Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Needing guidance on a "budget build" for my 5.1 home theater. I am wanting to stay under $300. I have plenty of space and options for placement.

The area that the system is located at the end of our finished basement which has a 10 foot ceiling and open floor plan. The sitting area is about 15x24 with the home theater on the 15' wall. Plenty of room to put one (or two) sub in the corners.

I want the sub to be powered so will need an amp to fit in that budget as well.

I am an experienced cabinet maker and have built speaker enclosures before. But never a sub.

Thanks!

·
Registered
46 Posts
5.1 systems from
Monoprice
Product Number: 8247
This is under $100 and will keep with most any sound bar application

This is under $200 and will beat most any sound bar application
Product Number: 10565

or Polk 6750 system.

2pc speaker fro Dayton in B652(under $40) or B652 Air (under $60)
Dayton Sub 800 under $100. for cheap 2.1 sound

This is money better spent and will give sound quality that you are looking.

Read more: http://www.hometheatershack.com/for...o-i-burnt-these-tweeters-2.html#ixzz3SX75DWE2

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
How much does an Inuke 1000 cost you?

You can build a 12" loaded horn or even a 15" loaded horned subwoofer for around 300. Just depends on what your actual costs are. This is the THT subwoofer from Bill Fitzmaurice.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I kind of like the idea of folded or tapped horn. Are these types of subs powered or always passive? I also read that you can get impressive bass from a 10" or even 8" driver.

I should have also mentioned in my original post that I want a sub that will NOT rattle, vibrate, or otherwise distort the sound in any way...just clean lows that will make my son realize he got ripped off on his junky subs he bought for his mustang. :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
The two Infinity subs were wired in series. If I recall the voice coils were set up for a 2 ohm load. With the series wiring the amp has a 4 ohm load. Both subs fire out together.

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
There are some 8" and 10" subwoofer designs out that are very cheap to build and all are passive. You just need a plate amp or power amp for power.

If going with a single 8" then you can buy some 8's for about 50 dollars and the amp would be maybe 100. Lots of different designs and all sound great. Wont have extreme lows but will do 25hz and up well enough for a first sub.

BUT you do have a 15 x 24 room and that will need some SPL. The table tuba from Bill will also work and can use a 8" or a 10". They sound great also and do well for a HT room. Two would be fine in room that size but for a room your size I would suggest the THT. You can do a 12" version also.

Lots of variables here. SPL and extension are the main things to decide on. 15's can be bought for about 100 dollars. Buy an amp for about 200, I think and then you need the plywood. Build the 24" wide THT and then your set. Cant sy enough great things about that subwoofer.

But if you have to try smaller then the table tuba from Bill works great also. Not near as loud or goes as low but still sounds great from about 25hz and up depending on room gain. I think that uses the JBL 804 speaker which costs about 40-50 dollars. The 10" is just a little more. SO I would buy the 10" if building this model.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, if I went with a smaller version of the THT (12" drivers) what components would you recommend? If I had to bump up the budget to $350, no big deal.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So what about a THT using a Dayton Audio RSS315HF-4 12" Reference HF Subwoofer 4 Ohm for the driver...

and a Yung SD300 300W Class D Subwoofer Plate Amp?

If I use just one driver in the THT, that should be fine. I can't tell if the THT uses one or two drivers...

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
The THT uses one driver in 12" or 15". The main difference for using a smaller 12 or 15 for that matter is solely based on space available. When it comes to cost they are pretty close to each other. I believe the 15 uses the Dayton 15 390HF(I think) but the classic Dayton 15 works also. But the price between the 12 and or 15 in the same models is maybe 15 dollars difference. SO I would just go with the 15.

I will have to look at my plans to see which 12 and 15's work. There is also another horn loaded subwoofer on this forum that kravenchenko, or something like this, designed that use a 12". It supposedly performed very well also for HT.
http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/ported-subwoofer-build-projects/63547-ultimate-subwoofer.html

This subwoofer uses the FaitalPro 12FH510. Probably more expensive than the Daytons but another option.

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
I have never been a plate amp fan. I used a few in the past and the ones I liked are no longer made. If I built the THT again I would just use an Inuke 1000 amp. You only need about 300watts for the THT. I was using about 50watts and that got pretty loud. But I had a smaller room than you do.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts