Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my research I have realized that the information for this commonly used amp is all over the place.
I thought, perhaps niavely, that the experienced guys could fill this thread with the common connections/set-ups for this amp.
Discussing any mods that are commonly done, like the fan mods, filters, etc.

A novice/beginner can be easily overcome by all the information and not be able to make heads or tails of it.

Perhaps this thread can be a sort of FAQ or User Guide. One can include parts names and possibly where to find them.

Thanks to anyone in advance who is so kind as to offer their help and knowledge on this amp. :)

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
I am not familiar with any filters, but the fan mod has a Sticky Thread that is very easy to understand, no reason to be repetitive.

Other that the fan mod, I am not aware of any other parts you need. You need cables, but those will depend on what other equipment will be connected, which varies from setup to setup.

As far as the settings on the amp and the speaker connections, again this is not across the board... it varies depending on your setup.

You already know what cables you need from your other thread, what specifically do you need to know about the amp?

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Well, for one there is a filter that chooses to cut off at either 30Hz or 50Hz....how do I disable that?
Also, although I was told what I needed, I think, I didn't understand and felt like a moron asking for further instruction. :(
Perhaps someone who has the experience doesn't feel this is worthy or common knowledge, but from the side of the beginner let me tell you it can be daunting the first time around....certainly not buy the sub, get it shipped, unpack it, turn it on.(commercial)

·
Registered
393 Posts
Asking for clarification is not a sign of being a moron. Pushing on blindly without understanding is.

From the AVR -> EQ, you'll use an RCA - RCA cable. You should be able to plug into the left channel of the EQ, that should be a mono input, but you'll want to read the manual for the EQ.

From the EQ -> Amp, you said the EQ had RCA out, so you'll need an RCA cable whatever length required, then the RCA - TS adapter. You can find those at Rat Shack, or if you have a Guitar Center or similar, they should have one too. Can someone else verify that the TS connector will work the way I think it will in this application?

As far as the HPF at 30 or 50Hz, the amp's manual should tell you how to disable it. I have never had one of these amps at hand, so I haven't any direct experience, but I remember seeing pictures of little DIP switch banks on the back. I also remember reading that the markings on the back of the amp are backward. I suggest experimentation once you get it all hooked up. You should be able to easily tell by ear if you have a HPF set at 50Hz. Run a 25Hz tone thru, then switch the switch. You'll know if the high pass filter is in or out. The 30Hz switch should behave similarly.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help!
If you don't understand almost whole kit and kaboodle you can read instructions until your dead and not understand a thing...or at least that's how I am.
Always been a visual/hands-on learner, but with this equipment I don't want to destroy anything the first day. :)

·
Registered
393 Posts
This from Elemental Design's web site on your eQ.2 unit:
Mono or Stereo Input The eQ.2 is a auto summing design. You can use the outputs from a stereo source or mono source to give the eQ.2 the signal you'd like to correct.
So a cable with RCA on both ends will work for that. Just connect the LFE out on the back of your AVR to the left input on the eQ.2.

The RCA -> XLR adapter should work for the connection from the eQ2 to the amp. You just need another cable with RCA on both ends to hook between the EQ and adapter.

As far as destroying stuff, I wouldn't sweat it too much. Keep the gain low until you're sure everything is working the way you expect. I think you'll be surprised how little gain you need on the amp to get impressive results.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
I guess I actually am familiar with the filters after all... :duh:

Note that the silkscreen on the rear switches is in error compared to the manual and cartoon on the rear... or they use to be. They may not be anymore, but go with the manual and cartoon to make sure.

The cartoon says that to turn OFF the low cut filter, the switch is to the right, but the silkscreen on the switch itself says the right is ON.

Maybe they have fixed that error by now.

How many drivers are you using and what configuration? Single or dual 2 ohm or 4 ohm?

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For now one Tempest-X.(dual 8-ohm)
So one channel of the amp I'm guessing.
24" cube.
Down the road it will be two, either sealed or ported...depending on what I feel about this single one sealed.

What do you mean by "The Cartoon"?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Sonnie means the diagram/drawing in the manual showing the switches and their functions that's in the manual. The one silkscreened on the back of the amp was and still may be backward.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was told privately that the XLR adapter needs to be wired in a specific way as to make sure this no ground loop hum, which I currently get a nasty bit of using a RCA to TS from my pc to avr.....never knew that was why I got some aweful sounds and feedback and noise all the time.
So he offered to build me one as he sent me a schematic and it was completely foreign to me.

·
Registered
393 Posts
If possible, fixing the ground loop would be better. I don't know if that adapter comes apart, if so, you could go in and cut the shield wire.

Edit: should have said "eliminating" instead of fixing.

·
Registered
393 Posts
There's a great thread about fixing the hum by lifting the ground or by (best solution) fixing the ground loop here.

What I got out of skimming the thread was that the incoming cable (satellite or cable co.) connection is the most likely culprit. You may need to do some snooping around outside the house or in/near your electrical service panel.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Sonnie means the diagram/drawing in the manual showing the switches and their functions that's in the manual. The one silkscreened on the back of the amp was and still may be backward.
The On and Off lable around the DIP switches are wrong but the diagram next to the speaker terminals on the rear of the amp are right. Just dont go by whats labled around the DIP switches themself.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts