Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I am new to the forum and am about to start my home theater but still trying to learn as much as possible. I am on a strict budget for a projector $1000 or less and am trying to get the best bang for my buck. 3d doesn't matter to me nor does lcd or dlp. I'll have a throw distance of somewhere between 12-15 ft and probably around 120" screen.

I have read a lot of reviews about the Optoma HD20 and am leaning towards that but am open to suggestions. I would appreciate any feedback you guys could give me since I am pretty clueless on all of this. Thanks again and look forward to hearing some of your replies!

·
Registered
578 Posts
23bossman said:
Any personal opinions?
For $1K or less, the Optoma HD20 seems like the way to go. If I had to replace my PJ tomorrow, I would try to snag a BenQ W6000 for ~$1,500 (which is what I see they're currently selling for on a few U.S. sites). A buddy of mine has one and it's a really nice PJ.

·
Registered
87 Posts
If you can stretch to 1100, the Epson 8350 is outstanding as an all-around projector. Very flexible, great brightness, great picture. I know that there's always something better out there, but to me the 8350 offers a lot more bang than the HD20 for not much more money.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys, the Epson 8350 does look like a great projector. I guess I am going to see if I can eliminate the ambient light. For me I think that will be the deciding factor if I can get away with the HD20 or if I need the brightness of the Epson. I really appreciate all the help ya'll.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Thanks guys, the Epson 8350 does look like a great projector. I guess I am going to see if I can eliminate the ambient light. For me I think that will be the deciding factor if I can get away with the HD20 or if I need the brightness of the Epson. I really appreciate all the help ya'll.
Go with the Epson you will have a much easier time with placement and setup.

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Go with the Epson you will have a much easier time with placement and setup.
Completely with Isiberian on this one - after a few weeks of research on different projectors, I was all set to get this projector for the exact reasons stated until the Panny AE7000 came out. :T

·
Registered
10 Posts
This may help.
That helped tremendously. Since that was posted approximately 1 year ago, who is on top 3 this year in the sub $1500 price range? How does an older epson 8700ub stack up to these newer models like the benq w6000, epson 3010, epson 8350, and x?

Can anyone suggest a sub $1,500 projector aimed on a 120" black widow screen (10' x 20' room with ambient light)? I don't care for 3d and will primarily watch it for family movies.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I just picked up a benq w1060 and have temporarily hooked it up real quick to see what it looked liked and man was I blown away. I have an optoma hd66 in my current theater and am building a new one that the benq will go in.

I have been an optoma fan for a long time, but this benq is like a light canon compared to the optoma's I have seen....best thing is it's around $900.

hope that helps,

1 - 14 of 14 Posts