Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:rant:

Ok so I've been trying to select a DLP projector in the 4-6k range and not being able to see many in person makes it a bit difficult.

I was interested in the BenQ based on reviews I've been reading and was surfing for more info when I saw this projector being sold from one site for $250 instead of the 6k average everywhere else. :scratch:

I emailed the company asking if I'm missing anything, like the fact there selling just the bulb or something.

10 minutes later the price was fixed on the site... :mad: :duh: :mad: :rant:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
22,577 Posts
Yes... if it's an authorized dealer they will usually match or beat the price.

Make sure those low ball prices are not for refurbished, demo, or open box. You don't want hours on your bulb. Also make sure you are dealing with an authorized dealer... don't ask the dealer, check the BenQ website for dealer listings, if not listed, call BenQ and verify directly. If you buy from an unauthorized dealer then you are without warranty.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sonnie said:
Yes... if it's an authorized dealer they will usually match or beat the price.

Make sure those low ball prices are not for refurbished, demo, or open box. You don't want hours on your bulb. Also make sure you are dealing with an authorized dealer... don't ask the dealer, check the BenQ website for dealer listings, if not listed, call BenQ and verify directly. If you buy from an unauthorized dealer then you are without warranty.
Well now you have me worried... And ya I though all I'd be getting was a bulb or broken one when it was listed for two hundred and fifty dollars.

But they all say some **** about there a re-seller and have full warranty (till after you buy it right). Ok the sites listed as authorized dealers all have it for 5k, I have about 6 sites from big name companies that have if for 4k, hopefully they will do the price match.

Its amazing though how many companies are still selling it for 7k though.

I would like to actually see it though before buying it. Someone on another message board that lives with in an hour of me offered to let me come see his. Amazing in a local area like Philly that people can still be nice enough to invite stranges over.

I'm still waiting to see if he writes me back to actually follow through with the offer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
286 Posts
Tom, on a more practical basis be careful of fan noise. Check out a working projector to find out where the outlet vents are in relation to your sitting position, and how loud they are.
I decided to be smart and built my room around a floor standing CRT projector, and later switched to a ceiling mounted DLP. In advance I put outlets and conduit for cabling in the ceiling but didn't consider fan noise and building a hush box to extract the waste hot air. It's only a minor point but the noise can be irritating if your sitting directly under the outlet air.
A few weeks ago I dropped into a nearby showroom, they had two rooms with Sony projectors and no fan noise - nothing to do with projectors but they had very high ceilings and the noise got lost. So factor this in if you review.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Supposedly the BenQ is rated as great for how quiet it is but at the moment all I can base it on is stats and reviews. The stats have the DB for it lower then any other projector I've looked at. I guess I can always still box it afterwards if it is a problem.

As for the Optoma's HD 7100, I've also read alot of good things about this pj. It also opens up a whole new range since there are a few pj's at this price that are all getting good reviews.

That guy I metioned thats from the other board (I'll have to invite him over here) that has a benq projector, we made the arrangments for me to come to his house and see his HT room and this projector on Tuesday night.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
Let us know how it goes. I am also in the market for a pj and the BenQ is up on my list as well. You are right about finding a good place to see them side by side.:huh:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
kingkip said:
You are right about finding a good place to see them side by side.:huh:
Haaaa side by side is way to much to ask for... I'd be happy with getting to see the projector at all!

Anyway here is a repeat post from my blog thread but since the same thing was being mentioned in both about the projector, I'll post it here too:

I went to the guys house last night, the projector was great! :yes: Wow I was definetly impressed, basing it against the other projectors Ive been going to see in the last few weeks. Someone would definetly have to show me something else and prove me wrong in order to say that this isnt the best one in the under 10k range. Shoot I actually liked it better then the 10k Sony I viewed.

Not sure if I should rush to buy it right away though or should I wait till after the room is finished. Is there any benifit as far as roughing in the room to having it now?

It'll probably be another month or two till the room is actually sheet rocked and painted etc should I wait till after that before ordering?

I'm thinking if I get it now, I know exactly what I'm wiring for but do I really need that or is it generic? If I wait, the prices may come down or I may actually be proven wrong in that time and find something else.

By the way, I invited Jason the guy that let me come to his house and view this projector over to hear, so hopefully he'll be here soon :)

kingkip said:
Let us know how it goes. I am also in the market for a pj and the BenQ is up on my list as well.
King - this is defintely the best pj that I've seen! If your shopping defintely at least go view this one before making your decision.

Also I'd still like to hear others opinions since I'm still limited in the amount of projectors that I've actually seen and which Im basing my comparisons on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Phil M said:
Tom, on a more practical basis be careful of fan noise. Check out a working projector to find out where the outlet vents are in relation to your sitting position, and how loud they are.
I decided to be smart and built my room around a floor standing CRT projector, and later switched to a ceiling mounted DLP. In advance I put outlets and conduit for cabling in the ceiling but didn't consider fan noise and building a hush box to extract the waste hot air. It's only a minor point but the noise can be irritating if your sitting directly under the outlet air.
A few weeks ago I dropped into a nearby showroom, they had two rooms with Sony projectors and no fan noise - nothing to do with projectors but they had very high ceilings and the noise got lost. So factor this in if you review.
Phil: This projector is rated from 23-26 db as far as the fan noise depending on which mode your running it on. So it was defintely quieter and a lower pitch noise then most pj's but you can still hear it (if the sound was off). Is the hush box something that can be put in after wards though?

Not ever owning a projector I cant say if it will bother me or not, I doubt it will with the sound actually on but figure I will wait and if it bothers me, then add the box.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok what types of wire do I need purchase and run from the equipment rack to the projector?

It should be a total of about 18' from the rack to the projector. 4' up the wall to the ceiling, 7' down the side wall and 7' into the center of the room to the pj. So I guess around 20' runs or whatever type of wire you all suggest I get. I should get more then 2' extra of the wire?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
286 Posts
I haven't seen any commercialy available hush boxes - most people DIY them. Typically the projector is fully enclosed and you vent the exhaust the exhaust out of the room, and have a seperate cool air inlet. This is a project beyond my skill level.
My fan level doesn't normally disturb me, but would be the last tweak on the path to perfection.
I wouldn't worry about it, but just wanted to put it on your radar screen as something to consider when you compare different projectors.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
142 Posts
I recently saw one of these running and was stunned how quiet it was compared to my Screenplay 7205. That said, if I am aware of the PJ noise during a film, then the film must be pretty dull. Some may be more sensitive than I. Not quite as bright as my 7205, but excellent CR and top class edge to edge sharpness and geometry.

Russell
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Just a quick thing to take into consideration. There are different firmware versions available for this. THe newest one is 1.14 which cures the bulb issues they had but has added a little fan noise, 1.15 version is not available in the U.S. as of yet but when it is, you should be able to send this in to BenQ for a free upgrade.

Let me know if you guys have any more questions, this is one of my favorite projectors!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Stephanie_tva said:
Just a quick thing to take into consideration. There are different firmware versions available for this. THe newest one is 1.14 which cures the bulb issues they had but has added a little fan noise, 1.15 version is not available in the U.S. as of yet but when it is, you should be able to send this in to BenQ for a free upgrade.

Let me know if you guys have any more questions, this is one of my favorite projectors!
Does the projector need to be sent in, or can we order the updated firmware and install it ourselves? I'd rather not ship the pj out and wait forever to get it back, once I get up and running that is...

If we pay to have it ISF calibrated would those guy have and be able to install the update? Maybe Ill just get both done at the same time if I can work it that way
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Generally it needs to be sent in but they are usually good with taking a short period of time to do this.

Calibrators may be able to do it, of course, my recommendation is to just wait and send it back to Benq, just in case something goes wrong, you are fully covered.
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Just to let everyone know, 1.15 is now available on this. All of the pj's in my warehouse have 1.15 firmware, yay for quiet fan noise! :banana:
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Top