Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just had an email back from behringer with regards to the switches and guess what. What they say doesn't match up with what it says in the manual. Their settings for bridged are:

Hello Graham,

I confirmed this with the other Tech Staff.

Bridge mode

3 & 10 to the left. 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 to the right
The manual says:

1,6,7,10 are to the right and 2,3,4,5,8,9 are to the left

See what I mean. I get a better more powerful sound when I set them the following:

1,2,3,4,5,6,7,9,10 to the right and 8 to the left

This way all is the same as the manual except for 8 which on input 2 the low cut filter is set to on. Figure that one out. What is right and what is wrong.

cheers

Graham

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
This was a problem on the 2500 and 1500 also they were wrong on the back of the amp so you had to use the manual. I would think that if it sounds good you got it right.:T

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes that may be right but mine is the same as the manual except for no 8 on input 2 which is reversed to what is in the manual and switched the low cut filter to ON. But the weird thing is as I am running it mono bridged into 4ohms input is not being used so why does it change the sound.

cheers

Graham

·
Registered
132 Posts
Wow Bery could not learn from their mistake with the EP2500 so the clone it to the EP4000 without even rectifying their error great R&D department Lol.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right guys, I am really having a mare with these silly mode switches for this amp. I have had several emails from behringer saying that I should have them set as the following for mono bridged mode.

1-9 to the right
10 to the left

This is nothing like the manual and when I switch no 8 to the left I get alot more bass and get pretty much nothing when it is set to the right. Also they say the gain on input 1 should be on max and the gain on input 2 should be turned all the way down. I understand input 2 should be but not input 1.

The manual states that in mono bridged mode switches 4 and 5 should be set to stereo yet behringer are saying it should be to the right which is parallel. Has anyone sorted out what switches should be set to what for mono bridged mode. I have a single speaker input on my speaker plate with just a plus and a minus which is feeding the two D1 subs wired in series to give me 4ohms hence running bridged.

Any advice would be appreciated as I going nuts! :help:

cheers

graham

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
1-R
2-R
3-R
4-L
5-L
6-L
7-L
8-R
9-R
10-R

for stereo mode.....

And for bridge mode.....

R
L
R
L
L
R
R
R
L
L

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is that how you have yours because that is different to how behringer advised me to have it.

You think it would be straight forward wouldn't you.

cheers
Graham

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
That is how mine are set and they work fine and have been for month's now. Unless they changed something in the 4000 which effects the switch positions then they should be the same.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi there,

I had mine previously set on that except I had my 2 and 9 set to the 30hz setting although it didn't matter as the frequency cut off filter is off. I was sent a really large explanation by behringer why this was. I will dig it out and put it up to show you.

cheers

graham

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I was sent a really large explanation by behringer why this was. I will dig it out and put it up to show you.

cheers

graham
That should be interesting........

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here you go...

Hello Graham,

The knobs on the front of the amp are not exactly "volume controls" as much as they are input attenuators. With the volume all the way up, you will be able to use the full power capabilities of the EP4000. For example, if the volume knob is half way up, you've basically limited the total power output capability of the amp by half. If you are going to do that, you might as well just use one channel of the power amp set to stereo mode, with the level all the way up. It would be a lot more simple that way. The knob on the front shouldn't be used as a volume control. The balance between the lows and highs should be adjusted on the crossover, while the mixer will control your overall master volume level. The only reason you wouldn't want the volume knob all the way up would be if the power amp is capable of delivering 4 or 5 times or more, of the power capabilities of the speaker load.

The manual is simply showing examples of different dipswitch combinations. What we are trying to get across to you, is how you will need the dipswitches for your application.

Dipswitches 4 & 5 stereo inputs when to the left, parallel inputs when to the right. If you are only connecting 1 input to channel 1 only (nothing connected to channel 2), then you will need this in parallel mode not stereo mode. What parallel mode will do, is basically send the input from channel 1 to both channels 1 and 2. That way, with the power amp in bridged mode, the amp can properly combine both channels to bridged mode. If the amp is in stereo mode then the signal will not be present on channel 2, and the amp cannot combine both channels together to bridged mono. The result would be a much lower volume.

Dipswitches 3 & 8 turns the low cut filter on when to the LEFT, off to the RIGHT. Make sure dipswitch 8 is off (to the right). As we stated to you before, the settings for channel 1 apply to both channels in Bridged mode. DO NOT use the limiter or filter on channel 2. The settings for channel 1 apply to both channels in Bridged mode (this includes the volume knob on the front as well). If you do have any of the filters on for channel 2 when in bridged mode, the amplifier can create inter-modulation distortion, which can cause all sorts of issues - including: distortion, uneven frequency response, lower power, ect. In other words, don't do it.

As for the clip light on at the start when in bridged mode, we can verify - this does happen, it is "normal" and there is no cause for alarm. This is merely a switching phenomenon and has no influence on the audio.

Each of the clip LEDs is driven by a comparator circuit - which takes it's "cue" from a DC voltage derived from the signal level at the respective channel input referenced against "ground".

Due to the layout of the switching matrix (the DIP switches) - when the EP4000 is switched into bridged mode it may happen that a temporary dc voltage is present at the trigger for the comparator in ch.1. Until such time as a signal is present at the input, this dc will have no means to decay through the comparator circuit. Once an input signal is applied, this part of the circuit becomes conductive again (i.e. it's normal condition) and the residual DC voltage will fall off. The clip LED will go out.

Note: Do not disconnect or reconnect the speaker cables while the amp is turned on.

In bridged mode you are combining the output power of both channels to one speaker output. The volume control knob for channel two is not used so have channel two volume all the way down. You will only be using channel one controls when in bridged mode. Make sure to have the volume for channel 1 all the way up and the volume for channel 2 turned all the way DOWN.

If you are using the SPEAKON connecter, the cable is going to need to be rewired. The cable needs to be wired +1 and +2 on one end and +1 and -1(normal) on the other. Open up the connection and rewire from +1 and -1 so that it’s connected to +1 and +2. This combines the output power of both channels of the EP2500 through this one SPEAKON speaker cable output. Have the other speakon end of this cable wired, +1 and -1. Connect your +1 and +2 wired speakon jack to channel one output of the EP2500 and the other end to the sub.

If you are using the binding post (banana) outputs, connect to the +1 and +2 (both of the red) terminals instead of +1 and -1 (channel 1) or +2 and -2 (channel 2).

We hope that we have been able to help you with this information.

Best regards, Russell

Your BEHRINGER Customer Support Team
Enjoy!

Let me know what you think.

cheers

Graham

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Well it is all good info but really not anythingthat you can't get from the manual mostly. I don't like haveing the gain controls turned all the way up as this increases the ground floor and can be noisy. I like that they spent the time to get back to you though. Good to know that they don't ignore people as some places do.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Well it is all good info but really not anythingthat you can't get from the manual mostly. I don't like haveing the gain controls turned all the way up as this increases the ground floor and can be noisy. I like that they spent the time to get back to you though. Good to know that they don't ignore people as some places do.
I want to make sure on the clip limiter setting. Like it shows in the manual, is the clip limiter on when to the right? The following is what I assume is correct after reading graham's email from behringer. So if I want bridged, withclip limiters on, and low cut filters off it would go:

right (clip lim on)
either (will have filter off anyways)
right (filter off)
right (to "combine" the signal from input 1 to input 2)
right (to "combine" the signal from input 1 to input 2)
right (bridge mode on)
right (bridge mode on)
right (low cut filter off)
either (doesn't matter with filter off)
left (clip lim off)

Also, as an EE, I do agree with them on leaving the gain on channel 1 up all the way. The way they describe, it sounds like the amp has a constant gain that you are unable to change. They are merely attenuating the input signal. The gain stage is where you are going to see any noise added to the output. If it is constant, then you only need to worry about the noise being introduced into the input. I would worry about applying more gain than necessary from your input source. If you are reducing the input signal level with the ep2500 through attenuation, and having to apply more gain from your input source then you are fighting yourself and introducing more noise than necessary.

The only reason I would see to have the ep2500 anywhere other than all the way to the right would be if your input source level is very high and non-adjustable. The attenuators on the ep2500 would allow you to reduce that input level so not to clip the amp or cause speaker damage.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I cant get to the amp now but I believe the silkscreen image on the back of the amp on the right hand side is correct and the manual is wrong. As far as the gain I have my amp going through a Samson S-convert and then to my SMS-1 and then to my sub. If I turn my gain up all the way on the amp and the gain on the Samson up also I cannot get the volume of the sub which is controlled by the SMS to go low enough to calibrate correctly. I find that with the gain at 3/4 on the amp I have more volume control with the SMS, if that makes sense, I don't know, but it seems to work well for me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts