Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought 3 PSB Image C60's and a pair of S50's. I plan on buying a sub to replace the junk I currently own.

I need a good AVR to use this stuff to it's potential. I want to spend around $350 and will probably run a 5.1 setup. I'm leaning toward Onkyo but would consider Denon or Pioneer. If someone has a good recommendation I'd really appreciate a brief rundown of the features that make it a winner.

Setup will be for 50/50 home theater and music in a 25X25 foot room.

·
Banned
4,015 Posts
Hi Mikey, I strongly suggest looking at the Onkyo AVR's as for the money you will get far more in return, I personally would choose an Onkyo over a Denon or Pioneer, having owned all 3 brands I prefer the sound of the Onkyo receivers.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
I highly recommend adding $50 to your budget and go with this Onkyo 707 as it offers amazing value for the money and gives you every option you would ever need. The only thing its missing is the new 3D HDMI 1.4 spec but if 3D is not important to you it is by far the best deal you can get.

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Within that price range, I to would have to suggest the Onkyo and as Tony suggests, if you can squeeze another $50 into the budget, the 707 would be great!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'd look at the Denon 1611 for about $400 or the Denon 591 for about 350. Check the Denon USA site for the list of authorized internet dealers. ECOST and Dakmart both carry refurbs. Sometimes you'll find a better deal looking at year old models, a quick search found a 2310 in the ball park where you are looking, it's a year old but has is a higher model.

If you want a quick comparison of the entry Denon models, check this link: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1252688

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
Another vote for the 707. The combination of Preamp Outputs and THX Certification takes it over the top over the Denon.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
17 Posts
Pre outs are great if you're going to use them. Do you really see a $350 amp running 5.1 going to external amps? I don't see them in his near future. I'm not sure what THX gets you ... other than a few more letters on stickers on the box ... and a few bucks spent by the vendor which could be spent by hardware. I don't see the added value to THX.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
THX Post Processing is excellent and is used by many. THX is more than a few letters. I will grant you when they started releasing Select Level Components, THX lost some of their shine.

THX Ultra Spec is actually not easy to attain whereas Select is. Regardless, whatever floats your boat

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does "powered zone 2" mean a receiver has multi zone output? Like I have a pair of speakers in another room powered by this AVR?

What do people do who have both a projector and regular flat screen TV? I don't understand why the 707 has about 15 video inputs but only one HDMI output. HDMI switchers are expensive.

I looked at both Denon and Onkyo and have decided on the Onkyo 707. That price at accessories for less is awesome.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
THX modes are very useful, If you like the wide dynamic sound of a theater sound system adding them on top of the uncompressed audio formats from BluRay is great. Other then DPLIIx, THX modes are also great for exspanding 5.1 audio to 7.1 channels if you use them.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Does "powered zone 2" mean a receiver has multi zone output? Like I have a pair of speakers in another room powered by this AVR?

What do people do who have both a projector and regular flat screen TV? I don't understand why the 707 has about 15 video inputs but only one HDMI output. HDMI switchers are expensive.

I looked at both Denon and Onkyo and have decided on the Onkyo 707. That price at accessories for less is awesome.
That's an excellent selection. Let us know if you need help setting it up.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The lowest model in the demon line thY will drive two simultaneous hdmi outputs is the 4311 at a out 1500 street price. The 3311 will has two outs but only one can be active at a time. I am not sure where that fits in other manufacturer's lines but you will not typically find two outs in entry level avr's

·
Registered
919 Posts
Yes it has output for a 2nd zone.
If not using the full 7.1 system, you can use the rear surround outputs to power a 2nd zone.
If using the full 7.1 system, the AVR still has outputs for a 2nd zone but they will not be powered by the Onkyo, they will need to go to another amp or AVR.

***Important Note***
The zone 2 outputs will only work with analog inputs to the Onkyo. In other words, if you have your cd player hooked up to the Onkyo with a digital connection, the Onkyo will not pass that signal through to the 2nd zone. You would have to connect the cd player to the Onkyo with an analog connection.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you use an HDMI switch is there a prescribed way to switch between output units? I'm assuming you have to turn off one tv before you turn on the other in order to eliminate handshake issues.

·
Registered
115 Posts
for the 4x1 switch the handshake would happen for each input

ie, if you had a dvr on input 1 and a blu ray on input 2 when you switched between them the handshake would reoccur. My understanding is that the handshake is happening between the switch and the outputting device but I could be mistaken.

My guess is that with a 4x2 it would happen in the same manner. The 4x2's definately do not require that only one output path be live at one time.

Basically,
you use ir to control the switch and they magically work, I've been happily surprised at how well it works

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
If you use an HDMI switch is there a prescribed way to switch between output units? I'm assuming you have to turn off one tv before you turn on the other in order to eliminate handshake issues.
I use a TrippLite unit for access to a single Apple TV and it is designed to have four displays running at once. The down side is that it only support a single input device. On the upside, there is no problem with handshake issues.

It is also automatic when the display is turned on so no IR is needed.

·
Registered
115 Posts
the monoprice ones are automatic as well; but in my scenario there is a dish network receiver which always is outputting a signal on hdmi so I'm forced to use ir for switch control

basically, when you factor in the price; the monoprice switches are to good to be true

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
the monoprice ones are automatic as well; but in my scenario there is a dish network receiver which always is outputting a signal on hdmi so I'm forced to use ir for switch control

basically, when you factor in the price; the monoprice switches are to good to be true
I'm sorry, I am a little lost, please bear with me. The Apple TV in my scenario is also always outputting via HDMI as well and is always on. No matter when I turn on one of the TV's, the Apple TV shows up on the appropriate input of the TV.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts