Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently painted the first box I am building with Rustolium Bed liner paint and it overlay strong smell has permeated through most of my house.

Anyone who used the roll on Rustolium bed liner know if the painted surface will continue to smell after it dries?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, the wife just messaged me saying its becoming to much. Its a decent size house and its pretty much full of the smell. I would have used a different paint if I had known it would be this ridiculous. Might move it into the shed when I get home.

Do you think the smell will go away once it drys after a few days?

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
It goes away once it's cured on the piece, which is only a few hours. The smell stays in the house for a day or two if you paint inside. My wife complains about the smell too. It's the vapors from the paint before it cures that stinks. Water based enamels are much less stinky.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's good to know. My poor dog slept in the upstairs media room last night which sits above the garage. Someone closed the door on him so he had to breath that junk in all night. I might have to buy him a steak to make up for it.

I find the edges of the cut MDF like to absorb my paint. I'm guessing my prime job may have not been good enough. Might try throwing a layer of primer down if it soaked up last nights coat. And I will be doing multiple coats of primer on the second box to hopefully do as few coats of bed liner as possible.

Only positive thing about this was the paint itself only cost my $37. I managed to get the store to give me a discount because the can was very dented. The gallon normally goes for about $60.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.