Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

81 - 100 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hi, I am the original (?) "no fan" guy (NU3000). I did use stick-on heat sinks suggested here or maybe the other place. Also put two on the 2 other heat sinks near power cord entry. Interesting question why Behringer doesn't make the mods themself. Probably would add a cost to what already must be a razor-thin profit margin. I also forgot to mention a "redneck" option for putting holes in the cover: use it for target practice! Yes, I have considered this but probably won't because it is illegal to discharge (but not own) a gun where I live. Also I'm not sure of the re-sale value of an amp with a lid that looks like a prop from a Terminator movie :)

·
Registered
922 Posts
stan ding... I agree ... I doubt behringer reads these forums though! I overall think they designed these for pro set ups. where a quiet unit does not matter. they probably did not design for HT use. I bet they have sold more of these to HT people though.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I quickly connected my PC and updated the firmware and played around a little with the SP software. It's pretty straightforward.
I connected it to my PC and used the SP software to configure the amp successfully. However, I don't see an option to update the firmware? How did you do that?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Here is the link, I have not done it myself.

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/NU1000DSP.aspx

Down at the bottom look at the downloads TAB
Done on my 3000DSP, many thanks! Easy!

"*To update the iNUKE DSP Amplifiers press SETUP while switching the unit on and run the iNUKEusbupdate_V1-1.exe."

Question: does the iNuke automatically load the last used profile upon starting up? I assume so, right?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Hi, I just bought a used Behringer nu3000dsp and want to do this fan mod but have a question or 2..

1. Was the Shroud left out??
2. did you leave the fan protector on the back out as well??
3. did we decide if using the little heatsinks would help or are they needed if you take the shroud out??

·
Registered
278 Posts
Hi fschris,

I was wondering how it sounds db wise?? Do you use your Amp for Home Theater use?? I have the amp right in my HT room next to the couch so it being quiet is a must especially during those quiet scenes..

looks good but could I remove the shroud now without the heatsinks for a bit?? I have them on order. Still waitng to get the fan..

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hi! As I received email, I felt honored to reply :)

I am the "no fan" person. For my NU3000, I have never tried leaving the shroud on. I say "no". As for the protector (fan grille?) I left mine off, but probably would not impede airflow to leave it in. Are heatsinks necessary? Again, probably no, but they can't hurt as far as I know. My guess: if you are using a quiet fan, you probably want to keep the shroud.

FWIW, I have been experimenting with a NU6000. This is a quite different board. Heatsinks are under the board, as I was told, and you can't use stick-on GPU heatsinks. Easier to "no fan" mod: you just remove cover and unplug the plug to the two fans. Curious: the amp will "thermal" even with lid off, if it is set flat on a shelf ("normal"). I get adequate cooling by having the amp on floor, on its left side (still cover off). Not yet tried: putting the cover on.

"There's no fan like no fan!"

·
Registered
278 Posts
with a noctua fan it is silent or near silent even when its getting hammered.its in my HT as well.
Well I took the shroud off and the rear cover it made it a little bit quieter but I am still using the stock fan.. I will have to wait till payday to get the noctua..

But I am still pondering a NO Fan Mod.. I figure once I get the heatsinks I should be able to run without a fan??

·
Registered
80 Posts
Nephilim, you do know that if you mod it to fanless it will greatly decrease the maximum amount of power the amp can deliver. I don't have lab specs, but my NU3000 fanless could drive two pair of Bose 901 II very loud, but would sometimes thermal shutdown with bass heavy music. :foottap:

·
Registered
278 Posts
OK Looks to be like keeping the fan but I am going to replace it with the Noctua one and some heatsinks I bought. I do NOT want to suffer from thermal shutdown..

I did take out the shroud and the rear cover which helped a little but not a whole lot..

·
Registered
278 Posts
Nephilim, you do know that if you mod it to fanless it will greatly decrease the maximum amount of power the amp can deliver. I don't have lab specs, but my NU3000 fanless could drive two pair of Bose 901 II very loud, but would sometimes thermal shutdown with bass heavy music. :foottap:

Even if I put Heatsinks on those mosfets?? that should keep them plenty cool but that fan in the above post should do if I can't go Fanless..

·
Registered
278 Posts
Well I installed the Heatsinks today and disconnected the fan.. I don't think that is a good Idea.. altho I did NOt have a thermal shutdown it did get pretty hot.. I guess if I had driven it hard with some more heavy bass music it just might have shutdown.

I plugged the fan back in and even thos it is noisey, it kept the case cooler then with the fan off..not sure I want to risk killing my amp so soon.. hehe!! ;)

I will get the Noctua fan when soon I just have to transfer some paypal cash to my bank..

EDIT: I just ordered the Noctua Fan., I can NOT wait till I can't hear it HeHe.. ;)

·
Registered
278 Posts
Well I installed the Noctua Fan in yesterday it is soe much more quiet.. I was going to check the db level but forgot. I think this mod will do..

I also want to point out you need to use the old plug on the old fan as the Noctuas plug is too bit and fits real loosly..I would reccoemnd just snipping off the old plug and putting it in the noctua fan.. but make sure the fan works before snipping the plug..

81 - 100 of 138 Posts