Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this amp OK for subwoofer use?

I don;t need much power as I am using an Audiosource a300 and it has enougg power but clicks like crazy like it is turning on and off.

I don;t want the pro amps with fans I just want to know will this thing produce 3-400 actual watts?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Randomly during playback or even during quiet times it clicks as if I am turning it on and off. I have no idea why it does this but I am just going to return it.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
I don;t need much power as I am using an Audiosource a300 and it has enougg power but clicks like crazy like it is turning on and off.

I don;t want the pro amps with fans I just want to know will this thing produce 3-400 actual watts?
I think that your Audiosource Amp300 might has enough power to run the sub but not enough to handle big peaks (like in explosions, crashes, etc.) :yes:

Can you give more details about your sub ... so the experts can recommend something for you???

As far as the fan goes, I read that pro-amps will rarelly turn on the fan in HT use (unless you play everything loud and demand a lot of power from the amp ... I just bought a Samson Servo 600 that looks nice (blends with the rest of the equipment, here is a link ); I was also considering the A500, but for a little $$ I got more power :yes:

BTW ... Samson will have more power than the Amp300 (600 bridged @8ohms instead of 475 and 300 per side @4ohms instead of 235) :yes:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah like I said already I don't need any more power than what the Audiosource delivers I just want an amp that does it well.

I have never heard of the samson but it seems to be 50% more than the A500 with no advantage that I can find.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
I have never heard of the samson but it seems to be 50% more than the A500 with no advantage that I can find.
Behringer A500 can be had for around $199 and Samson is $299, but I got mine refurbished for less than that :yes:

Have you contacted Audiosource to ask why the amp is clicking during playback??? ...Could be the switch of the fan (if it has one) turning on and off??? :huh:

·
Registered
430 Posts
As far as the fan goes, I read that pro-amps will rarelly turn on the fan in HT use
That will depend on the amp. My Behringer EP2500 run constantly and at the same speed, albiet a lot quieter than stock since I swapped the fan. My Crown CE4000 runs constantly, but has a variable speed. That one is quite noisey since I've not swapped that fan.

For HT use, it could be possible to eliminate the fans completely, but during loud music periods, I would hate to not have the fans on. An idea I've had it to use a thermostat to switch the fan on and off depending on amp temp. A more simple idea is to just install an exterior switch so YOU control when you want the fans on or off, but what if you crank it and forget to turn on the fans? Thermal shut down. :(

Another option would be to swap fans and also install a resistor to decrease the speed. Air movement would be minimal, but would still work for typical movie watching, likely even at reference levels.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
For HT use, it could be possible to eliminate the fans completely, but during loud music periods, I would hate to not have the fans on. An idea I've had it to use a thermostat to switch the fan on and off depending on amp temp. A more simple idea is to just install an exterior switch so YOU control when you want the fans on or off, but what if you crank it and forget to turn on the fans? Thermal shut down. :(
Yeah ... I don't think is a good idea to completely eliminate the fan; and the exterior switch is okay ... but how you will know the temperature to turn on or off??? :bigsmile:

The termostat idea is excellent ... I remember reading something similar online :yes:

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Fredm,

From experience, I think it is very hard to have too much power....Do you mean clipping instead of clicking or something? what sub do you have?
I believe fan noise is only a problem when listening at very low volume, and that never happens with me.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fredm,

From experience, I think it is very hard to have too much power....Do you mean clipping instead of clicking or something? what sub do you have?
I believe fan noise is only a problem when listening at very low volume, and that never happens with me.
No I mean loud clicking just like the sound when you turn your AVR on and off. Anyways that amp is gone i returned it already.

It is possible to have to much power when less power provides results that are acceptable and more power moves your budget to unacceptable levels

I would be willing to deal with the pro setup if it was just fan but there is also the input sensitivity issue which just makes it to many headaches for the extra headroom.

Any other amps out there similar to the A500 besides the Samson (thanks salvasol) I should check out?

·
Registered
316 Posts
I would be willing to deal with the pro setup if it was just fan but there is also the input sensitivity issue which just makes it to many headaches for the extra headroom.

Any other amps out there similar to the A500 besides the Samson (thanks salvasol) I should check out?
If you use a Behringer DCX2496, this will fix the level incompatibility issue. Although the DCX has XLR balanced inputs, it also has a very low noise analog variable input gain stage designed specifically to deal with a wide variety of input levels. A simple RCA to XLR adapter/cable is all that is required. There is absolutely no need for a device such as the ART Cleanbox. At the very most, if you end up with a ground loop hum in the connection, use a passive device: a ground loop isolation transformer. Art makes a superb one that has a variety of input and output adaption connections.

I also believe that almost ANY system, from HT to dedicated 2 channel will benefit immensely from a device such as the DCX. It allows precision tonal shaping for listener preference, room correction via parametric bands and it's crossover is far more sophisticated and will allow more ideal blending of subs to mains as compared to a HT receiver's internal crossover system.

-Chris

·
Registered
430 Posts
There are pro-amps out there with a .775v input sensitivity, just like the A500; The Crown CE4000 is one of them. Face Audio also has some.

Some AVR's have higher voltage pre-amp outs then others. I believe Armystud on AVS tested his Onkyo to 4v while still remaining "clean". I could have the wrong person though. In any case, a 4v output is plenty strong for an amp with a .775v input sensitivity. Or even 1.6v like the Behringer EP2500.

*edit*
On the flipside, you have people like Penngray on AVS who've used quite a few different pro amps, including the Face Audio, yet still didn't have good luck. He says his receiver was unable to put out a high enough signal to get the proper amount of power out of his amp(s). I think he even tried an ART clean box?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry I don't know.

I bought an A500 so I will see how that works out. Hopefully it works.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts