Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
For loudness 650 watts or 950 watts is about the same anyway, to hear twice louder you need a gain of 10 DB so twice louder of 650 watts is 6500 watts, just people are stuck on silly numbers and do not really understand, these days compagny like Crown or Beri just to name one or two are playing the burst watts game (for a micro second my amp can put out zillions of watts :yay: but in real life who cares except people that only read the big numbers)if all the number would have match for the EP4k i would be the first to shut up but this thing sounds fishy.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
SO you are asking my personal taste, i own only 2 products from Beri, 2 DCX2496 i was about to buy some EP2500 back then untill i started to read they were rip off (back engineering) from QSC so i bought mix of new and used QSC's instead, they come with 6 years waranty vs 1 for Beri, yes QSC are more expensive (100 $ rebate right now)but for me i will not give my hard hearn money to people who not care about doing fair business and have someone at the other end of the telephone to give you support when needed is important to me.

Now for the EP thousand of DIYer's own them and are really happy with them.

The link you posted Crest CPX2600 is the same amp as the Peavey PV2600. Crest was bought by Peavey 8-10 years ago. Those amps are the entry level pro amp just like QSC RMX so i would expect about same performance. The only experience i have with Peavey is the CS400,CS800 and CS1000(back 1985-90) and were excellent.

Price wise check place like flea bay, musician friend time to time have open box deal, i do not think we are allowed to talk about price here, but you can find really good deal. I will always say buy from your local business, yes will be a bit more expensive but this will keep his business running so this guy can spend his money local too :hide:.

Now for main front duty i'm happy with pro amp just like many people here and over AVS forum so you should be happy, keep in mind noise from the fan some people cannot deal with the noise or do the mod of the fan, check sticky post for mod above.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Great, I am fine with the fan mods as I did the 2500 and it is not dificult at all. So far I haven't been able to find the Crest any cheaper than the price I found and e-bay has it for more plus shipping. I found one open box at northern sound but it was the same price so I would rather go with the new, obviously. I would love to go with Yamaha but they are pricey. Thanks for the input I appreciate it...:T

·
Registered
132 Posts
Yes Yamaha are more expensive but sound really great. Some review says not so great on sub duty IE P7000S but extremly reliable, fans are variable speed so when cold you do not hear it.

I own an older Yamaha the PC2002M (about 25-30 years old)for my living room hookup to a set of Klipsch Heresy II just sounds sweet and still running like new. I replaced the caps on main power supply board as precautionary maintenance and few light bulb burnt and the remaining still orignal:T

·
Registered
171 Posts
Yes Yamaha are more expensive but sound really great. Some review says not so great on sub duty IE P7000S but extremly reliable, fans are variable speed so when cold you do not hear it.
So Yamaha amp's sound different to a Behringer :scratch:

950 watts into 4 Ohms makes P7000S no good for sub duties :rolleyes:

Which reviews :nerd:

·
Registered
132 Posts
So Yamaha amp's sound different to a Behringer :scratch:

950 watts into 4 Ohms makes P7000S no good for sub duties :rolleyes:

Which reviews :nerd:
For the Yamaha check there http://www.speakerplans.com/forum/ and PSW forum http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/ just browse your self like i said some review i cannot say for my self and will not do homework for other but nice enough to highlight what i read. I can point you other places people saying amp X will have tighter bass than amp Y so believe what ever you want.

Here a cut and paste from Crown forum
John, I have a question, are you using 2 18 in speakers per cabinet or 1? If you are using two and they are a total of 4 ohms then I would get an I-Tech 6000. I agree with Stephane that if you are only running 1 per side then a couple of xti 4000s might be the way to go. My only concern is the tightness of the bass. I have both XTi and I-Tech amps and you can definitely hear a difference in the punch in the bass response regardless of volume. If you can afford the cash in these times the I-Tech series would be my choice.

bill

I will trust more this guy that is doing this for living then many other doing it as a hobby who do not have real baseline to compare, i'm a dIYer my self and did pick my camp when is time to read and buy stuff :hide:

Now for amp that sound different many will say yes some no find for your self, i did not write sound different from a Beri you should read again, i can say my Yamaha sound a tad different from my Bryston's 4B all level match in the upper range freq, built quality is an other story and longevity only time will tell for Beri.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Well after a couple of day's of reading and searching I decided to replace my Crown 402 with the Mackie FR2600. It is $499 but I found an authorized dealer that has a few b-stock amps for $399 and with live.com and paypal I get another 12% off so it will be around $352. Here is the Mackie info and manual...
http://www.mackie.com/products/frseries/

·
Registered
171 Posts
You want me to browse another forum to look for evidence ? What I do know about the Yamaha P series is the inability to run bridged into 2 Ohms.

In the Crown forum example, those guys are comparing 1200 watts vs 3000 watts, they also claim to hear amplifier differences at any volume .... maybe they do level matched, double blind testing :nerd:

The 'Behringer EP' Series has enough inbuilt protection to give it the longevity, can u link to me otherwise?

The Audio Critic:
" (As I have said, and written, innumerable times, any two amplifiers with high input impedance, low output impedance, flat frequency response, and sufficiently low distortion and noise will sound exactly the same at matched levels if not clipped.)"

·
Registered
132 Posts
You want me to browse another forum to look for evidence ? What I do know about the Yamaha P series is the inability to run bridged into 2 Ohms.

[/B]
Name one pro-amplifier stable at 2 ohms bridged = 1 ohms stereo redo your home work:nerd: other then car amp that will live 100 hours there is not much :gah: :coocoo:

·
Registered
132 Posts
In the Crown forum example, those guys are comparing 1200 watts vs 3000 watts, they also claim to hear amplifier differences at any volume .... maybe they do level matched, double blind testing :nerd:

The Audio Critic:
So you were there to observed? :bigsmile::nerd::bigsmile::nerd:

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Hey guys... you might want to start a new thread to debate your topic... let's keep this thread about the newer EP2000 and EP4000 units.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
The new amps have rca inputs...and I saw the old amps at what I thought were good prices at b&h photo/video- shipped. No experience with them, but have a satisfactory rating with bbb. Not always so with many NY electronic biz's I've seen:nono:

Question: If running a low level rca signal a long way: 40-50ft can you use an ep amp without add'l (pricey) equipment or ill effects? Or even to other amps with typical rca jacks? Threads were confounding, at least to me.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
The new amps have rca inputs...and I saw the old amps at what I thought were good prices at b&h photo/video- shipped. No experience with them, but have a satisfactory rating with bbb. Not always so with many NY electronic biz's I've seen:nono:

Question: If running a low level rca signal a long way: 40-50ft can you use an ep amp without add'l (pricey) equipment or ill effects? Or even to other amps with typical rca jacks? Threads were confounding, at least to me.
Yes... you can make that run with no issues... or use 12 gauge speaker wire. You might want to use shielded RCA's, depending on what route you are taking.

I am actually using two 40' runs of in-wall 12 gauge speaker wire from front to back of our HT room. It will be for the EP2500 to power the rear subs. In our previous HT room I ran a 1/4" TS cable 30' from front to back to get signal to the EP2500. I did not want to have to worry about how I was going to power up the EP2500 in the new HT room.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I agree with Sonnie and think 12g would be best. Also I bought my reciever from B+H and had no issues so at least you know one person that used them.

41 - 60 of 81 Posts