Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My current HT setup is a Cynosure center channel I built, the rest of the small speakers are Orbaudio Mod2 (LF, RF, LR, RR). Since I'm replacing my front left and right speaker with my current build (AA Arbiter MTM), I have 4 Orb audio speakers to use. Should I stack them in my back speakers to have 4 Orb's each for my rear's, or use them for the 6 and 7th channel(rear back) for a 7.1 system? I'm not quite sure how much stuff is out there that is 7.1 channel capable. I need your opinions.

My receiver is a Pioneer VSX815 (this has 7.1 capability)

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
How large is your room and do you have the rear seating at least 3' from the back wall where you would be placing them for 7.1?

·
Banned
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The room is 20' deep and 16' wide. It opens up into the kitchen which is about the same size as the living room (open floor plan). The back of the couch is 6 feet from the rear wall.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Your room is defiantly a candidate for a 7.1 speaker setup. I would go that rout for sure.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I agree with Tony. In a medium to large size room the 7.1 is worth it. If you had a smaller enclosed room I would say stick to 5.1. As far as what is out there to take advantage of it, I would say very little. The big drive for 7.1 is Bluray which is still in it's "growth" stage. Regardless, your receiver will output through all the rear speakers on any dolby digital track. It won't truly be 7 individual channels but having listened to both true 7.1 tracks and regular dolby digital, you really have to listen for the difference... Just my 2 cents..

·
Banned
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was looking at a couple of sites for a 7.1 setup and got two different answers. The THX site has the back surrounds (channel 6 and 7) side by side. The dolby site has them a bit spread out and angled inward. Before I go cutting holes in the drywall to run wires, I need to know what the best setup is. Some pros and cons maybe?

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
THX Needs to update there graphics as that is not the best configuration now that there are movies with true 7.1 audio. The proper way is to have 4' between them do not mount them in the corners of the room.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Also if I remember corectly, the surrounds should be placed slightly higher than ear level. Not aimed directly at the listener. My memory may be outdated though.

·
Banned
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was planning on installing them up at the wedge between the wall and ceiling. We have a nice painting that the wife does not want any speakers near, so my only choice is up at the top of the wall (10' ceiling). My listening area is 3/4's back from the TV wall. What would be the best direction to aim them considering my situation?

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
My listening area is 3/4's back from the TV wall. What would be the best direction to aim them considering my situation?
Given that, I would aim them at the floor in the front of the room where you sit slightly angled in.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts