Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
First let me tell you that I almost started to do Silver fire screen from avs forum recipe but was turned off by mechmans review of it. So, being convinced by knowledge I've decided to aks for wisdom here :eek:lddude:

So I've bought Benq W1070 because of its price/quality ratio and my goal is to get best picture out of it. Till now I've been watching movies on old ASK C1 Compact pj on matte white painted wall and it barely passes. I was planing to buy Panasonic plasma GT60 screen but diagonal was all in favour for projector so I'm trying to achieve that colors which can be seen on plasma (i know it's a dream on pj, but I just wanted to describe level at which I'm aiming at)

So, now for setup: projector will be mounted on the ceiling with this mount, about 3,4m from wall where screen will be. Desired screen diagonal will be btw. 106" and 110". Room is painted matte white for now but will probably be repainted in darker colors (ceiling maybe navy blue with slight shimmer and walls maybe anthracite with slight pearl shine)

Ambient light can be turned off completely even in daylight and I prefer to watch movies that way. I will watch mostly 2D movies but I hope to watch 3D also if the movie asks for it. So lets say it will be about 90% 2D and 10% 3D

The DIY screen would be made out of MDF board (here they come in 2,8m x 2,2m size) and spray painted.

Problem are the colors:
I live in EU, south east Europe and brands that can be bought locally are:
Dulux
Caparol
Jub

Other brands maybe exist but I haven't found Behr or Valspar. Liquitex basics do exist but havent found "matte" series. Sparkling, glitter and shimmer paint brands that are used thru out the forums does not exist here, only via internet shops (and I dunno if they ship here cause I'm in "zone 3" of EU countries, or to say in "last part of interest")

So... what screen would you recommend me for my setup? Just to say, I've seen that silver fire does to the picture in youtube videos, for example this one
, so I really don't want plain white projection screen.

Also what do you think about this colors (ones to the left. right ones have pearl shine):
http://s13.postimg.org/4j7r6xh07/IMG_20140726_121711.jpg
http://s4.postimg.org/9mdfks8l9/IMG_20140726_121701.jpg

They are from Jub, really matte and have a lot of sparkling. The paint is water based, primer and a topcoat in one (they are boosting with that feature) and can be mixed in any color from their color sheet

so, what do you think

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
Get a neutral gray around N8. Tint codes are located here. Stay away from the metallic paints as they are probably loaded with mica. You can even see the wicked hot spotting in your picture. What paint are they using in the Russian video? Unless they changed the ingredients, which wouldn't be all that shocking, they aren't available internationally.

Think of things proportionately. Silver fire will raise the white levels (unevenly along the surface of the screen I might add) but it also raises the black levels at the same rate. There has only been one diy paint proven to do this and that was/is Black Widow™. And with how bright lower end projectors have become, the need for the aluminum has really diminished. These projectors really only need help with blacks - even in a totally dark room.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@mechman
Here's the recipe for screen paint used in that youtube video:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/110-d...l-silver-fire-v-2-thread-45.html#post24073682
As I said, I've abandoned SF paint but I would like the colors to look lively so as I've figured out so far it happens because of sparkling particles in screen paint, or am I wrong?

@Yiannis +1970
Thanks for info, Caparol is superb choice for me because there's a dealer of it near by. If you would be so kind to give me the link to exact which one is it (latex/acryl/matte/flat/satin)
Also do I need primer (and if yes which one) and should I spray paint it? As I've said, surface will be MDF - also if you can suggest which the thickness of MDF board should I use for that screen size (I was thinking to use 1cm) I've never either rolled or spray painted before but I'm a willing learner. I have hobby spray painter "Parkside paint spray gun pfs 100 b2"

@both
What about this article that suggests the screen shouldn't be complete flat/matte surface but satin - should Caparol Grau 20 be flat/matte or satin?

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
@mechman
Here's the recipe for screen paint used in that youtube video:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/110-d...l-silver-fire-v-2-thread-45.html#post24073682
As I said, I've abandoned SF paint but I would like the colors to look lively so as I've figured out so far it happens because of sparkling particles in screen paint, or am I wrong?
The sad part is that they probably don't even notice the hot spotting. I can see it in the pictures even with all the content they are displaying. :rolleyesno: If they put up a whiter than white image from a calibration disk the hot spot would scream out at you. Roland (MMan) is an enormous scam artist. We've seen the fallout all too often here at HTS.

That article isn't good. Harpmaker and I have done an enormous amount of testing in the past with finishes and rarely, if ever, will a satin work. PJCentral has a decent projector calculator and database. And they should probably stick with what they know. That's my $.02. :T

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Matte finish of course my friend!!:)
I'm lost: I've been searching on three Caparol sites (german, english and local) and not a single one has "Caparol Grau 20 matt"
Best I've found is Capacryl PU-Matt which is water based finishing enamel for use on primers. Problem is that there's no PU-Matt on english or local site!? And if that is the one - which primer do I need for MDF?

Also there's Caparol-MattLatex which is interior wall paint.

Help?
ok, it will be as u say

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
I'm lost: I've been searching on three Caparol sites (german, english and local) and not a single one has "Caparol Grau 20 matt"
Best I've found is Capacryl PU-Matt which is water based finishing enamel for use on primers. Problem is that there's no PU-Matt on english or local site!? And if that is the one - which primer do I need for MDF?

Also there's Caparol-MattLatex which is interior wall paint.

Help?

ok, it will be as u say

:huh:

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yiannis, thanks a lot! Funny thing is that there's no such product on official Caparol site, nor english one, nor local one I need, only on greek one :dontknow:
http://www.caparol.gr/xromata-esoterikis-xrisis/item/41-xroma-esoterikis-xrisis-seidenmattex.html

I've wrote to official german Caparol and asked abut that paint so well see where's the catch with that mystery...

Also is there possibility to mix a "Black widow" paint with caparol paint and would you recommend it for me instead just Caparol grau 20 painted screen

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Yiannis!

Btw. local Caparol dealer responded to my email and said that SeidenMattex is not regional product and therefor can't be purchased here. But he recommend me Caparol Amphibolin E.L.F.
http://www.caparol.de/uploads/pics/caparol_import/caparol_de/ti/37336/TI_100_EN.pdf
for which he said is practically the same color but, as he said "more matte" than SeidenMattex. As I can see, under "Gloss Level" there stands "Silk-matt, G2"
I'll check out the color samples chart at the store to see how matte is it

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Perfect! Mystery solved!:)
maybe mystery is solved but the soap opera goes on:
the guy from Caparol told me that Amphibolin color can't be mixed so light in color as Grau 20, but darker.
So he recommends MattLatex in combination with primer Haftprimer but didn't explain if MattLatex is the same as SeidenMattex

Also he said that they had questions before about projection surface paints and said that people used Indeko-plus paint and were satisfied with the result

paints... :hissyfit:

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
maybe mystery is solved but the soap opera goes on:
the guy from Caparol told me that Amphibolin color can't be mixed so light in color as Grau 20, but darker.
So he recommends MattLatex in combination with primer Haftprimer but didn't explain if MattLatex is the same as SeidenMattex

Also he said that they had questions before about projection surface paints and said that people used Indeko-plus paint and were satisfied with the result

paints... :hissyfit:
Well, this is a new one!! Grau 20 is made by adding the necessary color pigments to a usual base (white). This is done by using the Caparol machine whice takes care the quantities and mixing for the final mix...i 've never heard such claims before!! They doing it by hand?? What does it mean ''darker''? Grau 20 has certain and specific properties that can be achieved my following the procedure using the Caparol system.

Maybe Harp or Mech know something about or have heard something similar. Personally, it's the first time i hear something like that..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, it's not so uncommon in my country/region to stumble upon someone who is "too smart" and doing the job he really doesn't know how to do
I'll ask in the store what they think about all that

1 - 15 of 15 Posts