Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

101 - 120 of 425 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
ok well bit of a "initial impression" sort of thing over a review. I've got the flu but went to my dads to least help setup the basic stuff for him. update the receiver firmware, bluray player, ect.

So we got the inuke3000dsp for reference.

So initial look and feel impressions....this thing is light and small. About the same size widthx length as the panasonic 210 bluray player. Twice the hight though. The orange color didnt seem to bad though this is daytime. There was an option for changing the "contrast" on at least the lcd portion. not sure how low it would go or if it effects all the leds or not. Didnt play with it much. The fan is loud but not as bad as my ep4000 that i remember. Still going to need to find a solution for it though. For reference it Sounded as loud as when the panasonic 210 BR player was first loading a disc...that was about how loud the unit was all the time. I didnt think it felt cheap or plasticy at all. Rather nicely built IMO.

The DSP portion.

First - hooking to a pc. Couldnt be easier. We had my dads windows vista laptop. Downloaded and fired up the remote software. Then hooked it up via usb and the included usb cable. Took about 2 minutes (windows scanning hardware ) and the remote software detected the unit. The remote software is super easy to use. Not much to say as if you are curious you can download it to try. As for loading settings to the unit...its a matter of just clicking "load". The inuke lcd will flash something to show it received the settings. but i cant remember what it says and it literally took 1-2 seconds to load the settings. Also of note the graphs show what each thing will do. like butterworth HPF. You can select it and see how a 48db curve looks compared to a 6db curve. Just a nice feature to be able to see it as you change.

As for just using the inuke controls....its pretty simple. There is an option for changing the eq side of things (like crossover/peq/ect) and also a generic setup option. The nnice part is the generic portion lets you change profiles and contrast. So you can easily switch profiles without having to dig around a larger menu. The peq/ect side is pretty easy to use but harder to be exact. Nice for changing some things like bridged/mon/stereo or simply bumping one option. but i wouldnt want to configure a whole profile using the lcd. For quick profile changes or quick xover changes it works well and is simple to use.

Switching between mono/stero/bridged/biamp is super easy as well. Either do it via remote software or on the uinit you can quickly change it as well. nice to not have to worry about pin selectors like my ep4000.

Very simple to use the remote software....my dad even did basics like change the HPF and LPF. The plug and play is very nice as well. The lcd works ok for more on the fly changes after initial changes. Also i can confirm this 100% but there were 20 slots for profiles. however 1 was already named initial (ie defult) and it wouldnt let me save to it. Not a big deal as there 19 other slots for profiles and we need 1 or 2 at the most. but something i thought id throw out there.

As for actual use....well we had a snafu here. For some reason we werent getting nay output out of the inuke. not sure if it was a connector issue, unit issue, receiver issue or what. But there was nothing going to the sub. we only had a 2 pole speakon connector so not sure if that might have been an issue. Either way i started feeling poorly and called it quits without diving in more than a simple yep the connections look right. Kind of disappointed on that but the rest of my dads stuff is set up. Probably head back sunday if i feel better and figure out the last part. im sure its something simple but when you are sick even driving to the parents house can be difficult :)

Overall im impressed. once we figure out my dads im definitely considering selling the eq.2 and ep4000 for my own inuke3000dsp

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'd be interested in seeing if they put out the same power. There is a lot of doubt in these light weight amps.
im curious as well. Wish I'd been able to spend more time with it. I cant get actual numbers but can just compare SPL readings since we had it hooked up to the ep4000 and i took measurements then

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
I'd be interested in seeing if they put out the same power. There is a lot of doubt in these light weight amps.
It's class-D. No heavy power supply is needed. It doesn't use much electricity anyway.

·
Registered
77 Posts
That will be just as good. Thanks
well first the warnings of sorts.

My ep4000 was used like this

My Setup
onkyo 607 (sub trim at ~ -7.0db) --->eq.2 (gain on max) --->samson s convert (gain on max) --> ep4000 (single channel....set to max)) --> tempest-x 15" driver (4ohm)

we also had my dads ixl hooked up to channel 2 of my ep4000 with the same setup.

My dads setup now goes

onkyo RC370 (sub trim ~ -8.0db) ---> samson s convert (had it at max and between zero and max in the middle) ---> inuke 3000dsp (only have it ~50%....with the dsp set only for a 20hz HPF and 120LPF) ---> mach 5 audio IXL 18.2.2 18" driver (4ohm)

Ok so all i can really tell you is what we heard/noticed (i forgot my spl meter). Right off the bat we ran the multieq xt of the rc370. it asks for a sub and then wants you to set the level to "75db". To do that we had to set the inuke at the absolute minimum and it still was reading 79db Oo. When we had it at the ~50% power setting the mic reported 98db. Not sure at all how accurate the onkyo audyssy mic is but seemed like it made sense. Wish i'd had my radioshack meter though (thats the next step when i go over). of course multieq sets the subs way to quiet for us (well it actually set trim level to +3db but we added more power and lowered it to -8db)

So we fired up master and Commander to the first cannon battle scene. Witht he power set to 50% it sounded nice. Very similar to the ep4000 on max. But alas we cant stop there! So we maxed the power and rewatched the scene. Wow it sounded terrible! Only because the port on the sub was making WAAAAYYYYY to much noise and ruined the sound basically. Not something we had experienced with the ep4000 before with my sub or my dads (single channel wise). What exactly does that mean? Well it means the driver is getting more power than it was with the ep4000 which means the port moves more air which just sounds like poop on my dads sub. Might have to try blocking the port and going for a "sealed" build instead.

