Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Brucek,

Do i have to have the DEQ plugged inline while doing the RS SPL, Soundcard, and Microphone calibrations? Doesn't seem so, but Im not sure,
Thanks
Fore

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
You don't require the DEQ when doing the soundcard calibration since you're simply looping from line-out to line-in of your soundcard.

I don't know what RS SPL and microphone calibration means?

brucek

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I'm supposed to start off doing a soundcard cal, but when I hit Measure, Iget "->SPL meter reading has not been calibrated. Calibrated measurements cannot be made until the SPL reading has been calibrated. Results may not reflect actual SPL levels" I can proceed or cancel out.

(btw, I've already loaded newecm.cal under MicMeter w/ C Weighted unchecked as this is for the mike of course. ) But is seems I have to cal. my RS SPL meter, then do the soundcard, but I guess then I have to have the whole system up and running. Hope this makes sense.

Thanks Brucek!

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
But is seems I have to cal. my RS SPL meter, then do the soundcard, but I guess then I have to have the whole system up and running. Hope this makes sense.
Yeah OK, I get what you were referring to.

First you calibrate the soundcard as you did, but after that you need to run the Check Levels routine in the Settings popup. It will create a subwoofer signal, and you need to turn up your receiver until your own SPL meter reads 75dB at the listening position. Then you set the Input Level to finish the Check Levels routine.

Once you've done that, you have to tell REW that its own SPL meter is reading 75dB. How would it know otherwise. To do this you press the CALIBRATE SPL in the Settings popup under the Meter tab.

Then you can Measure.

brucek

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yeah OK, I get what you were referring to.

First you calibrate the soundcard as you did, but after that you need to run the Check Levels routine in the Settings popup. It will create a subwoofer signal, and you need to turn up your receiver until your own SPL meter reads 75dB at the listening position. Then you set the Input Level to finish the Check Levels routine.

Once you've done that, you have to tell REW that its own SPL meter is reading 75dB. How would it know otherwise. To do this you press the CALIBRATE SPL in the Settings popup under the Meter tab.

Then you can Measure.

brucek
I see Brucek, Thanks for the explanation. I've done a soundcard cal. measurement, but i'm not sure if I didi it right, the curve is perfectly flat till grad rolloff below (75.4db at 10 down to 67db at 2hz), and only a sl. drop off (75.9 at 10khz to 75db at 20dhz) Does this sound right?

(I too havent' yet figured out how to post graph:whew:

I'll save this as a soudcard cal. file and proceed as you mentioned if this is right.

Thanks, this is way more complicated than anticipated hehe

Fore

Oh, one more thing? When I hook it up the AVR and DEQ to Check Levels, or whenever I get to the stage of having to choose Equilizers, there's no DEQ option, should I choose BFD Pro DSP1124 or BFD Pro FBQ 2496 or just Generic?

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Does this sound right?
Yes

I too havent' yet figured out how to post graph
See here

there's no DEQ option, should I choose BFD Pro DSP1124 or BFD Pro FBQ 2496 or just Generic?
You'll have to enter the filters by hand since there is no DEQ option. But you'll need to select FBQ2496 option to obtain the correct filter entries. You'll also have to convert the decimal values to fractional values that I believe the DEQ uses.

brucek

1 - 7 of 7 Posts