Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive seen this question crop up somewhere, and wondered what the best budget subs in the US are considered to be. Here in the UK, for a cost of £500 or under there is pretty much nothing to touch BK subs, but whats the norm for you guys in the US?

·
Registered
10 Posts
this forum has led me to the conclusion/decision that the best you can do for 300 bucks is a diy. i think i'm gonna stretch my budget to around 600 or so tho.

·
Registered
83 Posts
There's some okay Klipsch subs for around 300.00 but even a DIY'er would find it tough to stay on budget with 300. A plate amp cost over a 100.00 and then the MDF and glue and driver and finishing products...

G

·
I've been in audio for awhile and I've never been aware of a good/great $300 sub.

Sometimes this goes on sale, but currently is $19 over http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-770 , but I think they do free shipping over $100 so tax or shipping would cost $19+ at other stores. I can't imagine a branded sub being able to top that in the $300 range. All it takes is a screw driver and making two connections to build it, so anyone should be able to do that.

DIY could still top that as long as someone already owns tools and has the knowledge. MDF and glue is cheap. Now making it look pretty.... Not so much, but primer and black paint doesn't drive the cost up too much.

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
this forum has led me to the conclusion/decision that the best you can do for 300 bucks is a diy. i think i'm gonna stretch my budget to around 600 or so tho.
I agree: more for your money, or equal for less money. That's not taking into account buying a sale priced or used amp and/or driver. I think the performance difference between a retail $300 sub and a diy $350-400 sub is staggering, and that's at retail component prices. Figure in a deal on a used amp and KaPOW! :boxer:

·
Registered
6,170 Posts
At the current exchange rate it's $633.60

Sorry it's $637.67 as of May 28th 2010

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Thats a tough question, The only subs I could find that I would even consider were the Velodyne impact 10 for $267 and the ED A3S for $350. My personal choice would be to not go less than the SVS PB10NSD for $475

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
I agree: more for your money, or equal for less money. That's not taking into account buying a sale priced or used amp and/or driver. I think the performance difference between a retail $300 sub and a diy $350-400 sub is staggering, and that's at retail component prices. Figure in a deal on a used amp and KaPOW! :boxer:
SVS being a good value in subs is still $475 for a quality 10"er. That much money can get you quite a bit more in displacement, power, and resultant output through DIY, with your time investment, of course.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
SVS being a good value in subs is still $475 for a quality 10"er. That much money can get you quite a bit more in displacement, power, and resultant output through DIY, with your time investment, of course.
Very true, the only issue is that many dont have the tools or the time to build one. I would love to try a DIY build but I simply dont have that kind of time I would want to spend on building one. If you dont live in a home with a garage or unfinished basement this becomes even more difficult.

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
Yeah, time and tools alright. I spent a lot of time and they look alright. Kind of like sub enclosures with the size/depth/output interaction, building a sub has the aesthetics/money/time interaction. I skimped on aesthetics and a bit on money (these are heavily intertwined), yet still invested in time and have the result.

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
For the purposes of this thread, I'm ignoring DIY for the minute and focusing purely on off the shelf subs.

G

·
For the purposes of this thread, I'm ignoring DIY for the minute and focusing purely on off the shelf subs.
I would probably trust BIC America to make some of the best budget subs. The Formula F-12 can easily be found under $300. They have a Acoustech Platinum Series PL-200 that can be found at $325. A tad over, but both use BASH amps and BIC seems to have very little markup compared to other speaker companies. I've had Valodyne before, and they easily beat Polk and Infinity and other big box store subs in the same price range, but I didn't think it sounded all that great, but it could pump out bass. If I had to buy and couldn't build, I'd try the PL-200.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The Emotiva Ultra Sub 10 is currently on sale for $299 USD (I just ordered one to upgrade my failing Paradigm CT90 10" sub). Otherwise, there's the Elemental Designs A3S-250 I think it is, for $350 USD. If you can get a reasonably used sub from a source you trust not to have abused it, you could do even better for the money.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I got a energy ESW C-10 sub on ebay brand new under 300.... retails for 499 or 599 ? Anyway.... I think its pretty bad. The wood seems very thin for a sub. I think a DIY project for under 300 , 400 500 would kill a retail sub in that price range . Just getting some 1 inch MDF would make a huge difference. I say this not even having done a DIY as of yet.... most of the 300 subs are coming from china with the cheapest components.

just my 2 cents worth of noob!

fschris

·
Banned
42 Posts
The HSU Research STF-1 at 299 and the STF-2 at 349 are the best subs in my book at the 300.00 range.

The STF-1 is an 8" sub but will outperform many 10" models from other companies same thing applies for the STF-2.

HSU Research subs in general are hard to beat for the price and performance they offer.

http://hsuresearch.com/

1 - 20 of 30 Posts