Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first post. I just built a three-subwoofer stack per side using the GR Research SW-12-16FR servo speakers in an open baffle design. Although the servo amps come with defeatable built-in PEQ, I find that its range is not adequate to correct the freq response curves in my room. I have a DEQ 2496 left over from an old project, but I can't figure out how to use it as a crossover/equalizer. Can anyone out there help me out?
Thanks,
Chuck

·
Premium Member
3,777 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. Have fun. Dennis

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
Welcome to HTS. I definitely think the DIY Subwoofer or General Subwoofer Subforum would provide the best answers about your Build.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Glad you could join us, THROWBACK!

Dive on in and present your questions in the subwoofer forums. Nice subs, BTW. I just had Danny's N2X audition pair here last week, listening to TCA WAF-1's that he designed right now.

·
Registered
509 Posts
My first post. I just built a three-subwoofer stack per side using the GR Research SW-12-16FR servo speakers in an open baffle design. Although the servo amps come with defeatable built-in PEQ, I find that its range is not adequate to correct the freq response curves in my room. I have a DEQ 2496 left over from an old project, but I can't figure out how to use it as a crossover/equalizer. Can anyone out there help me out?
Thanks,
Chuck
hi chuck

the deq is not a crossover. (dcx is)

it is however a powerful eq tool, almost TOO powerful for simply subs, tho that is no reason to not use it for subs of course.

You mean you don't know how to use it's eq capabilities? Well, that is a tough call to get an answer in a post!

To learn, maybe try and put it in the full range signal (much easier to hear it's effects) and just play. There are a few tricks, but might be best to wait for specific questions than try and answer everything if you follow.

There IS a good writeup on the net, I may be able to find it if I do a search..if I do I will certainly come back with it (don't wait for me mind!)

As a hint, to convert REW filters to this unit, try under the equalizer tab (one of the behringer ones listed works, can't recall which it is)..it will give Q as 0.5 (as an example) which converts in the deq to 1/2, similarly .333 is the same for the deq as 1/3 etc etc etc.

As it is powerful, there are a lot of buttons etc with different functions. Try a search and you may find good writeups, or just play and come back with questions.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, guys. I'll follow up on some of the tips. You're right, I really should have the DCX rather than the DEQ.
Cheers

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
, a quick search gave me this, have not read it but skimmed it, looks plenty good enough to get you started, seems to tell some of the tricks I referred to just before.

http://www.decdun.me.uk/deq2496.html

good luck
`
Hi Terry,
here it is April 21st 2012 and I just now found your reference article on the Behringer DEQ2496.
Just goes to show you, good info has no time limit.
The article you referenced for the DEQ2496 is an excellent "how to" primer. It's better than the users manual that comes WITH the DEQ2496.
The DEQ IS an amazing piece of equipment. I'm using it to manage my two very different subs ie: one is an TC Sounds LMS 5400 in a 6.1 cu ft sealed box and the other is a dual 21" RCF sealed sub in a 9 cu ft box. Each sub is run by one channel of the DEQ2496 and one channel of a Peavey 3000 amp.
The results are excellent!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts