Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone. :wave: Im searching for some good equalization too enhance the quality of my current Audessey Pro. Kit. I've been looking at the miniDSP but i've noticed there's a lot of such devices. So now im a bit confused, looking for help finding something really good. :D

My speakers are the B&W CM series (CMC2, 2x CM9, 2x CM5) . The subwoofers are two SVS SB12-NSD and three Clark TST209 Transducers with an Dayton SA240-B 240W amp. My AVR is a Denon AVR-4311 with audessey pro. My Bluray player is the Denon DBP-4010UD.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
What problems are you trying to address? Audyssey Pro + XT32 does a fine job.
Hi hjones buddy. :) Well i do have some acoustic treatment but my room is rather small. So i properly still need some correction in the lower frequencies.

Im not hearing any really terrible acoustics right now but i just want something that gives me a better understandment of what's going on and also better tweakability. Audyssey (even the pro version) is rather limited in that department.

My room:

My last Audessey curves:

My gallery on bluray.com. --> >Link<

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Are you looking to EQ full range or just the subs?

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
If just the subs, the BFD will to a good job for you. Just go "easy" on boosts or you will run out of amp in a hurry. Bass trapping will help LF frequency response as well as "speed" or transient response of the way the sub sounds in the room.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
AGreed^^ but if doing ful range a Yamaha YDP2006 is the very best digital eq around. You can find them used for around $150 on eBay, dont buy the one listed for $500. Ive seen him list that one for over a year now and he wont take anything less than $400 for it and thats crazy as I bought mine for $120+shipping and got a second one for free.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Are you looking to EQ full range or just the subs?
I think i will start out with the bass region but i might get hooked and go higher up in freq. if it doesn't mess up Audessey too much. Hehe. :doh:
If just the subs, the BFD will to a good job for you. Just go "easy" on boosts or you will run out of amp in a hurry. Bass trapping will help LF frequency response as well as "speed" or transient response of the way the sub sounds in the room.
Thank you for pointing me in the right direction hjones. I really appreciate it. :T

In my small room i have quite a lot of treatment. 10x 4" thick owens corning 705 type rockwool panels behind the front left, right, back wall and bottom corners. 8x 2" panels on the sides. A 12"x12" rockwool cube and Auralex Subdude HD under each of my subwoofers. Two 32"x24" 4" rockwool panels behind my center speaker and foam plugs in all of my speakers. I just ordered 2x 39"x39" 2.8" foam for the ceiling and will be getting a thick curtain for the windows.

The BFD? is there a particular of this or what is this? Sorry im a newbie at equalizing. :blush:
AGreed^^ but if doing ful range a Yamaha YDP2006 is the very best digital eq around. You can find them used for around $150 on eBay, dont buy the one listed for $500. Ive seen him list that one for over a year now and he wont take anything less than $400 for it and thats crazy as I bought mine for $120+shipping and got a second one for free.
Yamaha YDP2006, Got ya. :T Im from denmark but i'll see what i can find or else i'll import it. :D

Thanks for the pointers. :nerd:

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
This kills it for me: "20-bit A/D and D/A convertors sampling at 44.1 kHz" as it inserts additional conversions in the signal path and at lower resolution than most of my recordings.

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
BFD is short for the Behringer Feedback Destroyer. It is really made for pro sound applications to null out frequency peaks that cause feedback (the ear splitting squeal) from the speakers to mics. But, it is a very flexible equalizer that works well for subs. You can select which frequencies to boost or cut as well as how wide a band of frequencies each filter affects ("Q"). DSP1124P was the model number that was very popular. I know that model numbers changed not long ago, so maybe someone can fill in the new number for us.

Check out the REW forum here. It is a free analysis tool that you run on a laptop. With a calibrated mic and an inexpensive mic preamp/mixer (the mic requires 48V that the mixer provides) you can be up and running with a very nice anlaysis tool for about $150-175.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
This kills it for me: "20-bit A/D and D/A convertors sampling at 44.1 kHz" as it inserts additional conversions in the signal path and at lower resolution than most of my recordings.
:scratch: :heehee:
Well, playing Hi-Rez digital recordings, you will then subject them to a 20/44.1 A/D in order get the signals into this EQ and, then, they are subjected to a 20/44.1 D/A to get them out. Imposing a redundant A/D/A is one thing but doing it at lowish resolution is another. May be a nice EQ but it is from another century.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I found some Behringers in Germany. Any good? --> >Link<

How does the "Ultradrive" and "Ultracurve" models differ from the "Feedback Destroyer"? It is the "Behringer FBQ2496 Feedback Destroyer Pro" i need right?

I also found some used Yamaha YDP2006 at a Danish website although a bit pricey at 329$ but the best i could find. :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Well, playing Hi-Rez digital recordings, you will then subject them to a 20/44.1 A/D in order get the signals into this EQ and, then, they are subjected to a 20/44.1 D/A to get them out. Imposing a redundant A/D/A is one thing but doing it at lowish resolution is another. May be a nice EQ but it is from another century.
Alright maybe it's best too stick too only Subwoofer equalizing then?

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Do you honestly think that the difference is audible? There are still many of these in use today. They sold for $2000 new in the early 90s

·
Super Moderator
9,203 Posts

May be a nice EQ but it is from another century.
Trust me Kal, it’s the quietest and cleanest EQ I’ve ever used. Totally blew away the best analog models I’d used in the past. Tony and I both swapped out our AudioContol C-131’s after spending ten minutes with the Yamaha.

YDP2006 brief evaluation

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Do you honestly think that the difference is audible? There are still many of these in use today. They sold for $2000 new in the early 90s
Well, I cannot say for certain since I have never heard or seen one but, judging from the vintage, I suspect so.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
All I can say is that it dramatically improved the sound of my mains after I used REW and adjusted the frequencies on the Yamaha that needed tweaking. You might be pleasantly surprised Kal. it was better than the Audio control C131 EQS that I previously used for the job as Wayne pointed out. I also bought the YDP's sister the YDG2030 because I liked it so much. I dont think you can find a better EQ out there for anywhere near the price.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
All I can say is that it dramatically improved the sound of my mains after I used REW and adjusted the frequencies on the Yamaha that needed tweaking. You might be pleasantly surprised Kal. it was better than the Audio control C131 EQS that I previously used for the job as Wayne pointed out. I also bought the YDP's sister the YDG2030 because I liked it so much. I dont think you can find a better EQ out there for anywhere near the price.
I was not commenting on its efficacy as an EQ because I believe that room correction is much more important and noticeable than differences in resolution (above 16/44.1) or, even, competent but redundant A/D/A. What I was saying is that I would expect that the insertion of this unit, with it set completely flat, would be noticeable. I have experience with several modern, sophisticated digital units and the ones that use analog in/outs are detectable, if only barely. Of course, they all cost much much more than this Yamaha goes for.

Also, that is why, at least, for two channel, I prefer one that is digital all the way including in/out, like the original Z-Systems RDP-1 that I reviewed a long time ago. Unfortunately, there is no standardized consumer digital connection scheme for multichannel.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
BFD is short for the Behringer Feedback Destroyer. It is really made for pro sound applications to null out frequency peaks that cause feedback (the ear splitting squeal) from the speakers to mics. But, it is a very flexible equalizer that works well for subs. You can select which frequencies to boost or cut as well as how wide a band of frequencies each filter affects ("Q"). DSP1124P was the model number that was very popular. I know that model numbers changed not long ago, so maybe someone can fill in the new number for us.

Check out the REW forum here. It is a free analysis tool that you run on a laptop. With a calibrated mic and an inexpensive mic preamp/mixer (the mic requires 48V that the mixer provides) you can be up and running with a very nice anlaysis tool for about $150-175.
Yes i figured out the short for it thanks. :)

I might get the BFD. Im uncertain about the Yamaha though.

My main concern is the lower Bit/KHz as my AVR and bluray player both are 24bit/192KHz. For the Subwoofer i don't think this will matter but for the mains it might.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts