Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I've been making some measurements today and I noticed how much of a difference my own position in the room makes to the FR graph results. And this has got me to thinking where the best position for my body is when running sweeps...... Is lying down a good idea?

I also tried running an extension lead to my mouse and running the test with me outside the room. I ran three sweeps. Most of the graph was consistent. But, where I have a deep null at around 120HZ, the graph spiked null ranges from 37dB to 49dB. That's with no changes in the room whatsoever. Is that due to changing noise floor levels?

Cheers

Max

·
Registered
104 Posts
You want to try to be as low to the ground as possible or if at all possible up high on a ladder.

Just kidding! :dumbcrazy: I have no idea but I don't think it really makes a difference as long as you are not crowding the mic or spl meter.

·
Super Moderator
9,309 Posts

I've been making some measurements today and I noticed how much of a difference my own position in the room makes to the FR graph results. And this has got me to thinking where the best position for my body is when running sweeps......
Basically you don’t want to be between the sound source and the mic. Since bass frequencies end up being something close to an omni-directional signal, I make sure I’m somewhere directly behind the mic, ~180˚off-axis from the element.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
35 Posts
Since eq results can vary considerably based on mic position, a suggestion is to take readings at sevral positions around the listening position and average them. That way you can see how the room affects the readings independent (sort-of) of the position. For example if you see a severe dip at 80hz for all readings you know that is definitely a problem to fix.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Allthough i use all manual setup, when i did play with Audessy i would lay on the floor. I also shut off the a/c, Fridge, put the dogs outside also held my breath :)whistling:) basically trying to eliminate any noise in the house.:T

1 - 8 of 8 Posts