Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I joined a while back for advice on upgrading my system. Became convinced about Onkyo and Audyssey and was going to get a 876 but they ran out. So I went ahead and got a TX-NR807. Very happy with it and the Audyssey rocks.

Due to an ongoing illness and treatment my head is a bit foggy and thinking through what would normally be an enjoyable technical challenge can take me forever. So I am asking for some guidance and recommendations.

This AVR has a pile of listening modes for both video and audio. I have tried a few and it sounds good but I am certain that I am not getting the maximum from this system. I have 5.1, all Klipsch. What is the sonic difference and / or personal preferences for the listening modes?

Dolby Digital Direct
Dolby Digital
THX Cinema
Dolby Digital TV Logic
Dolby Digital Theater Dimensional
Dolby Digital DTS Surround Sensation

On music I usually go to the All Channel Stereo.

Thanks all

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
I joined a while back for advice on upgrading my system. Became convinced about Onkyo and Audyssey and was going to get a 876 but they ran out. So I went ahead and got a TX-NR807. Very happy with it and the Audyssey rocks.

Due to an ongoing illness and treatment my head is a bit foggy and thinking through what would normally be an enjoyable technical challenge can take me forever. So I am asking for some guidance and recommendations.

This AVR has a pile of listening modes for both video and audio. I have tried a few and it sounds good but I am certain that I am not getting the maximum from this system. I have 5.1, all Klipsch. What is the sonic difference and / or personal preferences for the listening modes?

Dolby Digital Direct
Dolby Digital
THX Cinema
Dolby Digital TV Logic
Dolby Digital Theater Dimensional
Dolby Digital DTS Surround Sensation

On music I usually go to the All Channel Stereo.

Thanks all
Hello,
Some of the Modes are Designed for 5.1 Content like Dolby Digital and DTS. Others are Designed for 2 Channel Sources.
All Channel Stereo can be used on 5.1 and 2.0 Sources, but I prefer Dolby Digital or THX Cinema for 5.1 Sources as there is Discrete Information for each Channel with 5.1 Sources.

However, whatever sounds best to you is fine. Some enjoy having all Channels playing at a high volume like with All Channel Stereo.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Banned
4,015 Posts
Its all down to preference as JJ has already pointed out, for Discrete 5.1 DD & DTS I would use them as they are but adding post processing like THX can soften the tone and balance out the treble due to its implementation, 2 channel sources can be played around a bit, as more choices are available like you have already mentioned all channel stereo for music but some will like it and some not, let your ears decide and then just sit back and enjoy...

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
For movies I almost always use exclusively the THX Cinema and THX Ultra modes, they make the room sound fantastic.

·
Banned
4,015 Posts
THX Ultra 2 mode can only be used with a 7.1 speaker set up, and THX Cinema can be used with any 5.1 source and speakers.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I find the THX modes sound very thin. I prefer the DTS Neo:6 settings for music or cinema audio.

·
Banned
4,015 Posts
I find the THX modes sound very thin. I prefer the DTS Neo:6 settings for music or cinema audio.
That is interesting as THX is a post processing mode and is used to correct tonal balance across all channels and never felt it made the sound thin, what about if you use THX on top of the DTS codec does it still yield the same results?

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
For music I use stereo only, for everything else, I also exclusively use the THX modes. Its actually quite interesting that a lot of us are doing that independently.

·
Registered
40 Posts
That is interesting as THX is a post processing mode and is used to correct tonal balance across all channels and never felt it made the sound thin, what about if you use THX on top of the DTS codec does it still yield the same results?
If I play something DTS and apply any of the THX sound modes it instantly removes a lot of the mid-range to high bass. DTS sounds very full. I can liken it to stereos of old that had a "loudness" setting. Just my opinion of course.

·
Banned
4,015 Posts
If I play something DTS and apply any of the THX sound modes it instantly removes a lot of the mid-range to high bass. DTS sounds very full. I can liken it to stereos of old that had a "loudness" setting. Just my opinion of course.
Thanks for the reply, it is always interesting to hear peoples opinions as they may not always be the same and that is what this forum is for :T

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
To me, it comes down to what sounds best to you. While I generally prefer THX Cinema for 5.1 Encoded Data, it is just that a preference. It is great that many AVR's offer a myriad of choices.

All Channel Stereo is quite popular for all Sources as it has all of the Speakers playing at a high level.
That being said, I prefer using a Surround Mode that is in keeping with the way the Audio Engineers who Authored the Disc intended the Channels to be used.

Not all Surround Mixes are created equal. Some Engineers prefer to not have the Surrounds that involved preferring to have most information in the Center Channel and Mains.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
359 Posts
Whenever I have the yen to apply surround to a 2-channel source, I also use DTS Neo:6. I find it emphasises the mid-bass a bit more than the Dolby modes giving you a fuller, more robust sound. I'm into classical and jazz and use discrete stereo or 5/7.1 directly from my Oppo 83SE for a good 95% of my listening and movies.

·
Registered
581 Posts
On a related subject... does anyone have any insight/recommendations on which mode(s) work best for 7.1 speaker setup when listening to 5.1 source (which is still the case for most BluRay material)? My TX-NR3007 manual has a large table showing which modes are available with difference source formats, but the subsequent descriptions are not always clear how each mode processes the material or utilizes the Surround Back channels (to be fair, with ~30-40 different modes offered by this unit, that could be a 100 page manual in itself). I've only had a few hours to play with the setup, but I don't seem to be getting much action from the rear surrounds with 5.1 material.

Regards,
sga2

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
THX Ultra 7.1 does a great job of expanding 5.1 to 7.1

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks to everyone who wrote. I was leaning in the directions that most of you mentioned but the explanations and differing results is exactly what I was hoping to find. As I mentioned I am somewhat brain fogged right now and on paper there are quite a few options available.

You guys are the best.

·
Registered
78 Posts
How do you rid the muffled kind of sound for music? Almost sounds like your ears are plugged a little.

·
Registered
919 Posts
with 2CH MUSIC (my system is 7.2): stereo setting

with 2.0 SOURCE (my system is 7.2): DTS Neo 6 Cinema setting

with 5.1 SOURCE (my system is 7.2): DTS Neo 6 setting

with 7.1 SOURCE (my system is 7.2): TrueHD/ DTS-HD setting

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
I use Direct for 5.1/6.1/7.1 sources
Dolby PLII for Stereo sources

my room is sufficiently treated that THX modes sound rather poor, as its top end rolloff is not needed at all

1 - 20 of 35 Posts