 12' x 6' equipment and storage closet.

Here is my equipment list (just for the dedicated room) that is sitting waiting to get installed:

AV Receiver - Yamaha RX-A820
Front Speakers - PSB GT1
Center Channel - PSB Platinum C2
Surrounds - PSB M6X1
Subwoofer - HSU VTF-2 mk4
Projector - Sony VPL-HW30EAS 1080P 3D
Screen 0 Vutec Vu-Easy 110" diagonal 16/9 Screen
Equipment Rack - Omnimount RE-27 Rack mount with built in cooling fan
Media Server - Popcorn Hour A-300 w/ 1 TB Hard Drive
Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-93
Gaming - XBox 360 w/Kinect

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
I am sure you have thought of this, but wire everything you can possibly imagine - and maybe some that you can't :) - before the sheetrock goes up. Coax, Cat 6, HDMI, speaker wire, interconnects, etc.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Subscribed; looks like you've got a good plan in mind. Don't know if I will be of any use, but hey, I'm a mechanical engineer, and that's got to account for something, right? Bueller?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My biggest worry is will my sectional be far enough back to have the surrounds be correctly placed on the sides, but still make an enjoyable viewing experience.with a 110" screen I think I am right near the edge of what ir recommended, but the doors make any more movement or different placements problematic.

·
Premium Member
8,367 Posts
That was my concern as well when I saw your plan..
Your seating position is a bit close for that size screen..and your surrounds are not quite far enough back to be in an ideal position..

You have two alternative possibilities..
1. change you screen aspect ration to 2.35:1..That way you could sit a bit closer and have your surrounds more to the sides of the sofa..
2. Orientate the layout 180 degrees..That will give you more flexibility for seating position and surround speaker location..

·
Registered
219 Posts
I'm also a bit worried about your seating placement being to close to the centerline in the room, which is the worst place acoustically to sit. You ideally want to sit in the 60-80% zone from the front wall which will help with Sub EQ. Is it possible to have the doors open out instead of in or do a single door? Double doors, while dramatic, are terrible from a sound transmission standpoint. I'd consider a single door, that opens out, not in and move the couches back. Consider placing your speakers up higher as well toward the ceiling to give you bit more distance.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think the idea of rotating the room 180 degrees is the most feasible. My worry with that was the light coming through the French doors (solid core) would be a distraction. But I can find work arounds for that.

What are your guys thoughts for subwoofer placement? I did not mention the ceiling are just under 9 feet. Hopefully my HSU sub will work well enough in that space until I can afford to get another matching sub. I do have a basic powered Onkyo subwoofer in my current arrangement, would it be useful to utilize that as a secondary submuntil I can afford a matching sub?

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
Love seeing a build come together, will be watching it all come together. Good room specs...I agree with the doors constraining your placement of seating and speakers.

·
Premium Member
8,367 Posts
If you're turning the layout around, then I would place the sub near the equipment corner..Keep it away from the double doors..
You won't know the best position until you've done some tests, so you might have to move it around a bit..
With a secondary sub. you'll need to try different positions in the room to get a good overall balance..
A good starting point is on the back wall..

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Going along with hjones' suggestion of wiring for everything you can think of, you might want to consider running a few leads for ceiling speakers. I'm hearing more and more about overhead channels lately, and it can't hurt to run some more speaker wire while you have the place opened up.

Regarding the light from the doors, would it be possible to mount some kind of retractable blackout drapes to them? It might also help a little bit with acoustics if you used some nice thick absorbent material, since it would cover up the hard, reflective glass panels.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I think that would look awesome. And you could still add some kind of acoustic treatment to the front of it if you needed it too. Maybe build some DIY panels and make a nice artistic pattern with them or something, or you could make the full door an absorber for a nice simple look.

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
Thats a cool concept....that could work for blocking windows in a room too...on a smaller scale design....Nice.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Because of where the Geothermal HVAC ducts had to run I am having to switch to a drop ceiling instead of a drywall ceiling. So, are there any brand recommendations for both acoustics and/or price and quality?

Also, I was planning to paint the ceiling a dark color. It is better to paint the ceiling tile or see if they have a dark or black color option?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.