Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I just signed up after reading a bit on this site and I think I will enjoy your company very much.

I am not an expert but not a complete novice, however it has been years since I upgraded my AV system. During this time, I have casually read some about AV equipment, but have not studied it. Now I need to upgrade my existing system.

One of the primary things I hope to glean from your expertise and advice is how to upgrade what I already have.

I do not know if I should spread this out, but here goes a thumbnail of what I am trying to do.

I just bought a new home and have some restrictions on TV size due to built in cabinets. It is limiting my TV size to 55" and I have an older 61".

I currently have a system consisting of Definitive Technology BP20 Towers, DT Center, DT Rear and a B&K AVR 507 receiver. I have had this system for quite a while and now am having some problems with the new technologies (4K) that my reveiver is not very compatible with and since they are out of business, I cannot get any upgrades. In addition, this receiver does not support HDMI at all.

So with all of that said, I can sum it up with needing to find the proper receiver for my existing speakers and a new 55" 4K UHD TV.

I have been looking at the Samsung 55" Series 8 LED 4K Ultra HDTV - UN55HU8550 and an Onkyo TX-NR636 receiver.

I don't have any problems with the TV as I own a few Samsung products and am happy with all of them, but I have never owned an Onkyo product. I have read several reviews and they are pretty favorable.

I primarily watch some TV, Movies and listen to a lot of different music from classial to country.

Any advice and/or recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help and thanks for a great site,

Thirdcoast

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello, and Seasons Greetings to you at the Texas Coast. I haven't noticed any replies to your introductory message, so I think I'll be the first to return the greeting. (I'm also a new member, and I'm situated 'way up north' in Canada.) As you invited comments, I'll merely suggest that you listen to more Classical and less Country - in order to get the most out of your listening experience, that is. All the Best!!

·
Premium Member
5,802 Posts
Welcome to the SHACK... Hope you had a Merry Christmas.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Welcome to Home Theater Shack. We hope that you will become part of the HTS community and enjoy both contributing to help others and find value in what others have posted.

For value, in terms of feature v price the Onkyo receivers are hard to beat. My preference for reliability is Yamaha. Personally, I use Onkyo for my HT and have retired my Yamaha receivers to secondary systems.

·
Banned
4,557 Posts
Welcome to Home Theater Shack! Thanks for joining!

If you're a Facebook user, click on the Facebook at the top of the page and "Like" our Facebook Page. Our feed is full of interesting links, photos, and news.:T

Happy New Year!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts