Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi there,

I want to buy an hpf this week but am torn between the two. I have also looked at the Behringer DCX2496. I am looking for some advice. Would the DCX2496 replace my current BFD so that I can just use one device. It is more expensive than the two others mentioned but is it worth the extra and save me with cabling.

Also I need a hpf set at 12hz with a 4th order. I have two FI Q18 slot ported subs tuned to 13.5hz in 311 litres enclosures each. I want to run to REW sweeps to see what I can get out of them and my current setup exceeds max excurson at 11.5hz at full power. So I want to get a hpf just to protect them for this reason. Also to be able to play bassotronics at reference if I choose.

cheers

Graham

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Hi there,

I want to buy an hpf this week but am torn between the two. I have also looked at the Behringer DCX2496. I am looking for some advice. Would the DCX2496 replace my current BFD so that I can just use one device. It is more expensive than the two others mentioned but is it worth the extra and save me with cabling.

Also I need a hpf set at 12hz with a 4th order. I have two FI Q18 slot ported subs tuned to 13.5hz in 311 litres enclosures each. I want to run to REW sweeps to see what I can get out of them and my current setup exceeds max excurson at 11.5hz at full power. So I want to get a hpf just to protect them for this reason. Also to be able to play bassotronics at reference if I choose.

cheers

Graham
I know of no device that delivers a true 12hz 4th order filter. Even the Reckhorn is limited by it's roll-off. Furthermore there is no need to filter that low IMO.

The DCX2496 is one of the best loudspeaker management devices out there, but it won't filter below 20hz.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The main problem is when I play bassotronics which I do quite alot, more for fun really, I get alot of excursion even at -25db volume on the onkyo and I know that I would not be able to run anywhere near reference without a hpf. I can play a 15hz or even a 12.5hz tone at extreme levels but at 10 without a hpf at full power I am at 58mm of excursion. I am guessing that with the Q's there are 27mm of one way excursion so that adds up to 54mm so am I correct in saying what I am only over by 4mm full excursion.

Winisd is showing me that at full power I am at 108db at 10hz for one sub at full power. Obviously I know that the EP4000 probably isnt running 1250 watts into 2ohms in real life but I don't know what the true wattage rms into 2 ohms the EP4000 will run. So if it is only giving say 8-900 watts rms true output into 2 ohms I would probably be at about 45mm excursion.

I hope this makes sense.

cheers

Graham

·
Registered
171 Posts
The minimum the DCX will allow u to set a hpf is @20 hz, which will give u -6db @10 hz ....could be what ur looking for.
Remember that there's soo much more it can do...a truly powerful device to have in any system.

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
Winisd is showing me that at full power I am at 108db at 10hz
Graham, WinISD is only showing you a ball park figure, it doesn't take into account the effects of power compression or port compression. Then there's also the issue of voice coil temerature rise.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Hi there,

cheers

Graham
As others have mentioned 12hz is not a usual freq for filters for audio use. Can you solder? If so there are a couple of DIY options that will do the filter at least and you could just use the BFD for EQ.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Ricci,

I take it I connect the bfd before the mic2200 and then the EP4000. I doubt very much that I would get away with just one band of EQ but you never know. Is there much chance of getting any hum from the Mic2200 that you know.

I guess also that the hpf is trial and error to a certain extent.

One question, In Winisd when you set the hpf, is a fourth order the same as 24db and second order the same as 12db?

cheers

Graham

·
Super Moderator
9,340 Posts

I know of no device that delivers a true 12hz 4th order filter. Even the Reckhorn is limited by it's roll-off.
Not sure what do you mean by that? "Roll off" is what a HPF is supposed to do, isn't it? :huh:

Also I need a hpf set at 12hz with a 4th order.
Your cheapest option will be the MIC2200. You can daisy-chain the two channels to get your 4th order @ 12 Hz (assuming its even flat down to that point).

One question, In Winisd when you set the hpf, is a fourth order the same as 24db and second order the same as 12db?
That's correct.

Regards,
Wayne

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.