Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello morning there. Okay I’ll cut straight the chase shall I?

I have an RTA analyzer a basic model that has range from 25Hz 40Hz 63Hz 100Hz 160Hz 250Hz 500Hz 1 KHz 2 KHz 4 KHz 8 KHz 16 KHz.

I’m using this with Behringer ECM8000 microphone and M100 preamplifier.

Sub bass is an 18” JBL professional and the simplest of questions I’m looking for is…

What specific filter (bandwidth) should be used on the FBQ2496 that is described in figures on the display panel as shown?

Nothing much happens between when I use figures
1/60 1
1/60 2
1/60 2
1/60 3
1/60 4
1/60 5

That is until I get to these figures

I can hear the difference between the tone getting louder (which I assume is filter bandwidth) getting wider and then vice verse where the (bandwidth is getting narrower).

Also I’ve read the user’s manual:reading: over and over and over and over again and there is no reference as to what the shape of the filter looks like in relation to the bandwidth numbers? :scratch:

Since there is no visual representation to show what the shape of the filter is, I’, wondering if anyone here knows that information as this would be huge benefit in getting the EQ done (manually) as apposed to (auto) with (computer software).

I’ll be standing by for a response as I would like to get this done today.

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Just download REW for free and select the FBQ2496 equalizer (and the filter panel) and play with the filters to see their shape. (example below).

Or simply use REW to measure and do it all for you (including RTA duties).

rew graph.jpg

brucek

·
Banned
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Whoa that was fast response thanks.

So I don’t have to plug this into the BFQ2496, like you said just go to the page and tinker around with the settings, is that to help me, get a general idea on the shape of the filters bandwidth?

Again thanks.:T

·
Banned
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’ve just looked up and down the link you provided but I’m afraid its amounts to a, needle in haystack, is what u have here, can you please provide direct link to specific article please.

Thanks.

·
Banned
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I’ve just gone ahead and installed Java and followed with Room EQ but when click on EQ and thou I haven’t made up lead as of yet with (smaller phone plug) to patch into the computer that would allow me to use ECM800 MIC100, I think I’ve (installed) the wrong, program as it says (DSP1124P) which is the first model they produced.

Or is there a button that selects between the two models DSP1124P and FBQ2496?

Thanks.

·
Banned
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I’ve patched up an already made lead (XLR to small phone plug) to the MIC100. I’ve played a sine wave sweep from (dts calibration and set-up disc) (track 14 sine wave sweep from 10Hz to 20 KHz) but stopping somewhere between the lower frequency register, I’ve noticed the gain meters are working on the Wizard which is good sign.

So how would I go about the simple task of recoding the (sine wave frequency sweep) for the sub bass only is there a recoding button?:scratch:

Thanks.

·
Banned
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm, most interesting, most interesting, indeed. I like the way the Wizard can adjust the filter bandwidth) and no I haven’t been able to produce anything productive as yet and soon as I can figure this out with hands on time and I guess I’ll have to remain patient, until I’ve gotten more conference with rather fancy novel device, it’s funky.:yay:

I’ve sorted out the EQ under Equliser and selected the correct mode for the type of Behringer BFQ2496 that I’m using. So would it be just easier for me, to buy a lead to patch between the Behringer BFQ2496 a (MIDI) lead and if I’m not too mistaken I would need a little black box to patch between the (pc) to allow the MIDI lead to function between the Behringer BFQ2496.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
Spending some time browsing the REW help files is highly recommended :) either in the program itself or online

REW can program filter settings for you over Midi, as explained in the (you guessed it ;)) help files.

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Or is there a button that selects between the two models DSP1124P and FBQ2496?
Yes, the equalizer pull down allows you to select many types of equalizers (including the FBQ2496).

Here's an REW setup diagram for cabling and connections. Also reading the REW help files is recommended.

brucek

·
Banned
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheers for that links and online forum support, I’ll go though it.

