Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
81 - 100 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
Those panels are coming up in a few days..next is the stage, then the rear panels or component rack if my lead does not work out on a server rack.
but now that the game is over, I can get back to some destructive work... first though, I think I will give Hancock a look on bluray in there!

kirby

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
Construction of the stage frame.
I decided to build it in the garage so I can ensure its square and such.
I cut 2 2x's to 7' and sliced it 2/3 way through every 1"... ever seen a wiggly 2x?

I used a wood working trick here. 2x2's are square on only 2 sides, so I cut some blocks and screwed and glued the square corner to get the backs square. I cut others at 10 degrees to give me good support. I dont want to rely on screwing into the endgrain to keep these bent 2x4's attached.

I cut different lengths to make the stage take a general curve that was a little deeper in the middle for better looks.

Then it was just a matter of clamping it up, and screwing all the screws in. I reinforced the joints with Poly urethane glue so that they dont pop loose.
After all this, I duplicated it on the other half of the stage.
Used a sawzall to cut off the excess length from the flexible 2x4, and planed all the cross pieces, so that the stage will sit level...

Heres the finished frame out...

Kirby

Attachments

·
Banned
137 Posts
Nice work! It may be just as simple to use 1/2" plywood ripped 3-1/2" if you have anymore of these to do. Glued and screwed, it makes a clean radius and a smart piece of nailing area ;)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Carpet for the stage is proving to be difficult to find. I wanted to do all black for a couple reasons, not the least of which is not having enough of the room carpet left to roll the stage edge.
I read that Lowes had black carpet in stock, so i did not give it any thought in planning.

All Lowes and HD have is an outdoor black carpet thats really thin.

So Question:
If I use this thin outdoor carpet, can I use a pad since it does not have a mesh backing?

I wanted to use traditional carpet attachment of carpet strips and such, but this stuff seemes to need to be glued.

Opinions?

kirby

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
Installed...

Glued and screwed to the floor, filled with r19, and the ply glued and screwed to the frame.

I set the pad and carpet cutout on there, and we watched the Imax Project Red Flag :Fighter Pilot. I did not hear any new resonances, so hopefully the deck is solid enough.
I did not try any 2 channel biamped music yet, but I think the bass from the movie was enough to test for vibrations and echos from the stage.

If you are wondering about the gap in my "Square" stage halves... the stages are square, guess whats not... yep, the wall. Not a factor due to the carpet covering, but sure is aggrevating... It must be floated out in the sheet rock above because there is no bow in the screen wall itself, just the bottem of the sheet rock.

kirby

Attachments

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
Well, I found one place in town who had a black carpet in stock. Turned out to be Eggs-act-lee what I had in mind so, with the low labor cost, I am just going to have the carpet guy install it for me. They will be here tomorrow...

The photo shows the carpet I selected (the long strip) and the lowes carpet sample.
FYI: the granite the carpet is sitting on is what I will use for the counter top in the back of the theater next to the component rack. The cabinet will have candy snacks, and popcorn if my wife has her way...

Kirby

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
That counter is going to blend in perfectly. Nice choice.

That thicker blacker carpet will be nice.

Bryan

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
Looking good Kirby..:T

Any particular reason for such a low profile stage.?

Thanks for the compliments guys...

Actually that photo is a little deceptive. The brown carpet is rolled up on the side making it look short.
The platform is going to be about 5" inches off the floor when the carpet and pad are in place. The ply is 1" thick.

I could have gone another inch or so in hind sight.

Kirb

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
Thanks Sonnie...

Wife and I spent the night away, and the babysitter and her brothers officially broke in the theater!
They watched 6 movies in there...Wholly cow... It met with thier approval already...

So not much time today but I did something useful. Logitec was kind enough to replace my failed Harmony 880 with a new one, so I spent the evening entering the equipment, and setting up activities. Theater is almost a one touch toy now! So now I dont have to worry when Jr runs off with one of the remotes.
I think however, that once the rack is built, I will still have to install an IR repeater as the older DVD player that I use for DVD-audio discs and CD's does not see the remote reflection off the screen.

So Opinion time again...
The panels for the walls were going to be a khaki Burlap...I think its now going to be too light.
I am concidering covering them in the black speaker fabric since I cant find a dark brown burlap that matches.

Opinions?

Kirby

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
The panels for the walls were going to be a khaki Burlap...I think its now going to be too light.
I am concidering covering them in the black speaker fabric since I cant find a dark brown burlap that matches.

Opinions?

Kirby
Did they already shipped them??? ...I think most companies have different burlap colors, if they did send them, ask if the can replace them or like you said, buy some fabric and cover them (I bought some speaker cloth at Joanns Fabrics) :yes:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
I am building the panels myself, so no fabric has been purchased yet, other than samples. I can still get what ever you guys decide for me...

Kirby

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 · (Edited)
Carpets IN!

Thats the way to do a home theater... pay others to do the stuff you cant... I would not have been able to do this correctly, certainly not as fast. In and out in 1.5 hours... and an extra $20 for them to tack and stretch the carpet I cut...

Looks good, but you will never know it from the photos... You guys will just have to come see for yourself...

Anyway, heres some grainy snaps I boosted in Photoshop to at least be able to see the outline of the carpet.

Kirby

Attachments

81 - 100 of 131 Posts