490 Posts
Re: Best Concerts

In alphabetical order:
- Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds: Live at Radio City
- Eagles: Farewell I Tour - Live from Melbourne
- Heart: Alive in Seattle
- Iron Maiden: Flight 666
- The Police: Certifiable
+1 on certifiable excellent performance.

·
Registered
100 Posts

Chris Botti Live <-- Sting sings on one song, so good.

The Tenors, Lead with your heart (Live from Las Vegas) <-- I'm in the crowd shots since I was at the 4+ hour filming of the special (which is no where near 4 hours long...).

Agree with Adele and David Gilmore at Royal Albert. Sublime (especially Adele's version of Bonnie Raitt's "I can't make you love me").

·
Registered
104 Posts
Joe cocker at new orleans jazz fest.
James taylor and carole king troubador tour.
RNR with richard elliott and rick braun.

·
Registered
5 Posts

I love Metallica in Neimes and U2 360.

I am waiting for Rammstein, Rival Sons, DMB and many more. Please relese more BD-concert.

·
Registered
84 Posts

Mahler
Symphony No. 7
Lucerne Festival Orchestra
Claudio Abbado, conductor

Oh My.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Moved to CD-BD-DVD Music forum ... edited to include DVD concerts as well... and it is now a Sticky Thread. :T

I don't think there is much I can add that has not already been included. I will suggest David Gilmour in Concert (2002 on DVD)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Surely depends on musical taste, but not listed here yet is Steven Wilson, Get All You Deserve. Fantastic concert in Mexico City with video and surround audio out of this world, played but wat has to be one of the best rock bands in the planet today.

Someone mentioned Supertramp In Paris 1979. Also a great Blu-Ray.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Indeed, Get All You Deserve is superb!

Here are a few more to add to the growing list of excellent concert films, and I'll refrain from naming other Gilmour shows, etc. The list below forced some tough choices (and a little cheating) because most of the listed artists have other live shows that are also must-haves, at least for me. It's hard to resist simply citing every concert disk I've purchased (kind of a long list), but I will. So here are a baker's dozen (from a range of genres) that have yet to be named, in alphabetical order:

Jeff Beck - Live at Ronnie Scott's
Clapton's Crossroads shows (all of 'em - sorry for cheating)
Al DiMeola - Speak a Volcano
Steve Hackett - Live Fire and Ice
Hiromi - Live in Marciac
Stanley Jordan Trio - The Paris Concert
Pat Metheny - Speaking of Now Live
Opeth - Live at the Royal Albert Hall
Return to Forever - Live at Montreaux
Riverside - Reality Dream
Steve Vai - Live at the Astoria London
Stevie Ray Vaughan - Live from Austin Texas
...and I'm still waiting for my favorite, which will be:
Frank Zappa/The Mothers - Roxy and Elsewhere (Come on Dweezil, you promised me that it would be released last year!)

Obviously, that's a far from a complete list, but I think they're all essentials (but, yes, it surely depends upon one's musical taste). Still, when mentioning Metheny, how could I not suggest The Orchestrion Project (more cheating), which is the most amazing 'one man band' I've ever witnessed.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Rush - Clockwork Angels (BD)
Sarah Brightman - Dreamchaser (Japanese BD)
Seiji Ozawa and Berlin Philharmonic - Orff - Carmina Burana/Beethoven - 9th Symphony (DVD)

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Thanks for reawakening an excellent thread, Kevin.

Another one that stands out in my mind for picture, audio and performance:
Joe Satriani - Live from San Francisco

Here's one with only fair to good quality audio and video, but sports a spectacular performance:
Allman Brothers Band - Live at the Beacon Theater

And last but not least, this one has a surprising combination of all three metrics that just makes the experience rewarding:
Live from Austin, TX (Austin City Limits) - Norah Jones

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks for reawakening an excellent thread, Kevin.
No problem. Often, old threads disappear for good reason, but it seems to me that there's a lot of useful stuff in this one that is the very reason we build our systems in the first place.

I'll have a dig through my DVDs and see if anything else catches my eye. Haven't found much on BluRay, but I have quite a few concert DVDs and if the picture leaves something to be desired, the sound certainly doesn't.

Here's one I forgot I had bought that surfaced a few weeks ago.

Rush: 2112 5.1 (DVD)

·
Registered
733 Posts
And last but not least, this one has a surprising combination of all three metrics that just makes the experience rewarding:
Live from Austin, TX (Austin City Limits) - Norah Jones
I have this on DVD as well and it is a great performance, If it ever became available on Blu-ray I would purchase it again.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Haven't found much on BluRay, but I have quite a few concert DVDs and if the picture leaves something to be desired, the sound certainly doesn't.
I have this on DVD as well and it is a great performance, If it ever became available on Blu-ray I would purchase it again.
Both of you probably know this already, but it bears repeating... Just because something is on Blu Ray, doesn't mean it will have high-quality picture and sound. Sometimes the Blu Ray release is just a copy of the DVD. It pays to check out online reviews before buying!

While I'm here, might as well toss another into the ring for its undeniably high-quality performance:
John Mayer - Where the Light Is (Live in Los Angeles)

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Both of you probably know this already, but it bears repeating... Just because something is on Blu Ray, doesn't mean it will have high-quality picture and sound. Sometimes the Blu Ray release is just a copy of the DVD. It pays to check out online reviews before buying! While I'm here, might as well toss another into the ring for its undeniably high-quality performance: John Mayer - Where the Light Is (Live in Los Angeles)
A great concert. I wasn't a big John Mayer fan but purchased this one based on the positive feedback. Highly recommended!

21 - 40 of 44 Posts