Thanks.:T

·
Banned
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I’ve managed to get the connecting between using the (REW) Room EQ Wizard, and have conducted a few frequency sweeps has well as saving the, well Mr. REW does that for you, kinder like house butler, LOL.

I guess you need to post up to ten posts or more before URL is allowed so, I’ll try and get up to ten or more then show three different frequency sweeps that I have done in the past hour.

Thanks.

·
Banned
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay I’ve sent print screen captures to (Photobucket) and hopefully the URL will now allow me to post my findings and I have no doubt you seen many like this before.

And by the way the weather is gorgeous over hare at the moment nice and warm, looks like the jolly ole British summer is now here.:yay:

Thanks.

·
Banned
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Test as done at 10 feet to the present listening area where the sofa is, ECM8000 was positioned behind and slightly over the back of the sofa, at ear height.

What I have done here is taken three frequency sweeps with (REW) Room EQ Wizard, the first one is with all three ports on JBL4645 18” sub as is.

Second frequency sweep is with one port hole plugged up, and as you can see there is mild difference between the, first frequency sweep.

Third frequency sweep is with two port holes plugged up, and as you can see again there is difference.

So am I winning or not LOL.:dontknow:

Thanks.

·
Banned
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I’ve done a few more tests as well as a few guess works on the signal level calibration on the (FBQ2496). I took a reading with RTA my standard basic RTA and placed the ECM8000 1m away from the JBL sub and played some wideband pink noise from the dts calibration disc track 14 and slotted in a few filters where I saw the peak.

Filters used are
25.1Hz
+2db

40.3Hz
-23db

Now is this right is it wrong, it all seems to be trail and error and it kinder looks right to me, so far.

The first sweep wasn’t showing up to well, according to REW (Room EQ Wizard) and I forgot to add a little amplifier power, so I did a second frequency sweep test.

Thanks.

Final frequency sweep was with ECM8000 placed back at seating position.

First frequency sweep test

Second frequency sweep test

·
Banned
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Anyway since I’m mostly shooting in the dark, with a little (guessing here and there) I’ll fix the frequencies between just where 40Hz starts to drop off at and get a even line as possible up to around 120Hz which is where the LFE.1 starts to drop off at.

Again thanks for the forum support early this afternoon, this is a rather (beneficial device) and thou I would prefer a straight forward barograph display of the frequencies, you know the one with vertical straight lines, no matter I’m kinder getting use to the one REW Room EQ Wizard.

Thanks.:T

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Note:

The standard graph axis for vertical to use with REW is 45dB-105dB with a 75dB target.

The standard horizontal axis for a sub is from 15Hz to 200hz with a sweep from 0 to 200Hz. :)

Using these axis will allow everyone to compare much easier.....

brucek

·
Banned
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Note:

The standard graph axis for vertical to use with REW is 45dB-105dB with a 75dB target.

The standard horizontal axis for a sub is from 15Hz to 200hz with a sweep from 0 to 200Hz. :)

Using these axis will allow everyone to compare much easier.....

brucek
Hello there, I think I follow what you’re saying – so you’re saying I have two choices between how I should address the EQ with (REW). So where’s the horizontal and vertical button, as I’m still new to this device.

Thanks.

·
Banned
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
One thing I’ve noticed is when conducting (sound check before frequency sweep) is that the sound check is never the same twice when repeating the test in the same position. That is the level is too low or it’s okay. Now is there a reason for this?

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
So where’s the horizontal and vertical button, as I’m still new to this device
Graph Limits button icon in the top right corner. See REW HELP FILES

so you’re saying I have two choices between how I should address the EQ with (REW).
I don't really understand your question. Those are vertical and horizontal graph axis values that are a standard.

is that the sound check is never the same twice when repeating the test in the same position
It should be unless you've modified your setup, within a few dB.

brucek

·
Banned
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Unless of course I’ve assumed I’m looking at the correct field setting. So let’s assume I’m looking at the wrong field setting “graph” so what should it look like.

Also I should I set-up the “graph” felid settings. What should there vales be set at?

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts