Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

381 - 400 of 425 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
wow, behringer really screwed up the design of this one! the NU3000DSP has much better cooling since the large heatsinkes are right out in the open. I wonder why they stuffed them under the PCB ?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I am considering iNuke3000 or 6000 amp but leaning towards 3000 to run two IXL18 MK2 subs in 4 cuft sealed boxes. They are rated at 4 ohms with 800watts RMS. Not sure if iNuke amps are rated as peak power or RMS power. With 3000 I figured I can just change the fan & get some heatsinks. Not sure if fan swap will be enough to cool the 6000. The amp will be located in the theater room.

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #383 (Edited)
I am considering iNuke3000 or 6000 amp but leaning towards 3000 to run two IXL18 MK2 subs in 4 cuft sealed boxes. They are rated at 4 ohms with 800watts RMS. Not sure if iNuke amps are rated as peak power or RMS power. With 3000 I figured I can just change the fan & get some heatsinks. Not sure if fan swap will be enough to cool the 6000. The amp will be located in the theater room.
NU3000 test mentioned here:
http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/subwoofer-amps-high-pass-filters/37864-behringer-inuke-class-d-amps-nu1000-nu1000dsp-nu3000-nu3000dsp-nu6000-nu6000dsp-nu4-6000-a-14.html#post493627

So in reality it's 2 x 600 RMS @ 4ohm, but only for 3 seconds, after which it drops to 2 x 375 Watt.

I believe the NU6000 does twice that (as it is little more than two NU3000 in one box anyway).

Quote from iST:
Take advantage of the 24mm linear one-way throw the IXL-18 Mk 2 offers by mating it with an amplifier capable of producing 800-1000 watts RMS.

Hence the NU6000 would be recommended. It uses two fans BTW.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Guess I will go with iNuke 6000 but wondering if fans swap is going to be enough to cool the amp adequately. Good thing is that it does not have a shroud to mess around with like 3000.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a couple SI 18D4s, each in a 4ft3 sealed box, powered by a bridged Inuke 3000DSP. Everything looks good except my over excursion at 3hz. My question is would the natural roll-off below 10hz be enough to prevent over excursion?

I know I can create a 10hz HPF if needed but I would rather not if it isn't needed. I have modeled a HPF @ 2hz and everything was within limits...which is why I'm hoping the natural roll off will be enough.

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
In the process of building a 12" ported sub with plans to add another if needed and plan to use the iNuke 1000 to power them. I have existing RCA cable runs for my current 2 small powered sub's. I think I've got the connections from my AVR to the iNuke all figured out but am a bit confused as to what my options are at the sub box itself. I'm thinking that a flanged panel mount RCA jack will be the ticket but am not sure. Any guidance or advice is needed and will be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
In the process of building a 12" ported sub with plans to add another if needed and plan to use the iNuke 1000 to power them. I have existing RCA cable runs for my current 2 small powered sub's. I think I've got the connections from my AVR to the iNuke all figured out but am a bit confused as to what my options are at the sub box itself. I'm thinking that a flanged panel mount RCA jack will be the ticket but am not sure. Any guidance or advice is needed and will be greatly appreciated.
You will be sending high current from your iNuke so cable needs speakon (sp) at the amp side and banana plug to a binding plate at the speaker side. I get a 2 post circle binding plate from parts express, while you are cutting you front baffle holes for driver and ports with your router/jig cut hole for binding plate on rear.
Just know where your braces are.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hey guys I recently bought a nu3000dsp and have been messing around with the fan and have been posting my experiences in Behringer iNuke Fan sticky at the top of this forum starting at #111........maybe it should have been in this thread instead......not sure.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I been looking for this type of information. i have never used a pro amp for HT sub build yet. Working on the build now. I'm really interested in the NU3000 and i'm sure everyone will recomend Dsp version. I want it to power a single 18 in a massive slot ported box. One thing i been noticing is that ohm rating low is 4ohm on the pro amps. that will make a difference on sub i get.
Great info everyone, it helps a nebie to pro audio equipitment.

·
Super Moderator
1,921 Posts
NU3000 / NU3000DSP Bench Test

Not sure if it was posted before, but here is a NU3000 review again. The detailed review of the NU3000 includes bench test power ratings, which claims it is comparable to a Peavey IPR1600 which is also Class D. The only negatives about the amp are its plastic front, loud fan, and limited rear panel connections. The short term power ratings are conservative, but protection circuits limit continuous operation at high levels. I'd guess the limits on 2 ohm operation are from the power supply, not the output stage. It sounds like for extreme duty 4 ohm loads would be best in the long term. The amp is 90% (very) efficient.

With the DSP HPF off it is -2dB at 10Hz so it is good for low reaching HT subs. The DSP has HPF has settings of Off and >20Hz.

Repeating 20ms bursts @ 1kHz
2Ω: 2x 1700W 3sec, then 2x 900W
4Ω: 59V, 2x 870W
8Ω: 61V, 2x 465W

1% THD+N, Continuous:
2Ω: 2x 1176W
4Ω: 2x 600W
8Ω: 2x 312W

Limiter Operation:
2Ω: 5sec then shutdown
4Ω: 3sec
8Ω: --

Attachments

·
Registered
272 Posts
It isn't mentioned whether the amp has frequency response down to 15 or even 10Hz (for HT use). Does anybody know?

Is it possible to set a HPF lets say from 12Hz upwards through the software for cone excursion pretection?

·
Super Moderator
1,921 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
@Fusseli
Thank you, didnt see it :)

I think the maximum peak(no continious rms power) power of the inuke dsp series, the nu6000dsp that is, can be taken from the maximum limiter value that csn be set from the software. Just downloaded it from behringer.com and max value for the limiter is 1250W or 100Vp on 4 Ohm load for both channels (or 2x 625W which is 100Vp on 8 Ohm)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hi guys, I recently purchased the NU6000 for my single 4 ohm sub. Got it hooked up to channel A and works well, but I had a question regarding the 2 switches on the back. First one is the stereo / mono switch. What should I have this on if I'm only using one channel?

The other switch is the crossover. Should I have this on full range or switched to the other side? I'm under the impression that when switched to the other side, channel B gets frequencies from 100hz and below.

Now if I'm using my crossover on my AVR for my sub at 80hz... does this matter? If I were to switch it on I'm assuming I'd have to use channel B for my sub.

What should I do?

Thanks (and sorry if this has been covered already)

·
Registered
334 Posts
Hey fellas just wanted a though here since this is iNuke related.

2 Stereo Integrity D2's wired @ 4 ohms in a 6 cubic foot ported box - iNuke 3000 DSP or iNuke 600 DSP?

Prefer to go with the 3000 DSP for cost, but if the 6000 DSP is worth the extra I may do it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I assume you are using a single amp channel per driver? You won't be able to get a 4 ohm load with two of those drivers wired together (you may know this, but your post was a little unclear).

I have the NU6000 with each channel feeding a single D2 wired to 4 ohms. I have been contemplating getting two more, to make two dual front facing boxes, but then I'm stuck with either a 2 ohm load or an 8 ohm load (or 0.5 haha). The 8 ohm load would ~halve the power, negating the doubling of drivers, and the iNuke won't be happy with 2 ohms.

In any case, the NU6K is more than enough in my current application.

Hey fellas just wanted a though here since this is iNuke related.

2 Stereo Integrity D2's wired @ 4 ohms in a 6 cubic foot ported box - iNuke 3000 DSP or iNuke 600 DSP?

Prefer to go with the 3000 DSP for cost, but if the 6000 DSP is worth the extra I may do it.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I assume you are using a single amp channel per driver? You won't be able to get a 4 ohm load with two of those drivers wired together (you may know this, but your post was a little unclear).

I have the NU6000 with each channel feeding a single D2 wired to 4 ohms. I have been contemplating getting two more, to make two dual front facing boxes, but then I'm stuck with either a 2 ohm load or an 8 ohm load (or 0.5 haha). The 8 ohm load would ~halve the power, negating the doubling of drivers, and the iNuke won't be happy with 2 ohms.

In any case, the NU6K is more than enough in my current application.
Yes, each sub takes its own channel of the iNuke 3000. Each single D2 can be wired to be a 4 ohm load correct (2 + 2), and each D4 can be wired to be a 2 ohm load (4/2).

Is my math right here?

381 - 400 of 425 Posts