Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Friend of the Shack
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Otto, were you able to get the Home Theater Shack discount or is that still available?
I didn't know anything about it. Do we know what the HTS price is? I paid the price on their site $219 each...

As to the MJ-18s, yeah, they'll be for sale. PM me.

·
Friend of the Shack
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Yeah, I saw that. I emailed Scott and he said it's for four or more, so maybe the deal's changed a little. I'm OK with the extra $10. I wonder if there will really be a difference...

·
Registered
342 Posts
We got Fi Audio's parameters worked out and interestingly Scott has produced a killer IB sub...

This is max power and max excursion, however, you will not reach max excursion on 4 IB Fi's with 2400 watts and no HPF is needed.

View attachment 10135

View attachment 10136

Here's your 4 vs. 2 IB Fi's...

View attachment 10137
It looks to me like 4 Fi Audio IB subs and the EP 2400 are a fantastic and safe combo. I have a question and some commentary. The fact that it looks like the Fi IB subs get near full excursion, but don't quite reach it is wonderful, but the fact that they are so much more efficient in output in the 20-40 Hz range seems to explain why quite a lot of guys with Fi IB installs have a bump in the in-room-response in that region. The Maelstrom-X doesn't have the same efficiency in the 20-40 range, but greater efficiency in the 10-20 range; so, it's natural roll off is much flatter, which nicely offsets room gain, thus make it's in room response very flat. Of course, this also puts it at risk for bottoming. So, if you had a choice, what would you prefer, 4 Fi IB subs and money in your pocket, or 4 Maelstrom-X subs and a hi-pass filter, but potentially less need for EQ?

Edit: A few more questions... I have two Ascendant Audio Avalanche 18" drivers in an IB. They model very similar to the Maelstrom X (very similar T/S parameters). In real life, the bass from the Avalanches feels a little soft, for lack of a better term, even though the in-room plots with REW are great. I've read online that other people also have the same feeling with this particular driver. It just doesn't have a lot of slam. Do you guys think that might be due to the Qts being around .40? Since the Fi IB subs have a higher Qts, should they have more slam? Have any of you heard both in an IB install? Both drivers seem to have good/low inductance, so I don't think that is an issue. Since I will be in the market for a new IB and haven't thought about drivers that much in 3 years, I'm really getting curious.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
It looks to me like 4 Fi Audio IB subs and the EP 2400 are a fantastic and safe combo. I have a question and some commentary. The fact that it looks like the Fi IB subs get near full excursion, but don't quite reach it is wonderful, but the fact that they are so much more efficient in output in the 20-40 Hz range seems to explain why quite a lot of guys with Fi IB installs have a bump in the in-room-response in that region. The Maelstrom-X doesn't have the same efficiency in the 20-40 range, but greater efficiency in the 10-20 range; so, it's natural roll off is much flatter, which nicely offsets room gain, thus make it's in room response very flat. Of course, this also puts it at risk for bottoming. So, if you had a choice, what would you prefer, 4 Fi IB subs and money in your pocket, or 4 Maelstrom-X subs and a hi-pass filter, but potentially less need for EQ?
It is really hard to say because each response and room gain is going to be extremely dependent on the room. If you were looking for that house type curve, the Fi's appear to favor it more. However, for music, which generally only extends to the 25-35Hz range, you could end up with a hump. To make a real determination of which one would likely fit you best, I would say place a sealed sub driver in your main listening seat and take response measurements where you intend to mount the IB's. See what kind of room gain you get and how the room effects your response.

·
Banned
361 Posts
I been lookin for avalanches, tumults, and the like for a long time. I had a pair of 15" ava's 3 years ago i got screwed on... Chad from Ascendant wouldn't finish recones, which led to further problems.

·
Registered
181 Posts
LOL, looks like kryptonitewhite and I are predators when it comes to finding good deals on used drivers! Like I told the last guy I bought used subs from... thanks for breaking them in for me :lol:

·
Banned
361 Posts
I can't cast all the blame. Growing up and becoming a man, I realize we all get thrown curve balls and get screwed, but sometimes we arent as innocent as we think :p

Can they even be reconed anymore? I don't think maelstrom-x's can be... I think in an email from exodus he was sayin its all assembly line yadda yadda...

·
Banned
361 Posts
LOL, looks like kryptonitewhite and I are predators when it comes to finding good deals on used drivers! Like I told the last guy I bought used subs from... thanks for breaking them in for me :lol:
I NEVER buy used! But you can't get Avalanches, or Tumults anymore :(

and in all actuallity, for around $200, you can't beat the IB's.... I'm simply afraid to go Ascendant/Fi again. Scott seems good enough though... I'm sure i'll come around. Cautious ;)

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Let's try to stay on track guys... a few members are following this thread and getting notifications to find posts that really do not pertain to the thread. :whistling:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Kryptonitewhite... definitely sorry about the issues you had with AA. Long before I took over things though... on another note, yes the Avalanches can be reconed very close to original spec. Slight difference in surround material, other than that... same soft parts. Seems that they are well regarded drivers in the IB circles even given the lower qts (from memory as it has been a few years since I designed and OEM'd them for Ascendant)

·
Banned
361 Posts
Kryptonitewhite... definitely sorry about the issues you had with AA. Long before I took over things though... on another note, yes the Avalanches can be reconed very close to original spec. Slight difference in surround material, other than that... same soft parts. Seems that they are well regarded drivers in the IB circles even given the lower qts (from memory as it has been a few years since I designed and OEM'd them for Ascendant)
Let it be known, I know you have done a lot to try and locate them after 3 years of silence, and I very much appreciate it. My issues were with previous owners, and you have gone well beyond your call of duty to try and help me. Thank you!

41 - 57 of 57 Posts