So what i've noticed in a more "hands on not actual measuring" experience -

It seems like single channel the inuke might actually output more power than the ep4000. but that IS NOT CONFIRMED in any way. Just a comparison by sounds. Like i said all i can compare it to is how it sounded maxed out on a single channel of an ep4000 vs single channel of the inuke.

*of note it also could have to do with the old setup as well. Could be the 607, or eq.2 effected it as well.

Anyways theres my little impression of it. hopefully someone more experienced can do a bit more digging into it.

o yeah as for the fan. Like so many other things its not to bad when the movie is actually playing (ie the cannon firing) but is a bit annoying during quiet scenes. nothing terrible and you could get used to it but a fan replacement is definitely in order. Same sort of deal as the ep4000 to be honest....ya could live with it but why would ya :)

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
It may also mean that the new amps distort more when pushed hard. Its not uncommon for a company to add features to an amp and then cut a few corners with the amplification. Was the port noise chuffing, or was it resonance. Is is possible your getting high distortion levels from the amp that is being transmitted through the driver and being amplified by the port to make matters worse?

·
Registered
77 Posts
It may also mean that the new amps distort more when pushed hard. Its not uncommon for a company to add features to an amp and then cut a few corners with the amplification. Was the port noise chuffing, or was it resonance. Is is possible your getting high distortion levels from the amp that is being transmitted through the driver and being amplified by the port to make matters worse?
+

not sure exactly what ya mean. I know its the port And im pretty sure it was just the airspeed was way to fast. I could definitely feel it moving fats out of the port if i put my hand back there. Vs my tempest-x2 where when i put my hand back there and there isnt that much air movement.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
My dads setup now goes

onkyo RC370 (sub trim ~ -8.0db) ---> samson s convert (had it at max and between zero and max in the middle) ---> inuke 3000dsp (only have it ~50%....with the dsp set only for a 20hz HPF and 120LPF) ---> mach 5 audio IXL 18.2.2 18" driver (4ohm)
Not sure what you mean about the way you have the s-convert set but did you try turning that down lower? I found with my setup I had the same problem but found that leaving the reciever and amp levels up and then turning down the s-convert to 75db reading on my SPL meter worked best for me. I am running the EP4000 not the Inuke.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Not sure what you mean about the way you have the s-convert set but did you try turning that down lower? I found with my setup I had the same problem but found that leaving the reciever and amp levels up and then turning down the s-convert to 75db reading on my SPL meter worked best for me. I am running the EP4000 not the Inuke.

yeah we played a bit with the s convert and found it wasnt really changing much between "max" (+10?) and more like +5 (more like 2-3 o clock position vs the 5-6 o clock position). but definitely somethign ill remember to try out next time i head over there. I know with my onkyo 607 and e4000 it makes a difference in position but it wasnt seeming to make much difference on the onkyo rc370 setup

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Really? That sounds strange because I can adjust my spl from the s-convert to produce either no sound or over 100db plus and anywhere in between.:dontknow:

·
Registered
77 Posts
o im sure it changed it a bit. ill need to actually have a meter though. I know my tempest-x changing it definitely changes the output and is noticeable. With the inuke it didnt seem as noticeable though. granted the "testing" was all of a minute. Added it to the list of more things ot play with when i go back over though :)

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Well good luck and let us know how it goes. Sometimes it takes allot of tweaking to get it right. :T

·
Registered
131 Posts
I've always wondered with people who run pro amps, Do you have to go and turn on the amp every time you want to use it? Does it have an auto on mode?

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
You do have to turn them on or off yourself. I do believe you can get adapter though that will give you a remote on off function for sockets, which would give you remote powering of a pro amp, but also another remote to having lying about.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I've always wondered with people who run pro amps, Do you have to go and turn on the amp every time you want to use it? Does it have an auto on mode?
I use x-10 appliance modules and an I/R to x-10 converter. I have 4 pro amps and and an emotiva for the LCR that I have addressed differently. My AVR is onkyo which is why the emo is on x-10. For normal tv watching the emo and 1 pro come on, if I watch bluray or listen to music I have all on. My harmony one is programmed to do it all.

I also have a whole house fan that is on x-10, this way I do not have to walk upstairs to turn it on/off. My harmony does it. The x-10 wall switch is just like the rest, it is decora and you can not tell the difference between it and the regular light switches.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I have all my pro amps hooked up to my power conditioner and all I do is have them in the switched outlets and when I turn on my power center it first turns on my reciever and then on a 10 second delay turns on my amps. Easy.:T

101 - 120 of 425 Posts