Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought that Battle Los Angeles was an excellent movie and the first one in a long time that I felt lived up to the promises that were made in the trailer. Awesome movie!!

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I've been reading a lot of reviews by critics that basically say it's garbage. I've also read a ton of movie fans comments that say it's awesome. I personally thought it was great as did everyone in my party. I just thought I would get some input from others here on HTS. It seems like film critics are getting more and more out of touch with movie goers. Several of the same critics that hated The Expendables, hated Battle Los Angeles...

·
Registered
120 Posts
I haven't read a word about Battle: Los Angeles, but was hoping to see the movie based on the trailer. Just hit up rottentomatoes.com when I saw this thread, and it's really odd how 32% of critics like the movie, but almost the exact opposite: 67% of average joes enjoyed it. Anyways, I'm either seeing this or Rango tonight. If this, then I'll let you know what I thought! :T

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I saw that on Rotten Tomatoes. I even read Roger Ebert's review and his statements were:
"Young men: If you attend this with friends who admire it, tactfully inform them they are idiots. Young women: If your date likes this movie, tell him you've been thinking it over, and you think you should consider spending some time apart."

I liken this to the "You call that music?!" syndrome that every generation has to hear from the generation before them. I actually saw one review where the reviewer stated that he wanted better characters that he could care about like John Matrix (Schwarzenegger) in Commando. To which I thought "Really? John Matrix in Commando is your reference?"

·
Registered
359 Posts
Based on the trailer, this didn't sound like anyting that I'd be intrested in, but since you recommend it, I've stuck it on my netflix queue.
I'm part of Eberts generation, so I'll give you an opinnion after I've seen it.:eek:lddude:

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds good Koyaan, hopefully it won't be too much of let down. It actually had more in common with Black Hawk Down than it did with a Independence Day or War of the Worlds. The story centers around a group of marines trying to get a couple of civilians out of a hot zone before the bombers make a pass and drop some serious ordnance to wipe out the aliens. Really good action movie.

·
Premium Member
8,367 Posts
I've been waiting for this to come out on blu-ray..The previews look good but it does state "course language"..Is there much of that in the movie?

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There is quite a bit, but being that it is PG-13 it isn't as bad as it could be. In other words they don't use real hardcore curse words but there is a lot of general swearing.

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
Speak no evil see no evil.........I figure if its a good action packed movie/thriller there is going to be some colorful language. And if its very good movie they usually use other words and do maybe a one off word.

I was going to go see this movie tonight but I love watching my movies at home. Especially on my new sub. So the only reason for me to go to the Cinema is to see the huge screen. But some day I will be able to remedy that.

·
Premium Member
8,367 Posts
Speak no evil see no evil.........I figure if its a good action packed movie/thriller there is going to be some colorful language. And if its very good movie they usually use other words and do maybe a one off word.

I was going to go see this movie tonight but I love watching my movies at home. Especially on my new sub. So the only reason for me to go to the Cinema is to see the huge screen. But some day I will be able to remedy that.
Yeah thanks David..It sounds like it should be OK..It's constant foul language that I can't stand..
BTW..congrats on your Sonotube..sounds like it worked out well..

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
Thanks........hopefully I will have the matching one to make the pair finished when the movie hits BR.

Building some Def Tech BP3000TL clones now. I dont think they will be done though before the movie is out on BR :(

·
Registered
591 Posts
Its the basic genre (sci-fi-ish-gratuitous-blowing-stuff-up) that always appeals to me, I'll definitely be watching it. What can I say, I am easily entertained. I'm happy that I enjoy 80% of what I rent / buy, versus the critics that seem to only enjoy about 10%.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Yeah... same here. I think this will be a good one for me and I am looking forward to it being released on media.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I enjoyed the movie. I wasn't expecting a deep storyline or anything like that. I expected a fun, things get blown up type of film and that's exactly what I got :)

Yeah thanks David..It sounds like it should be OK..It's constant foul language that I can't stand..
BTW..congrats on your Sonotube..sounds like it worked out well..
To be fair, the protagonists are a bunch of marines in a bad situation, so there is bound to be a decent amount of cursing. I think the f-bomb gets dropped once (if it even gets used at all, I can't recall for certain), but I don't really remember there being all that much cursing throughout the movie.

·
Registered
359 Posts
This showed up on Netflix instant view. I watched about the first half hour then couldn't take anymore. IMHO this movie is really terrible. The screen play is really bad, the acting is really bad, the direction is really bad, the effects are only pretty bad.

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The Battle for Los Angeles currently on Netflix is not the same Battle Los Angeles being discussed on this thread. The one on Netflix was a SyFy channel original direct to video movie. Look up the trailer on YouTube for Battle Los Angeles and you'll see the difference.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts